Radio 1 "Gaming Week"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Electric_Shaman, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Any UK residents heard about this "Gaming Week" that BBC Radio One are doing?

I heard about it today, and they had this guy on talking about his top 10 games of all time, with him recounting the 10 - 6 spots today. I was mildy interested, until he started talking about the games. At the top 10 spot, Half Life. According to him, Half Life is an online roleplaying game, similar to WoW. Players take control of a character in a post-apocalyptic world where a nuclear war has taken place, and when you kill guys you get points. Apparently, people even paid others to play for them when they had to go away from the computer. I'm sure there was more idiocy but I can't remember it now.

Just... wow. I can't wait to tune in for the next half.

And I was just starting to think radio was okay again. My mistake.
    Trying to find a recording of it online at the moment to share the facepalm but can't find one as of yet.

2. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

This makes me sad..... Although a good laugh all the same :p

3. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    What a freakin' douche.

4. Are you sure the word in the title is spelled "week?" It's easy to mistake those homonyms on radio...

5. Electric_Shaman

Jul 22, 2009
    #5 Electric_Shaman, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
    Found it online:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00v10fp/Greg_James_Monday_Start_of_Gaming_Week/
    Skip to around 2 hrs 13 min for the Half Life thing. Pretty much the only other thing I forgot to mention is he says Half Life 2 is a PC exclusive. But it's worth a listen just for how much he sounds like he thinks he know what he's talking about, and how far off he is.
    It's almost like he's confused with Fallout. Almost. But he'd still not quite be right even if he was talking about Fallout.
    Whilst it would make sense for them to be weak, the title is definitely week, as this thing is running till Friday, I think.

6. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I like BBC Radio 4 the best. Radio One is ok for some music but it can get annoying after a while.

7. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    Do people really call it the "Snezz" across the pond, or is that just him and his ignorance?

8. Electric_Shaman

Jul 22, 2009
    No that's not him being dumb, as far as I'm concerned it's a "snezz". What do you yanks call it? S.N.E.S?

9. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    #9 Outkast1, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
    Most of my friends and I have always just called it Super Nintendo or Super N.E.S. I kind of like "snezz" though lol.

But anyways, hearing that guy talk about Half-Life is painful..

10. Electric_Shaman

Jul 22, 2009
    So I guess you guys don't call an N.E.S. a "nezz" either then?

11. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    Huh, maybe it's me and my ignorance. :eek:

NES has always been "ness" to me and those I know. SNES is either " ess ness" or Super Nintendo when talked about where I live. Maybe it's just the pronunciation of the S that's throwing me off.

12. Electric_Shaman

Jul 22, 2009
    Heh well I know if I was talking about the NES and SNES together in the same sentence I might say "Super ness" instead of "snezz", just because I don't speak that clearly.

Anyway, does anyone know if what he was saying about Street Fight was accurate? Not really familiar with the franchise much so didn't know.
    Andddd I just realised the guys on the radio sound obscenely British.

13. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    It be SNEZZZZ!

14. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK