Universal Radiation Island (By Atypical Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jan 29, 2015.

1. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    #81 EightRooks, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    I'll repeat my ipod Touch impressions since they're very similar specs, right? The display is in proper resolution, but many of the textures are very (I mean very) low, the detail levels pop in and out very noticeably, there's only a simple lighting model and much less environmental detail (a surprising amount of grass but much less than a current-gen device). But it does run. It's clearly struggling, with some minor stuttering and lag now and then (I noticed lighting a fire seemed to slow it down some) but it is still going at the proper speed, as far as I can tell, and it's still playable. At least in the starting area you can explore, harvest, craft, fight the first monsters etc. with no trouble at all. It's still pretty atmospheric, too, IMO - the colour palette helps (vivid tropical blue skies/green vegetation/golden sand, etc.) and the draw distance is pretty good even if the detail isn't too high. Only a couple of crashes, too, and it seems to autosave a lot so that's not too much of a problem. It's vaguely like running Far Cry on an old PC. I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to try it - it's clearly way behind the current-gen devices - but I still find it a lot of fun so far, and I think it's astonishing someone could get this much game into such an ancient device.

2. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    I've played for about a half an hour and so far the game is pretty neat. Controls aren't too bad but I'm looking forward to trying it out with my ctrli. What I can't get past is how much your character slides around! Seriously, every step you take it's like he's on ice. He can't even stsnd on steps without sliding down. It's ridiculous.

Also does anyone know if all 3 game modes unlock multiplayer when beaten?

3. waffer15

waffer15 Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    The movement in this game needs a lot of improvement. Like a previous poster said, you just skid or fly around it seems like. And it is very difficult to move I find. It's a very stiff movement system. And maybe an idea for combat. When I hit a wolf with a pick axe or whatever weapon, the thing should fall back or be stunned for a second because I die every time I see one because hitting them doesn't affect them visually so they just keep on butting me until I finally kill them but then I'm bleeding so then I die eventually anyway. So far I'm not impressed with the game but if you guys get the movement fixed then it will be a lot better

4. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Craft bandages and suture yourself up, dying will stop :)

5. Kraudi2k

Kraudi2k Well-Known Member

May 24, 2012
    Male
    #85 Kraudi2k, Jan 29, 2015
    I would also love if we can get some
    video settings like in pc games. this way we could decide if we like better graphics or wanted it to play more fluid with lower settings

If this gets endless mode and better controls/movement this could be a potential GOTY for sure.

6. shortbeachj

shortbeachj New Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Can you have multiple save files?

7. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Runs on ipad 4?

8. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Those graphics man wow.

9. taiga97

taiga97 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2014
    This is amazing. Get it. I expect this to become even more great with updates. There's a lot to do and things to find, I love using the glider(although it always ends up getting me killed), crafting is great but I don't know if you can craft buildings yet. Can't wait for future updates.

10. fili_1982

fili_1982 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Programmer
    Romania
    The problem will be fixed in the next version. For now, restart the game to get rid of the bug and you should be fine.

11. dotout

dotout Active Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Male
    Jack of all trades at Atypical Games
    Bucharest
    I am afraid the skidding is a bug. Now sure what made it surface right now but from our tests force closing the app and reopening fixes the issue most of the time. It's somehow related to the whole physics context and not the controls that much. Hopefully we'll nail it in a quick update.

About multiple save, there are 5 profile slots you can swap between, they are a bit hidden in the notebook. You need to open the notebook, tap the left side button which opens the left side of the notebook and then tap "Change active profile". This is also the place where you save/load to iCloud.

12. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    I wonder if this game will become successful,will it be getting expansions and stuff like this.I would gladly pay for an expansion with a new region/weapons/enemies/items and stuff like this.This looks great and I am definitely gonna buy it but will it work on iPad 4?It is surprising how dam cheap it is.

13. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #93 Rip73, Jan 29, 2015
    A very easy buy.
    I won't repeat what's already been said but I'll certainly reinforce that this is one hell of an amazing game that looks and plays extraordinarily on iPhone 6 plus and iPad Air 2.
    I always know these guys bring it but they certainly brought it in a big way this time.

@Dev Team, quick question. Excellent job by the way, be sure and pass that on to the team.
    Will there be updates to weapons?
    I only ask because I'd love me an automatic handgun (1911 preferably:)) and some form of sniper rifle.
    Maybe it's possible, maybe it's not but worth considering.
    And thanks for an excellent game totally out of left field at an amazing low price point.
    It is genuinely much appreciated.

14. shortbeachj

shortbeachj New Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Awesome, that's what I wanted to hear, going to buy this now!

15. zdkazz

zdkazz Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Can't even play the game it crashes right after I launch it...:(

16. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    This looks absolutely fabulous! Gonna have to make a trip to the store for an iTunes card for this.

17. waffer15

waffer15 Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I think why the walking seems so stiff is because you can only move in 8 directions. Walking feels so much better when you can walk in any direction.

Also, the graphics are amazing, love the grass. I think the bow and arrow is awesome and works great. One shot kill for wolves so I love that. The water looks incredible to. All we need is some movement tweaks and maybe even some combat tweaks

18. dotout

dotout Active Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Male
    Jack of all trades at Atypical Games
    Bucharest
    What device are you using?

So far best advice is to try a reboot and if there is no change, the usual drill: disable icloud, disable game center, even try airplane mode.

19. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    I appreciate that bandages staunch bleeding, but early on the constant dying does get a bit silly, IMO. :p Only just made a machete, so up to that point it's been WOLVES! Hack hack hack hack hack oh, hey, I won, but now I'm seconds away from bleeding to death, I'll just stand here and twiddle my thumbs until I - *dies* *resurrects* ...over and over again. It's no huge hassle on the regular difficulty, but kinda unintentional comedy all the same. Oh well. I just file it under the same videogame-y stuff like where the hell am I carrying twenty-four pineapples and so on. :D

20. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Great! Thanks! Restart worked.