Universal Race for the Galaxy (by Temple Gate Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by skoptic, May 3, 2017.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Against one to three AI only. No campaigns. And no pass-and-play either

2. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

Thanks. Bought it anyway - I'm a sucker for board games on iOS :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Hinted by a Twitter post, this video does a better job teaching how to play than the in-app tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeUw0v8Y-gQ

BTW, there are 2 expansions available via in-app purchase. I am told both add new elements to the gameplay.

4. DTK

DTK Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Marketing
    Berlin Germany
    #24 DTK, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Really!? No Campaigns, No Pass'n'Play, No Online Multiplayer, Only 2-4 Player for Network. Hmm...
    This does not sound like a game, which is worth the high price (Price in Germany: 7,99€ + 2 x 4,49€ for IAP)
    There are better alternatives in appstore.

5. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Tru the value is pretty high for thi game, but let us dissect:
    - Digital base+2exp= 19 euros+-, physical copy of base+2exp = 75 euros (depending where you buy)
    - No pass and play - If you really pass and play this game, it tends to get sooooo long and complicated that I don't think it will be much fun (granted vs the physical copy, you could play with your 2 mates), but even so, it would be doable, since there is secret information, there could be a transition screen between players turns. The thing here is that every player's turn is played simultaneously, which it would translate a bit strangely into the app, but then again, I find this is something more of a solo multiplayer (in physical), because I just cannot be bothered to look at what everyone is doing (only when the time comes to decide which phase to take, then I try to mind read a bit)
    - No campaign... Well this is a eurogame, which already means it is a bit dry, but there isn't really much point in making a campaign, because all the games are "the same" except for the randomness of the cards. Then again, the dev could make up "scenarios". Please see below as to the solo mode.
    - No multyplayer?!? It has online multiplayer, don't understand what you mean.
    - "only" 2-4 player network... again, don't understand. you have 2-4 player solo game if you are offline you play against the AI), and then you have online multiplayer for 2-4 players (which I have not delved deep, but read it was asynch)

One thing about solo AI, I really think they should implemet the solo rules from the Gathering Storm expansion. Those rule involve a bit of randomness (because the dice decide what the AI does), but they work a bit like a "scenario" mode, where, depending on the home planet, certain AI choices change, along with the bonuses.
    Will ask the dev if this is in the works.

Again, Race for the Galaxy, be it on card or digital mode, is not a game for everyone. Some people love it to death (me included) and some hate it. The reasons for hating it are usually: complexity of symbols (Which I find a bit moot, because I don't think it is complex after you played 3 times), being too euro-ey (sure it is space, but it is getting VPs in the end), being too random (for the euro-strategist that does not even want cards because they are random... go figure), being "hard" (because a guy who knows the game very well will beat you into a pulp because of the combos one can make if one knows the cards well).
    Reasons for liking it: despite being Euro (arid...) you feel like you are building your "empire", the way cards combo off each other is amazing, it has a deep strategy feel, it is fast to play (just don't play it with people with AP who tend to analyse every tableau to death, card count etc, because the game will get boring)

I bought it and I am selling my physical copy, since I usually play it solo anyway (this way I can multiplayer it lol) and I say the game is very expensive (I am always ranting around the forums saying this or that is too expensive), but for me it is worth it since I play it a lot, and don't play it more because of the time.

6. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Okay clarify a few things:

Local: only against 1-3 AI player, no pass-n-play which is normal since the mechanism requires all players showing their selected cards simultaneously. at certain circumstances. NBD to me

AI, as I am told, is very tough at the highest level, which translates into "Big Fun" in my book.

Network: 2-4 human players online, aysnc supported I am told

I think it is a 3X games in disguise (a la Eclipse)

If you want a space combat-oriented card game, I suggest you try Star Realms instead.

7. ttcool

ttcool Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Looking at trees and missing the forrest!

Instead of just focusing on the functionality of a board game: 1 - 4 players, campaign, online multi play...etc. which are all important, but that's missing out on how fun this card game is with multiple strategy to win...

2 Players game have special rule where each player select 2 actions instead of 1 action in 3+ users in the game... It's super fun when you can figure out combos from certain card that will give you extra victory points and the race is off to get the most before the chips are gone. Once you get the hang of the mechanics, it plays fairly quick and pretty addictive to play one more game!

I loved Star Realms but this game is better in my opinion and I'll probably buy both the expansion pack soon...

8. Kamakazie

Kamakazie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    This is an excellent adaptation of an excellent board game. I highly recommend getting the expansions along with the base game as they help to balance certain strategies and really add a lot to the overall experience.

9. athros

athros Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    DevOps
    Colorado
    And an update for Multiplayer functionality already.

Well done!

10. Hard_Squirrel

Hard_Squirrel Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Can anyone confirm if this is landscape only or is there a portrait view?

Many thanks

11. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    Landscape

12. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    I don't mind the absence of a campaign but it would be very nice to have some sort of statistics screen with win/ loss information against the different a.i.'s.

13. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    The app description for single-player looks intimidating. Is this level approachable for someone who's never played it?

14. patbenj19

patbenj19 New Member

May 5, 2017
    For new players, there's a 3-stage tutorial which will ease you into the basics.

For AI games, there are 3 levels of difficulty. Easy should be beatable even for a novice player. Once you've trounced them you can move onto medium, which should provide a challenge while you're still learning the best strategies. The hard difficulty should present a challenge to even the most experienced players.

15. ColeDaddy

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    thank you

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);.entry{background-color:white!important}

16. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    I have never played this one before too. Although i have issues with the tutorials not being Playdek, the game is great. It is easier to pick up than TM frankly.

I have started another thread for oosting friend codes for MP.

See you!

17. loveschack

loveschack Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Copenhagen
    I can recommend playing the tutorials and then watching Rahdo's runthrough: https://youtu.be/Wd6jyrdGU_A

It made everything click for me. Have fun and see you in space!

18. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    This is the first time playing this game and it's amazing. The closest game to Race For The Galaxy I've played is San Juan which is one of my favorites although the digital version never did get the expansion that the physical game has. Race For The Galaxy is well worth the coin for the base game and expansions. I hope the developers bring all the expansions over to the digital realm eventually.

I just got done watching Rahdo's final thoughts on Race and he was very impressed with the game. I certainly will have to check out the walk through.

Another great how to play is ModernTableGamer's step by step tutorial at https://youtu.be/um0jIYodqRI . Both Rahdo and ModernTableGamer are great for first time players or people who may be interested in Race but want more information first.

19. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land
    One thing bugging me with multiplayer is players forfieting. The whole game is cancelled and you have to start another game. It would be great if the player leaving was replaced with AI or there was some other option.

20. ColeDaddy

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    THIS may convince me to drop some shekels down for this puppy because SJ is one of my favorite games...