Rage + TV Out

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ChrisMayer, Nov 18, 2010.

1. ChrisMayer

ChrisMayer Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Developer / Designer
    Chichester, UK
    This is awesome ...there's no mention of it in the settings, but it works!

Plug in a Component or VGA cable BEFORE launching Rage and you can enjoy it on the big screen. Graphics still look super-sharp coming from my iPhone 4. There's a few little bugs (some text doesn't show), but it's all really playable.

This is the coolest thing I've seen from an iPhone game - thanks id Software! :)

2. Jeremy Alessi

Jeremy Alessi Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Rage HD on TV

I was hooking my iPhone up to my TV for some Netflix and decided to try Rage HD. Much to my surprise the TV out functionality was still in tact. As far as I know this feature isn't officially supported by games (though most of us developers have utilized this feature in development). Anyway, the game plays very well (better than normal) when you don't have to watch the screen you're tilting. My only question now ... if I had component cables would the game work in HD? Furthermore will it work with Apple TV? I think a trip to the Apple Store is in my near future ;)

3. Fafner

Fafner Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    #3 Fafner, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
    nifty!

Just tried with my ipad and component cables and it worked great!

I wonder what other games secretly work this way?

Now if only there was a remote app so I could use my iphone as a controller :)

4. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    i might be stating the obvious but there are a handful of games that you can do this with...

chopper 2 and the incident come to mind but i think i've heard of a few more.

5. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Pretty cool secret feature. Too bad all games can't do that.

But Apple will probably put a stop to it.

6. Alienmario

Alienmario Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    gaming! lol
    idk udk
    jailbroken iPhones with tvout app can do it with all apps ;)

7. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Sweet... got me checking out the price of the iPhone component cable now, heh heh....
    Wish this feature would get added into more games.

More importantly, is there a way to transpose the screen onto a 24" iMac?? When I move flats, I'm going to ditch my LCD TV (poor quality anyway) and just use the iMac as the main TV / Media hub. Theres no component input on the iMac...

8. Jeremy Alessi

Jeremy Alessi Member

Sep 1, 2009
    There exist a component to DVI converter. There are several other options as well.

9. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Yes really awesome and unexpected.
    I wish the iPhone would change in a actual controller (being able to see the buttons) when playing on the big screen, it's really cool.
    Every game should support this.

And, I secretely hope you could do the same thing (lag permitting) with an AppleTV....I would buy one in a blink of an eye of so.

10. TheQuadsphere

TheQuadsphere Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2009
    It's actually an official feature since 3.2.

We put it in the official game description/feature list and Apple approved the game without any problem or mention of it. So I guess, no reason for them to put a stop to it. They might even start to encourage and promote it, who knows!

If you can afford the pricey cable, i would definitely recommend it. Puts a huge grin on my face everytime I play the game on my big screen TV :D

11. Alienmario

Alienmario Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    gaming! lol
    idk udk
    yep, the iPad VGA cable

12. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Today iOS 4.2.1 is supposed to be out.
    Quite convenientely :)

I really hope to see an option in future games settings like the ones in the video now: Apple TV output :)
    And using the iPhone as a controller, posibly with graphics enabled on both output (to see buttons, interfaces, etc...)

I know you could (possibily in the future ATV AppStore) install directly Rage HD (or other games) on the Apple TV but...I would like to have a perfect mobile console that I can use on the big screen at home (using the same savegame, continuing the story...)

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Why would they do that if this feature just encourages people to buy their component cables?

You bet your sweet bippy that when I can airplay games' output to Apple TV I'll be buying one as fast as humanly possible! :)

14. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    It's absolutely official and legal to use TV out in any game. That is, it only depends on the devs themselves to implement TV out.

While it isn't as seamless as under Symbian or Windows Mobile (which, in addition to the genuine XGA mode of the Dell Axim x50v/x51v and some long-forgotten iMate models, "only" mirror the inner screen), it's certainly doable.

15. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    Apple won't chime in as DRM content can't be played over the VGA output in HD, only SD content. (Actually, this may have been the main reason for Apple's choosing NOT to mirror the internal screen of the iPad - not to allow people play DRM content on their TV in HD.)

16. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    Wow! Thanks for the heads-up! Will definitely check it out as soon as my iPhone 4 arrives, ready to be jailbroken (I have tons of other iStuff for development and teaching, all of them, consequently, may not be jailbroken; at last I can have a superfluous iDevice which I can also jailbreak.)

17. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I thought this was the whole point of airplay?

If we can only stream SD content to the Apple TV that really cripples its use. :(

18. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    Note that only DRM'ed content can't be played back in HD; free content (YouTube / one that you downloaded from somewhere and sync from iTunes) can.

19. shodanng

shodanng Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009