Rate Before Delete!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by SudoWorks LLC, Jan 9, 2009.

1. SudoWorks LLC

SudoWorks LLC Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Anyone else think this is the worst idea ever?

For our App: In our actual "reviews" most range from 3 - 5 stars I think our Average would be about 4 Stars if you just added up the reviews. :)

Our actual rating right now is 2.5 stars and I will tell you why. :(

We Targeted OS 2.0 to make it compatible for people who had not updated yet. Because of this the App is susceptible to all of the instability of the early versions of the iphone OS and as such if the user does not reboot their iPhone (freeing up Ram) often the App can crash on Loading. This bug did not show up in our testing. We have since corrected the issue and plan to release 1.1 shortly. Sadly it is too late to save our rating.

For a large portion of iPhone users If it does not run the first time they try it they just delete and 1 Star the App. Why ask only those users deleting and App if they like the App? What about our users that love the App and do not plan on deleting it? Does apple not understand this?

As our rating has dropped so have our sales. From 150 Copies per day worldwide to 25 or so. Not enough to even cover funding future development. At this point It almost seems like we should just Update to fix the bug. Move on and make a Fart App or an App that makes a fake xRay.. The system is seriously flawed. :confused:

[//Rant]

2. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    I never rate the app when I delete it.

Also, if you think that it is best for you, you don't have to keep supporting 2.0 forever. The customers who don't have 2.1 or 2.2 don't have to upgrade, and it's very normal in all kinds of industries to keep things backwards compatible to some point, but not forever.

3. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Yep, I've been saying the same thing since that sh!t was introduced. Might as well have kept the old "anyone who wants can post a review" thing.

4. Talon Raines

Talon Raines Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Game Engineer
    Orlando, FL
    The worst thing I did for Klockotock was make it free for a few days, I blame that combined with "rate on delete" for significant drop in rating. Like you, our written reviews are all very positive, so I'm unsure what else to think.

5. Kinl

Kinl Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    dev
    I have to agree its the most stupid idea I've seen in a rating system in a long time... give people who dont like the app the opportunity to rate (otherwise why would they be deleting it) and not give an equal incentive to people who like the app to rate is only ever going to give more negative results, especially when coupled with a temporary software bug..... Booo to Apple, big time!!!

6. byteclub

byteclub Member

Dec 30, 2008
    co-founder of ByteClub.com
    NYC
  7. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

It is very simple. If you are deleting it, you don't like it. Why would you do this? They are all going to be one stars. I never rate on delete. I go in later and rant.

8. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    if i didn't like the app or whatever i usually default to 3 stars.. that way my review doesn't really mess anything up.. if i enjoyed it i would give it 4, and why not 5? well because the 5 star games don't get deleted :)

9. brewstermax

Exactly, but I have lately, as my iPod is filling up (the pages), so I had to delete games that I have beaten. It is dumb, but I had to. I gave Blocked 5 stars, when I deleted it.

10. jarikata

jarikata Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    You don't necessarily have to DELETE apps even when your nine pages are full. Mine are but you can just unmark the apps uyou don't want to use right now when synchronizing your iPod in iTunes. Just go to the the programs tap and unmark the apps you don't want to have in your iPod RIGHT NOW and then mark them again when you want to come back to that game/app... I have many apps now that I have unmarked and mark them again when I want to use them.

11. brewstermax

Ok, when you have them synced to your computer, and you uncheck one, it deletes it. And it does the same thing the next time you sync.

12. jarikata

jarikata Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Yes, it is gone from the iPod, for now. To me delete means "gone forever"..... when you uncheck one the app stays in your computer and iTunes programs menu and you can get it back when you want by marking and syncing again. That what happens at least in my Mac.