Universal Race for the Galaxy (by Temple Gate Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by skoptic, May 3, 2017.

1. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Cool

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    This game, especially if just playing the original core set, is totally San Juan in space. I think it really becomes its own thing once you get to the expansions.

3. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    I've found an 'idiosyncrasy'.... I have a iPhone and iPad, and the game installed on each. I have the same online handle on each but different friend codes, so sadly no picking up a game on a separate device, and also asking people to add 2 friends to be able to play across devices :( Anyone else see the same? Anything I'm doing wrong?

4. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    interesting, i thought it was just more cards and some optional mechanics. but tell me, does the in-game manual and/or tutorial update/expand with each expansion? doesn't the first expansion offer a solo mode and the second some conquest feature? are the help systems updated to reflect this new stuff? thanks.

5. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Since the game uses the scary-ass good Keldon AI, they don't currently bother with The Gathering Storm's Solo Mode. When looking up in-game help there are 3 tabs, 1 for core game and the 2 expansions. They cover the core rules in a fair amount of depth, but the other 2 tabs are really just quick reference sheets on the new mechanics introduced in each expansion. While it would have been nice if they provided even online links to full rules of game and expansion, they cover the basics well enough.

6. #46 freelunch, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Re: "San Juan in space"

To be fair, Race For The Galaxy was originally developed as a card-game version of Puerto Rico, and elements of that design were subsequently used in San Juan, while Tom Lehmann further developed his design into RFTG.

Puerto Rico is the original, but San Juan was derived from RFTG and not vice-versa.

7. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Oh, okay, I knew they were somehow connected, but admit I easily could have gotten the order they appeared wrong.

8. Trhyne

Trhyne New Member

May 27, 2017
    #48 Trhyne, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Bad Implementation

In attempting to stay true to the random "order" of the discard pile, they made this game virtually unplayable beyond single player or possibly 2 people.

Instead of being able to do each turn as an asynchronous collection of actions, every sub action is synchronous. Discarding, drawing, etc, must be done in order and you have to wait for every player to go. This causes a few hour long game to move to days to weeks. This is basically an implementation of a "play by mail" game, despite the advantages offered by mobile technology.

For $15, I'd expect an intelligently designed app that takes advantage of the opportunities of the medium. Won't likely buy anything from this team again. They don't understand the implications of design choices.

9. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    This is an accurate port of the real life card game, so not designed from the get go to be an efficient "online experience". Maybe in the future they can make some alternative "streamlined for online play" mode where they change a few rules of the normally face to face card game, but I think the initial goal was to capture as accurately as possible the real game's flow of play.

10. scott997

scott997 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Hmmm. I believe the real game is asynchronous with each sub-action. So the app works that way. Seeing others' sub-actions are important for strategic purposes. Otherwise you are missing out on information that can help you. If they made the app as you suggest this would truly be a solitaire game.

Actually, the game does a good job of letting you take your sub-actions up to the point where another player must make a choice. For example, if your opponent cannot place a planet card, the app does not wait for them to determine that they cannot place a planet before allowing you to do so and to do the next sub-action.

I think this is implemented very well.

11. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Game just updated.

Most important change is the ability to link up different devices so one profile sharable with many other devices. I find when you load online games on one device, the other linked ones are disconnected auto. Nice!

I find the game list text on my iPad Mini 2 is now much bigger. This is good.

12. skoptic

Apr 3, 2015
    Very happy for linked devices! :)

13. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    I'm loving this game! Very addictive. I bought both expansions as soon as I completed the tutorial.

14. skoptic

Apr 3, 2015
    Oh! App icon notifications work too! I'm back in love :)

15. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Surprised there isn't more traffic here.
    I'm late to the party but this is awesome.
    Possibly the best card game with async in years.
    App is super slick and the game is stellar.

16. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Forgot to add my friend code, always up for a game.

Code: W3YZBJ22

17. baconcow

baconcow Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Any word on when The Brink of War expansion is coming out?

18. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Am I doing something wrong or is the online multiplayer somewhat inactive?

Love the physical game, and this app is amazing!

19. Skylez

Skylez Active Member

May 15, 2015
    so this game has multilingual on settings to change the lenguage? thanks

20. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Game is in English or German at the moment (you can select language from settings).