Universal Radiation City (By Atypical Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Admiral Bison

Admiral Bison Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2016
    very interesting!
    Seems like this game came out of no where or I haven't paying enough attention on Touch Arcade.

MFI as well you say?

I'll give it a crack.
    Purchasing in a few minutes and give my impressions later on tonight.

2. Admiral Bison

Apr 26, 2016
    Actually a lot of those games I would probably avoid upgrading to iOS.
    I can't get dead space to work anymore on my iPad, but for fear of classic games I also have like XCOM (and collection of MFI games) not working i back up my iOS devices once a month and may get a new iPad next year instead and keep my current iPad as a backup.

3. AeroSmash

AeroSmash Well-Known Member

May 11, 2015
    AMAZING but they need to adjust 2 things

Really amazing games but with 2 "little" problems. (Literally Unplayable at least for me)
    1.- The beautiful icon that you see in the AppStore is replaced by an ugly green icon once is installed. They need to change it to the Appstore icon.
    2.- Once the game is installed, the app name is "Radiation CIty" UNPLAYABLE lol

No jokes, I need this 2 things

4. boydstr

boydstr Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Male
    Gamer
    Netherlands
    When it plays like a FPS than it is a sure buy for me the previous Radiation game was to much on the crafting side but they made some really impressive graphics games so I hope this have a. top graphics b. great gameplay but it is a little suspicious that there is no gameplay on YouTube to be found.

5. boydstr

boydstr Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Male
    Gamer
    Netherlands
    Yes please let us know how it plays I am curious if this game can be played with a controller because I have so many games in my library and a lot of them are impulse buys and play them for half an hour and never touched them again.

6. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    #26 Reaganomics, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Here's my quick opinion. I don't have a controller, so I'm using touch screen controls. At first, it felt floaty, but after getting used to it, it feels a little clumsy here and there, but much better overall. You can switch between 1st and 3rd person which is nice. The production quality feels professional, and it seems like there's a lot of content to explore. The story feels strong so far. My only gripe at the moment is the environment. Even though It looks great, it needs to feel more realistic. If I'm carrying a melee weapon, and I hit the wall or a car, it shouldn't be silent. I want to hear the impact of my weapon. Of course you can hear a tree being hit because it's part of the crafting element I guess. For me, when I'm able to interact with objects, it just feels more realistic like Fallout or something. Again, production value is high, so I naturally want full immersion and stuff. Maybe I'm being too critical. I can't speak too much about the gameplay because I'm just starting out. But so far, it feels fairly solid. I'm doing mainly tutorial stuff, and I'm enjoying it.

7. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
  8. Paul99

Paul99 Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Awesome FPS

9. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Is this story driven? Or crafting game?

10. dasker4444

dasker4444 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2016
    To me it happens the same, one after that regrets, I hope it is a shooter why as it is as the island happened. I am not to buy more games that Almenos for me are unplayable or I do not like their controls or game mechanics

11. Peter321

Peter321 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Male
    I liked Radiation Island, but was disappointed that new content was never added, even though it was promised at launch - maybe the game did not do as well as they had hoped? Seemed a bit like abandonware to me, which is why i'm hesitant about this one.

Also i'm on iOS 11 beta 7, so not sure if it will run at all.

12. dasker4444

dasker4444 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2016
    #32 dasker4444, Aug 24, 2017
    I confess that I've been following your channel for a long time, but being honest, I almost never paid any attention to what was going on because I always connected you with android games.

When watching the video I can conclude that the developers have taken time and have tried to do well, but I feel that some details should be polished, for example: when I killed the zombie the cinematic was horrible, to the leaves of the tree among other things Say goodbye, at this point in 2017 it is not possible for the zombie to kill you and not see you eating or so it seems. It was interesting when you drove the car and seems to have some exploration, although in the part of the beginning you see more rural area, than the City as such.

