iPad rampant plagiarism in the appstore

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by case, Feb 18, 2009.

1. case

case Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Interaction Designer
    Michigan
    #1 case, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
    Ok, so I've seen this a few times and I'm sure you have too, but this time it was so freaking bad I had to post about it.

Often I see games where concept is knocked off of a arcade or console classic. This is not a big deal to me, but there are plenty of apps that plagiarize style, aesthetic, gameplay mechanics, the whole works, from titles that are still licensed!

If apple audits for "possibly inappropriate content" why not stop rampant plagiarism.

If I can't submit other peoples ideas as my original work in academia, why can devs profit off of other peoples' ideas, gfg.

So check this one out and please post your own examples:

http://appshopper.com/games/absorbed

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/home/588666.html

Smartball was one of my favorites, the copyright holder is Sony (epic/imagesoft).

Other recent, more obvious examples are the "Cu*Bert" ripoff, and the Duck Hunt clone.

Why is nothing being done about this? So.. we can't have mature content, but people can blatantly rip off existing (and well known!) works? c'mon Apple..

2. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    I think its good and bad. I mean, just because they have the same idea doesnt mean they couldn't be completely different games. In some cases they are the exact copy, and those i dont agree with. But in the end, i think it benefits everyone, i mean what are the chances that the original dev of that game is going to port it to iphone? Very slim, so this way we can get our favorite games and while they arent official, they are still fun.

3. case

case Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Interaction Designer
    Michigan
    It's the fact that they are making dollars off of someone else's original IP.

I could care less about cloning game mechanics, but when its a combination of elements stolen from the same work or a complete clone being touted as original work, I get frustrated :(

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Sure, ok, but the devs are still programming it. They're putting work into games they love. What's wrong with that? Sure, it's blatant rip-off, but like Rocketman said, most games won't get ported over. And who knows, the devs might actually do better jobs (every so often).

But they should give credit. I agree 100% there.

5. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Didn't Duck Hunt get removed from the app store because it was plagiarism? I say NO to it. Variations I'm fine with.

6. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

There is nothing illegal about designing a game that is almost an exact copy of another. As long as the name isn't copied, character names, or any other items that can be licensed, there is nothing legally wrong with it.

Now , if the person claims they created it out of thin air, well maybe they're being an idiot and a liar, but again, it isn't illegal.

Look at all the Tetris knock-offs as an example. Look at reality TV shows all copying each other, etc etc. Mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery, yada yada...

7. iKoda

iKoda Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Student
    We the consumers want the real deal. But if they wont give us the real thing, a clone will do just fine. (a good clone)

8. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    Last time I checked this same conversation was held in a thread entitled:

3 weeks ago

9. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    Well I happens I guess but there's a lot of ways to find legal loopholes and such.

10. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Smart Ball looks good, Absorbed looks shyte – it's so amateurish.

Anyway, If that counts as a rip-off, then Bounce On is a rip-off too?

11. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    I wouldn't say so.

Everything is a rip-off of something else these days, but there is a difference between copying a game directly and being influenced by a game.

It's nearly impossible (if not impossible) to create anything these days without being influenced by something else.

12. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I guess I'm having a stupid moment, but mechanics aside, how is Absorbed the exact same idea as SmartBall? SmartBall is about a boy that's been transformed into a blob and must shape-shift and defeat enemies to rescue someone (I forget the entire description). Absorbed is about a blob (that I believe has always been a blob) that's collecting bubbles. Don't quite see the connection there.

If you're going to cry "rip-off" how about this one: http://appshopper.com/games/trafficjam After all, eSoft Interactive already has two mobile games called... wait for it... Traffic Jam and Traffic Jam 2. Seems like a lot more blatant plagiarism there ;)