Universal Radiation City (By Atypical Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Aug 23, 2017.

1. henrycupcake

henrycupcake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2015
    bought it on Apple TV
    I'm now having fun :eek:

2. nicoga3000

nicoga3000 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Structural Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    While I agree that iOS has become a very toxic platform, there are games that have done fine with little to no "free content" updates. However, it should be expected that a developer release free patches to fix broken shit. This game is an example of "bugs, glitches, lack of polish". They can go ahead and add paid expansions later if they want - I encourage that over free content as it helps improve the value of the platform.

A broken and buggy game deserves zero sympathy. Give a fully featured and working game, get a fan base, add new content (that you can charge for).

3. henrycupcake

Dec 26, 2015
    THere you go

Attached Files:

4. henrycupcake

Dec 26, 2015
    I killed a zombie on the roadside and it dropped A school bag

5. henrycupcake

Dec 26, 2015
    lol you are either blind or so full of crap
    My health bar is clearly going down and taking damage over time because I didn't have any food with me ( because you said so so I discard all the food since I hated the food / water stuff consumption requirement )

Attached Files:

6. henrycupcake

Dec 26, 2015
    Btw I always loved the radiation serie
    This game give me that atmosphere that creeps me out
    The dead city is like those haunted abandoned one in horror movies

7. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    Agree and that's how I read the developers comments, they're reading the comments and will fix bugs/balancing issues but free content additions are above and beyond the "premium" model where you pay once which I think is fair, I'm kind of surprised that a few people here so strongly reacted to that as I think it was just a language thing

To the dev I'd repeat what you said, certainly bug fixes are free but don't write off adding paid content for future expansions - I don't think anyone has issues with paid expansions/additions as long as they're fairly priced and don't adversely affect the game for people who have already paid for their premium app, for example adding a "pay to win" aspect to a multiplayer game

8. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    #68 Dragan, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    That premium games are dying sounds more like a self furfulling prophecy then anything else. I think that a game like Death road to Canada is the best example to prove you wrong. They add content, raise the price and I don't hear any protest. It all comes down on the originality and quality of the product. If bugs are squashed and glitches are ironed nobody in his right mind expects additional content for free.
    That al lot of premium games fail to make a descent turnover, come on, let's be honest about the incredible amount of games that are simply not enjoyable enough. Customers don't pay for developers hard labour and sleepless nights, they pay for the gratification they get from the game. If I eat a donut, knowing that the donutmaker didn't go on vacation for five years, works 16 hours a day and is in the middle of a divorce because of it but the donuts don't taste good, I'm not obliged to support his business, by no means. The same goes for every industry or creative profession, game making is no exception.

9. nicoga3000

nicoga3000 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Structural Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    That donut analogy is so weird...

But it's right, haha.

10. henrycupcake

Dec 26, 2015
    Do you know where to find oil canister to refill the car ? God this game is creepy ! The sound / the atmosphere are perfectly used
    and the zombies will attack from behind while you were busy searching in a room / house , I don't want to get out of my car lol !!!!

11. TitePsy

TitePsy New Member

Aug 26, 2017
    If you've played Radiation Island......

