Universal Rapture - World Conquest (by Tundra)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Hi,
    I really want to love the game ... but the in cash system (like it is now) makes me sad. If someone want to have everything without work ... ok, let him pay once extra, no problem ...

I would even pay 7,99 Euro for a "complete pack" which unlocks everything ... so you could grab around 11,- Euro from me ...

But: Right now I have paid 2,69 Euro for the naked core game and 2,69 Euro for the "gold doubler" ... and I think, I must play years to unlock all the extras ... on every of my iOS devices. :eek:

And: Do not forget, that you cannot spend all the gold into new features like planets etc. ... you need also gold for some normal god powers ... so it will take longer and longer to get new content.

So, from me: I really love the gameplay itself and without this system and some changes I would love it ... but right now ... I would not purchase it again ... :(

Two little things at the gameplay:

1. Not everybody want to play the game in five minutes ... and it can be a little bit fast ... so you should put in a speed option to regulate the game speed (50%, 75% and 100%).

2. I find no way to "collect" my armies in one country ... if I have a land at a border I want to protect it ... but I find no way to move all units into one of my locations ... this is a real negative point.

2. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    Thanks Mythbuster,

This is what i needed to know to let this fast cashcow pass. Sad that you spent money on it.

3. iammike

iammike Active Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Middle of Vermont
    Myth, thanks. If you have Paypal, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a buck for your efforts/loss.

4. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    This sounds like pretty standard IAP protocol. The real deal breakers for me are play timers and progress payments.

I hope this is able to scratch my Populous itch.

5. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Did you purchase and play the game?

6. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    I watched the promo video and instantly got it. It looks like a good successor to Populous and what GODUS should have been. There have been a bunch of these rotating 3D globe games lately. Planetary Annihilation, First Strike, etc.

7. TokyoDan

Oct 7, 2010
    #27 TokyoDan, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

8. Stephanius

Stephanius Member

Nov 17, 2013
    I simply don t buy games that have IAP/gold purchase. Make the game free with unlock then but the mere option of having gold in indicates a developper that wants tomexploits its player base instead of providing s good game value.

Sad as the game looks cool but will be without me as long as i see thr IAPs in top of having to pay for it

9. quebecotr

quebecotr Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Male
    Retired teacher
    Milwaukee, WI
    IAPs - man, I am tired of games that want me to keep paying to play. Not one chance that I'd give this a second look. Too bad, the game looks pretty interesting...

10. TokyoDan

Oct 7, 2010
    I was just thinking that I used to go out at least twice a week to pubs and bars and spend 20 to 40 bucks each time and at the end had nothing to show for it except the memory of a good time. In arcades we had to pay a quarter every single time we wanted to have a go at a game. And there is nothing wrong with trying to make money if the value of what is being sold is worth the price. Almost everything in life is pay as you go. Why are we so much against IAPs in games? It is a mind set that was created during the days of the first computer and console games: buy it. own it. never pay for it again. But as long as you didn't own it (at the arcade) it was completely expected and not a taboo to pay to play.

I guess we just have to change our mindset and forget about 'owning' games. We have to look at it as renting games or get into the arcade 'pay-to-play' mindset. That's what a lot of developers are so desperately trying to do...change our mindset.

11. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012

I was about to buy it but now I'm in two minds. I'd like to play a bit to see if I like it or not before buying but I have to commit without knowing if its what I want or like and if the IAP is bad then I've wasted my time and money.

12. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Devs, sounds like your already aware that the folks that frequent these pages, in general, spend more time and money than the average mobile gamer, so pleasing them is no easy task. Appealing to this crowd may earn respect among the hardcore, but doing so, won't necessarily move you up any AppStore top list, but it certainly won't hurt. When I saw the first couple post revealing that this interesting looking $3 game also offered PTW IAP, I had to read on as I knew there would be outrage. Whether the IAP's are ptw or not is irrelevant, so far the perception is that they are. The good thing is, your game has popped onto the hotlist, out of nowhere, no easy task. But unless your featured in this weeks TA release coverage I can only see dropping your price to FREE will keep people talking about your game.

13. Columbo

Columbo Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Thank you. That's pretty cool to be on Touch Arcade's front page, I hadn't seen that!

I've got to admit, I've been pretty surprised to the reaction to the IAPs. We firmly believe that if you purchase this game, you are getting the full game experience. You are not buying a ticket to play a f2p game.

I'm struggling to see how this game differs from Reckless Racing 2, FieldRunners2 or Kingdom Rush, or countless other premium titles. You earn gold by playing, you buy extra gold if and only if you want to take a shortcut. Personally, I didn't buy IAP in any of those games and the fact that IAP was available for those that wanted it didn't bother me, although I understand people's strong opinions about IAP.

If anything, those games I mention seem far worse to me because the upgrades/purchases of your cars/towers are central to your progress through the game yet AFAIK those titles didn't receive a similar reaction. In our title the purchases are limited to:

1. Aesthetic/Customization items.
    2. In-game boosts (these are not the miracles which are the game's God powers, these are cheats that your AI opponents don't get to use)

As for the latter, if you're struggling against the AI and don't wish to use powerups to get through, you can simply change the difficulty level at any time to make the game easier overall, or just to get through a tough mission.

14. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I just picked this up, partly as it looks cool and also out of sympathy for a dev that's getting a pretty hard time mostly from people that haven't even played it. I'll make sure to write up some impressions and see if it's been blown out of proportion when I have a free moment tonight.

15. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    So you rate the game poorly even though you haven't played the game? So essentially you're trolling the dev, eh?

This logic amazes me.

16. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Same here, Pete. I was on the fence but with all this spontaneous hate it's driven me to, ya know, buy the game and rate it off of actual game impressions.

17. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    So ... and? What is your rating? :confused:

After playing it three hours right now I would rate it with two stars ... for a better rating I miss this points:

1. Speed adjust.

2. A way to move units to your own country (to defend borders).

3. iCloud saving for everything you purchased within the game (planets, skins etc.)

4. A little rebalance for the gold you get.

5. A change in the iAP: Allow it only one time to buy the gold pack and make them restoreable.

Then I would rate it 4,5 stars! :cool:

18. TokyoDan

Oct 7, 2010
    I think It's not the game or how IAPs are implemented. It is the timing. If Rapture had been released before Clash of Clans and all of its clones people may not have been so against IAPs. Since CoC there have been so many of those treadmill ginding pay to speed things up type of games just the thought of IAP in a game turns serious gamers (and cheap-ass losers who don't want to pay for anything) against the game before they even give it a chance.

CoC and it clones and some game studios has spoiled the system for everyone.

19. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    I don't think it's fair to accuse people of this community of trolling or hate because of their reactions to the iap's in this game. T.A. Members are not cheap asses either. In general we like to spend money, we are eagerly waiting for the new releases on thursday that are not free but on the contrary do cost money. If the game seems worth it, we don't mind to pay 20€ or more but as serious gamers (for the most part) we are fed up with company's trying to milk us as cows. Make a good game, ask your price and offer iap's for additional content. Look at the positive feedback on battle riders, the race game that came out a week ago at a price that was considered by many, including myself, as to low.

20. BadMrFrosty

BadMrFrosty Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Well put, Dragan