Universal Radical (by BeaverTap Games, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sink_or_swim, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Just left a 5 star rating and review on the App Store. Great job guys.

Having a hard time coming close to the top scores but I will be dedicating this weekend to getting better!

2. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Well thanks for giving the game a go! And hopefully your son and his friends will like it, too. Yeah, it is always a hard choice on going paid or free. Seems like you always alienate people no matter what you choose.

Thanks for the review, Anotherkellydown!

3. CHEESEYZOMBIE

CHEESEYZOMBIE Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Gamecenter not working? Couldn't upload my score.

4. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    I take it you are logged into GC and online (do you see the GC pop-down when you start the the game)?

If so, then double-click your Home button to bring up recently used apps, and swipe Radical up to kill it. Then restart Radical, and see if your score gets resent to GC.

Hopefully that takes care of it. If not then let me know.

5. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

So I loaded up Tiny Tower Vegas, as I've been doing several times a day for the last 170 days, and the first thing that pops up is a promotion do download Radical. Just thought that was interesting.

6. CHEESEYZOMBIE

CHEESEYZOMBIE Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Well that seems to have fixes it, thanks for the help!

7. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I opened Pocket Frogs (it just keeps on giving at a very leisurely pace) and up popped a small promotion for Radical too. The more I play (Radical) the more I like it. Works great portrait or landscape on my phone and ipad with no real benefit to either like in some games. Simple stuff but doesn't burn my retina like dEXTRIS did. Very good stuff. More Mikey though, please. Oh, and controller support for this would be kool. I did try it with a controller but nothing happened.

8. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Thanks for letting us know. Good to hear we are getting some cross promotion. Hopefully that will help bring us more downloads. :)

And I'm glad the game is growing on you, slamraman! You aren't alone wanting more Mikey, and no guarantees on adding controller support. How's that for being vague? ;)

Excellent! Yeah, we always resend GC scores when the game starts, instead of having a separate "Re-sync" button like we did in the Mikey games. So if your score doesn't send, just restart the game.

9. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    This would have been a nice Game&Watch game back in the day :)

Enjoying it more than I thought I would.
    The one and only continue per game is a smart move, à la Disco Zoo.
    I don't seem to be running out of ads though.

It took a while for my brain to accept the fact that you HAVE to go through the sides when there is no wall.
    I hope for both Mikes it does well ;)

Still stuck at 95 in normal, if some fellow TA high scorers wanna add me, my GC is Vic Sark.
    Congrats to Andy and Harvey for trusting the top of the charts lol.

10. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    #30 paulkane, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    This is a fun high score chaser, even though I'm not doing that well so far. I dig the wrap arounds, but they can be really tricky especially when you go in and back out quickly. My brain always wants to go to the center of the screen, so having those wrap arounds was a smart decision for adding a layer of difficulty.

I love the way the background colors randomly change from game to game, but sometimes the colors are PAINFUL...was that intentional for people who are color blind?

I've been so absorbed with Particle Mace and playing it with headphones, that I've been trying to do that more and more to immerse myself in games, but I have to be honest about the music. It's not bad, but maybe because it loops faster than I'm use to...I can't play Radical with the music on.

11. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Just started playing and really enjoy it, when I told my daughter it was a twitch game she correctly predicted Andy will be at the top spot :)

I'll be practicing over the weekend, it's a welcome distraction from all the 50 shades hype, 5 ads in half an hour !!!

12. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Thanks vicsark! Glad you are enjoying the game. I've been hearing a lot of folks say that they aren't sure about the game until they try it out. The one nice thing about it being free! :) Yeah, the wraps can be tough at first, because your initial instinct is to cut through the middle to get to the next gap.

Thanks, Paulkane! Yeah, I think the game would've been a lot less exciting without the wraps. The harder wraps you described (having to wrap and then wrap immediately after) can be really tough. Those took me forever to get in Hard mode during development. :)

And another thank you to you cloudpuff! I think pretty much everyone around here predicts Andy will be in the top spot of high scoring games like this. ;) Though he is getting a bit of competition hot on his heels!

13. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    @cloudpuff - She's so cute. :) When she becomes a game dev she better make a game for me.

"jojo48" is coming hard with 250. Wow. Love her GC pic. :D (I'm assuming "jojo48" is a her..)

14. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Enjoying this game very much, just want to throw another "Give us a one-time ad-removal IAP!" into the pot. Just paid for Zig Zag's ad removal, and I feel like it's one of the only truly honest IAP's there are.

15. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Loving this. Another great game guys. Wish I could get rid of the ads but how would I get my precious continues then? That being said, I think the ad balance is very well done. Great job guys

Edit: you guys should throw in a tip button or something, would throw a couple bucks your way..or offer like a different looking ship for a $1 or something. Maybe a changing color ship, or a Mikey ship.

16. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    Or Crossy Road that and have a vending machine with all sorts of icons to unlock. That model worked out really well for CR...

17. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    #37 vicsark, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    100k GC on the leaderboards and our TA players still on top, impressive :p
    This looks like a good number after 2 days, but who knows how many players go to 20 and are offered a continue for an ad lol.

I guess the "no IAP" strategy is intended to not "scare" some potential players or parents and rely only on ads?

18. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Yeah, this is all so new for us that I'm not sure what to expect. We've been watching the GC numbers steadily rise, so that has been exciting. Hope it continues! And make sure to tell all of your friends about the game. :)

That's part of the reasoning behind having no IAP. I'm sure the IAP label scares some people away, and probably makes others nervous -- especially when the game is free since there is always the worry that more devious IAP could be inserted at a future time.

19. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    She been learning a bit of coding at school and made a basic pong style game, so she's made a start:)

Her plan is to be an inventor, with the aim of making millions by invention zero calorie pizza and chocolate, and create games in her spare time because then it won't matter if they dont make money as she will have the millions from the pizza and chocolate.

If she gets a boyfriend then she said it has to be someone who is happy to come third because the pizza and chocolate inventing and game creating will be priotise and she might not have enough time "for all that boyfriend stuff"

20. Paps Shenanigan

Paps Shenanigan Active Member

Apr 10, 2011
    #40 Paps Shenanigan, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    I agree to having no iap and the reasoning behind that, but so often in free games when there is a nuisance of ads, it really disrupts the gameplay/experience. I like how you guys implement the "one more try with ad". But it is bordering on too much. In this case since I like the game so much, I don't think it would be out of line to have a pay to get rid of ads. I know you probably make more income with the ads (which I totally support you guys making money the best way possible), I'd rather support you directly and pay for the game. Even as minimal of a game that it is, I'm playing it as often as Super Hex and other paid games. Great job again. Consider a pay to get rid of ads though, to keep my excitement from being detoured.

Edit: just thought, even better... Have a free version of this game as is, then add a paid version without adds. That way you can keep this system going, but also have a paid version. Neither has to have the dreaded IAP tag. Eh? Eh?!?