iPhone Ramses II by Ravensburger Digital for iPad

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Ravensburger, Aug 23, 2011.

1. #1 Ravensburger, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
    Hi gamer friends! First off, we would like to thank you all for the great release of Puerto Rico for the iPad. While you have been off building your new digital colonies in PR, we have been hard at work preparing our next board game release for iOS. This time we are proud to present to you Ramses II, the ancient Egypt-themed memory game. We are very excited to announce that this app will be available on not only the iPad, but iPhones and iPod Touches as well!
    Release is set for this Thursday, here’s a sneak peek with some first-look screenshots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I get that it is a family friendly game (even the youngsters can play) not claiming anywhere near the complexity of PR and that it revolves around trying to find your assigned artifacts...but beyond that I'm not too sure how this game plays.

-How does a typical turn play?
    -Are our sought after artifacts public knowledge to all players?
    -How can a player thwart their opponent in this game?
    -Lastly, does the game track your best score or win/loss record?

3. tecwrtr

tecwrtr Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Senior Technical Writer
    Richmond, VA
    There's a reason this game only received a 5+ rating on BoardGameGeek. :(

I bought it, and would gladly take my $5 back. I normally love memory games.

As for your questions, I will answer as many as I can.

1. At the start of a typical turn, there is a card on the side of the board that shows the symbol you are looking for, and the point value you will receive should you be able to find it. The trick is that the board is comprised of 2x2 grids, and that only 1 of each 4 squares has a symbol.

You have to slide the plastic tiles (pyramids) one-by-one until you find a symbol. Once you have found a symbol, your turn is over. You have to slowly work your way across the board to the symbol you actually want (provided you remember where it is) without encountering any other symbols.

Just when you have an idea of what squares contain symbols and which are blanks, the Sandstorm card comes up, and the board is rotated 180 degrees. I don't know how much frustration little kids can stand, but I maxed out after 2 hours. I kept playing thinking that I was missing the fun part. :p

2. Yes, your sought after artifact is common knowledge.

3. I don't see how you can actively thwart your opponent. However, you can capitalize on their mistakes. They can slide tiles until they are a few spaces from the desired artiface, stumble on an incorrect artifact, and you can swoop in and quickly move to the correct artifact.

4. It tracks your best score, but I'm not sure about your win/loss record.

Hope that helps!