Bought Radiation City yesterday, playing it on an iPad mini2. It runs smoothy with no problems. There are a few differences from the initial Radiation Island that I find make it more difficult, at least so far cuz I haven't played it that much yet.
    The first thing I noticed was that in Radiation Island, an icon would pop up on your screen to warn/inform you of wildlife or potential threats in your vicinity. It would show a paw print for harmless wildlife, a clawed paw print for dangerous wildlife, and a skeleton hand for mutants/zombies. If you tapped on it it would also lock on to the creature and even if you couldn't see it yet, let you know which direction it's in. Radiation city doesn't seem to have this feature. It makes it more difficult cuz you don't know where the bad guys are around you. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have yet to see it anywhere in settings and I've pretty went through all available settings. When a zombie ran up and attacked me, I wasn't able to target it while holding a crowbar so killing it was a little annoying since they're basically running circles around you.
    Another thing is now you have to monitor your thirst as well as hunger. In Radiation Island you only had to make sure you don't starve to death. Now you can't starve or dehydrate.
    Getting branches or twigs in Radiation Island involved only going up to a tree and hitting it with your bare hands. Now you have to find and gather twigs as the only way to get them.
    Day and night cycles are much shorter.
    I hope I just haven't figured this one out yet, but for everything I tried I could not close a door behind me. Maybe I'm just a wimp but when there are weird zombie grunts and sounds outside, I like being able to close the doors I walk through. I pretty much spent my first night posted up in a corner facing the door just waiting for anything to wonder in casually like they do in Radiation Island. I would've been more productive during that time if I wasn't freaked out about something running in the door to kill me.
    And last is the time between starting a game and your first encounter with a zombie. They're pretty much there right from the start of the game and there's no time to get established or obtain a more efficient weapon. I tried to change the difficulty setting to exploration mode to just get accustomed with the game, but it seems like every setting(there's 3:adventure,exploration and survival)has zombies and dangerous wildlife. I remember in Radiation Island, the exploration mode allowed you to play the game without anything that attacks you....you just had the crafting and exploration, or sandbox mode if you will.
    Other than that, it seems to be just as good or better than Radiation Island, but I do hope they include some of these things in future updates cuz they make the game a little better in my opinion.

12. sweiss

sweiss Member

Jun 17, 2012
    I'm really loving this game much better than the radiation island. Less crafting is better. But this game sucks up battery like crazy and keeps your phone hit the whole time. Even while charging it sucks energy. Still a fun time.

13. Wolf Cookie

Wolf Cookie Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Gas locations

Does anyone know where to locate gas for the trucks? The trucks are plentiful and I found a gas can tonight, but not sure where to look for gas.

Thanks guys

14. henrycupcake

Dec 26, 2015
    That's why you should play it on Apple TV
    Snuggled in the couch and have fun on the big screen

15. henrycupcake

Dec 26, 2015
    #75 henrycupcake, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    I think he's full of shit I have been playing for hours and haven't crashed once

and I suspect many people on this thread talking crap about this game they don't even own the game lol

I'm telling you this game is creepy as hell, see that zombie standing on the road in the middle of nowhere ?

Radiation City is a real mixed bag from a technical standpoint though. Its visuals veer wildly between beautifully affecting and calamitously ugly. In general, it does mid-distance landscapes well, and people will think that the indoor environments and character models awfully ( however I loved this kind of graphical style it brings me back the nostalgia of Everquest ,
    The ambient soundtrack, however, is pretty much perfect.

Attached Files:

16. henrycupcake

Dec 26, 2015
    It's people so full of crap like you are killing the premium paid games
    What buggy unbalanced crash fest ? Will you just shut it ?
    I have been playing for 6 hours and everything was fine
    The Apple TV version clearly need some optimisation ( like the speed of scrolling the map )
    but nothing like you have just said
    god people like you are disgusting

17. henrycupcake

Dec 26, 2015
    Lol I laughed
    would've been more productive during that time if I wasn't freaked out about something running in the door to kill me.

18. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    #78 Chq, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    What could be the main reason to buy this game instead of all other games, when i want to buy only one single game?

19. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    Great game! I like style and how opened the open world is. You see the door - you go through it. You see 9floors apartments- you can check every flat.
    The bad thing is - the story.
    I didn't understand the ending
    i activated the final tower and what? It got activated. And that's all. Where are the reporters? What happened to the main character and his loved one? Have they escaped?

20. henrycupcake

Dec 26, 2015
    Wow you are fast !
    I played for 7 hours and I m still on that mission to take assault rifle from police station because this game just freak me out , all those crazy creepy zombies like to hit you on your back at night !