My personal conclusion is that I still seem the mechanics very similar to their previous game, it is uncomfortable and long to kill even if it is a zombie and for any dying mistake. The other to emphasize is that I still think of the controls as such and if it fits well to a mfi controller, I still think that this game would be better to be one independent of the previous one, with better mechanics of game, without so many complications, Dying light type And if I had much better cooperative. For now I will leave it on my wish list to see how it improves with the updates and as soon as I get to risk. What is more interesting is the story and where it is set, which to me seemed a success on his part.
    Why I run the risk of playing it 10 minutes and do not touch it anymore. Good night

13. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    #33 redribbon, Aug 24, 2017
    story yes, but i dont find it necessary since its only you are on a plane and crashed and you have to find your friend. crafting, yes, just like radiation island. but to be honest i like RI more than this one. overall this game feels a little bit unfinished to me and it crashed a lot on my iPhone 7 plus. there already 7 times crashed since my last play.

thanks dasker4444 and yes i agreed with you on this game being not polished enough. killing the zombies should not be that hard, even with a shotgun i have to shot them(zombies with the radiation suit or similar) like more than 5times, i dunno maybe more and bullets are really really hard to find. i keep getting food on every loot which i know is not necessary so far. i dont think they got the hunger and dehydration mechanism implemented in this game since the alert icon keep showing up on screen but thats all nothing happened to my health as far as i know. this also applied to the weather which actually affect nothing to me(only the thermometer sign keeps showing up). controls on mfi is definitely not the best but still playable. camera angle still need a lot of works, sometimes it makes me a little bit dizzy.

14. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Thank you
    I will pass then

15. Admiral Bison

Apr 26, 2016
    Just a quick impression of an hours play.

MFI controllers work, (using a Gamevice)
    Y - button is used to open your inventory
    Start button - menu, profile, character stats - stamina, hunger, strength, speed, stealth, weapons proficiency etc. I am level 4 so far and not sure how much impact those stats will have but have sunk all my points in strength and speed.
    Left trigger toggles run or walk
    Left bumper jump
    Right bumper to attack
    A - select
    B - back
    D pad- to navigate menu, inventory and quick inventory on the bottom of the screen. Still trying to get use to combing items like a can opener to a can of food, but I eventually had to touch the screen for that.

Just want to focus on controls (MFI), graphics and initial gameplay as I cannot gauge the level of content and do not want to spoil, but it reminds me a little of 'State of Decay' initially.

Can adjust look sensitivity it seems, invert Y axis but cannot configure buttons as some controls like jump, selection would be better of on A/X normally, but this could be because of the touch control nature of mobile games.
    Melee (don't have a gun yet) is responsive (again maybe effected by stats)
    walking/running forward is good, BUT strafing or moving backwards is slow/sluggish in comparison (again unsure because of the nature of touch controls)
    See potential for extensive looting and crafting, though initial impressions inventory bag is too small for my liking and already was full and I could not pick up,certain items literally 10 minutes into the game.
    D pad down - crouch
    D pad up - change view 1st/3rd both views are good (appreciate the details in 1st carrying an item)
    D pad left/right navigate the quick inventory menu in the bottom of your screen and A highlight and select

Graphics/sound
    There is an option in the menu to adjust graphics levels (mine is set to maximum/very high), depth of field, FXAA, soft shadows, resolution pixel scale, ssr.
    Adjust sound and ambient level

:eek:

A lot of polish, detail and scope went into this.
    Lush texture close up on the character, objects, grass, ground
    Draw distance is very, very good, where I could see no pop ins, hills in the horizon (darkened shades), great weather effects and nigh/day transistion all realtime.
    inside cabins, retained fine detail just as much as outdoor environments
    Lighting effects from a storm, flashlight, and campfire are impressive for a mobile.

Sound:
    Good thunder effects, breathing, groaning
    music is appropriate, subtle and used sensibly

Gameplay:
    Seems barren (but considering the theme makes sense), but it looks like there is a bit of interaction with picking loot, repairing items in the field with the right tools and parts later on, way/save points, journals and other characters later in the game.

I will need to play a few more hours, and give more in depth detail on crafting, skills, game enemies, npc (if there are) etc with out spoiling story.

16. cnecula

cnecula Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Amazing feedback Admiral !

17. Devok

Devok Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Graphically speaking looks top notch but the animation looks like a let down, nothing seems to move smoothly or natural, things seems to be out of place or just floating in mid air.

18. Bumpygames

Bumpygames Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2016
    croatia
    #38 Bumpygames, Aug 24, 2017
    Well

its the same as Radiation Island...
    even the price and game size is the same.
    Average game
    on some reason on iphone 6S the device is extremely hot while playing this one... so it must requires lots of resources from device to run it.

Who liked Radiation island would love this one as well.

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Radiation Island was decent, until i started getting into crafting, and i just lost all interest. I guess crafting games just arent my forte. Monster Hunter has crafting, but in a very simplified sense that someone else crafts for you while your job is to find materials.

20. TheGerman

TheGerman New Member

Aug 24, 2017
    I like

Played for about two hours and I like. Good looking but some glitches. Hope they fix them as for Island.
    GG guys.