Universal Rapture - World Conquest (by Tundra)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Columbo

Columbo Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    So far we've been defending the implementation of IAP in our game. However, when it comes to this specific issue - the missions that require stuff from the shop - I think that's a totally valid complaint.

Quite a few of the missions were created with the intention of showing the player around the game. For example, missions that ask you to win without using miracles, or through focusing on tech, are intended partially to encourage the player to try a variety of play styles.

Similarly, the 'use a custom x' missions are intended to show the player that customization options exist. They were not intended as a paywall or an encouragement to spend.

However, when trying to balance the prices of the shop items, we dropped the ball and weren't thinking of the effect on these missions. The semi-random order that missions are dealt out means that some users could end up with too many of these types of mission too early.

We are going to push out an update as soon as we can, which will make sure that there is one cheap item in each category so that people don't end up having to grind excessively to get through them. In addition we're planning on increasing the end of game gold rewards a little, and cutting the cost of mission skipping.

The update requires submitting to Apple, so will take a little time to get through their approvals process (hopefully Apple don't have anything important going on this week to distract them :))

2. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #62 ScotDamn, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    Regardless of all that though, if you rate a game poorly or otherwise without playing it, you're trolling. My comment was to someone who did exactly that. You can't rate games with only second hand info or else your word means nothing. Who rates games they haven't played? Besides being ridiculous it's beyond closed minded.

I just don't understand how only certain games get a ton of heat when offering the same model as countless others that didn't have the same witch hunt.

3. iammike

iammike Active Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Middle of Vermont
    So I got a chance to play a bit last night. Aside from the aforementioned missions, which you can very easily do with the gold you accumulate, IAP is 100% optional.

Now, the game. It is basically Galcon on a round surface, and with a ton of special powers and power-ups.

The round surface makes it very difficult to see what's going on everywhere. Nay, impossible. Coupled with the fact that the game moves VERY fast, and you're going to miss a lot. As a god, I would expect to be able to see/keep up with all things. The spherical view is novel, but I don't feel it works very well in actual use.

The special powers and power-ups are almost too numerous. I have no idea what a fraction of them do. I can read their titles when I put my finger over them, but I still have no idea what their effect is. Generally, they kill people, but they all seem to do so in different ways. Perhaps it's mentioned in the instructions (I only did the tutorial), but the number of powers ought to be reduced and covered in the tutorial. The power-up and "focus" systems are just as ill-defined.

A lack of a good view and far too many options leaves me feeling overwhelmed. Perhaps this is the first sign of things to come with age (I'm 32), but this is the first game that has ever left me feeling like I'm not quick enough on the trigger. I recently picked up and became proficient at DOTA, though, so I'm thinking this is design flaw rather than me.

3/5. Nicely put together, but overwhelming. Sometimes less is more.

4. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #64 ScotDamn, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    My comment wasnt directed at you. I only played for 15 minutes or so before going to bed. If forced to give a star rating strictly off initial impressions 3/5. Nothing to do with IAP, in fact I never even noticed it existed. Of course I'm not obsessive about IAP either.

More to do with the Galcon like gameplay which is what had me initially pause purchasing. Not a fan of this type of gameplay because they usually feature shallow strategy. Rapture combats this with adding some choices a different victory conditions which is pretty cool. But I didn't have much time to dig in so I can't give it a fair review yet.

Edit: iammike nailed it though, it feels like galcon on a sphere with added attacks. It's cool looking and initially fun to interact with but it makes it difficult to see whats going on.

5. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    As an avid Fan of Risk style board games, when I first saw it, thought it might be just what I was looking for, but the video made it clear that it could be frustrating to manage the rts/galcon tactics on a sphere playing field. Was hoping that wasn't the case, which is too bad, the game looks amazing.

6. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    Like Risk only fun!

7. Columbo

Sep 1, 2014
    This update (1.0.1) has now been approved, and should be available in the App store.

There's now a cheap item for each of the categories that a mission might ask for. We've increased the end of game gold earning rate and cut the mission skip cost.

We also fixed a few bugs and added a Scottish civilization to the game to try to help console any disappointed Scottish independence voters.

8. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Looks interesting. It's the only game im thinking about buying this week. I didn't like Galcon much so what's my chances of liking this?

You see that's where an in app full game purchase is needed for someone like myself who wants to give this a try to see if it's my type of game or not. I can't do that and have to buy and if I don't like it?? I still think IAP full game upgrade is the best win/win for both devs and gamers.

9. vallah

vallah Active Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Why some civilisations are cheaper than others?:)

10. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    I'm not much of a Galcon guy, but this is a nice little strategy game. The main difference, and the reason I like this take on Galcon, is the planetary interface along with the ton of unlockables. The gameplay is very fast paced though, and it is a numbers game very much like Galcon. So if those two things are what turned you off from Galcon, don't expect anything different here. Having said that, I wasn't a fan of Galcon's way of doing it, but I do like Rapture's take on that type of gameplay.

11. Columbo

Sep 1, 2014
    We've just released version 1.0.7 of Rapture, which adds French, Spanish and German localisation.

We've also cut the price to $1.99/£1.49/€1.79 temporarily (roughly 1/3 off - depending on the territory!)

Press release

12. Columbo

Sep 1, 2014
    We've released version 1.1.1 today.

This is a really big update for us, and we're pleased to announce you can now play Rapture - World Conquest multiplayer with up to three opponents over the internet with Game Center, or on your local WiFi.

There's a few graphics updates too, including some extra special effects as the rapture approaches.

To celebrate this release, we've temporarily slashed our price to $0.99/£0.79/€0.99. That's over 60% off from our normal price!

13. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    No idea how I've missed this game, as I love this genre, but I am downloading now...

14. heretik

heretik Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Please, for the love of god, include the option of switching languages. The German localisation is awful.

15. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I've been playing this game for a few days and am liking it so far. One issue though is that I don't seem to be able to use the Plague power. I drake it onto the map and no matter where I drag it it doesn't seem to do anything and my mana doesn't go down.

Any ideas?

16. Columbo

Sep 1, 2014
    Sorry to hear this. I've been able to reproduce the issue, and have a fix which will be in our next update (might be a few weeks away though, I'm afraid).

Thanks for reporting it!

17. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Great - thanks a lot!

18. Columbo

Sep 1, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback. Sorry you're finding the localisation isn't up to scratch.

A language select option has been added and will be in the next update which should be released in May.

19. Columbo

Sep 1, 2014
    We've just released version 1.2.2 and our big news is that Rapture - World Conquest is now free

To say thank you to existing users, they will automatically receive the VIP pack which removes all ads and gives a bonus coin doubler and 10,000 gold.

The update also adds support for the Metal API and 64-bit CPUs allowing the game to run at a silky smooth 60 frames-per-second graphics on high-end devices.

The plague bug that dancj found is fixed, and there's a language select option as per heretik's comment.