Universal R-Type II (by DotEmu)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 12, 2014.

1. JahkanTaka

JahkanTaka Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    #21 JahkanTaka, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    This is one of those games that I absolutely love even though I absolutely suck at it! I think my love for it is mostly due to nostalgia really, Super R-Type was maybe the 4th or 5th game I got for the Super Nintendo.

Currently #2 on the leaderboards, that sure as hell won't last long.

Edit: Forgot to mention, this runs a bit choppy on a 4th gen touch.

2. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Playing this game reminded me how much better the music was in super r-type for the snes. Better music than any other r-type.

Any chances super r-type could ever be ported?

3. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Great stuff, DotEmu does it again. This one is new to me, I had only played the original R-Type back in the day (and more recently on iOS) so I am glad to see this on iOS and get the chance to play it.

4. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Prepping for trip, no time to play it with iCade.

Try touch control, good enough but this is much harder than R-Type. Bam, I am dead.

BTW, any chance to "slow down" the original R-Type? It is much faster than the EA version!

5. duh_d_dum

duh_d_dum Active Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Idk why but I have a hard time playing horizontal shooters. It feels weird moving the ship with my left hand. So weird that I have to turn my phone vertical and play with my right hand lol. I'm enjoying the game though = ).

6. Rumblecat

Rumblecat Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Thailand
    Just bought this. It's terrible. For some reason your ship can't die. Even tried driving through the scenery- same results. Deleted, re-installed, tried again... same thing.

Totally pointless. Sure, you can finish the game on one life if you really want now, because it's impossible to lose a life.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Strange. For any relative touch games I always control games on the left and shoot with the right. Most shoot em ups and platformers seem to be this way

8. CecilMcW00t

CecilMcW00t Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    There's an update out now which fixes that invincible bug. That was so weird. I knew something was wrong with the last version. I kept thinking I had toggled a cheat or something by accident but I couldn't find anything in the options.

9. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    What's stopping you from using your right hand normally? Usually there's an option for swapping any buttons to the other side.
    Usually.

10. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
  11. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    R-Type I & II are updated to iOS 11 64bit compatibility! DotEmu have come through and saved these true arcade classics (and excellent ports) from 32bit oblivion! If you haven't yet played these ports, they are near perfect ports of the original arcade versions and are hard to beat in the best tradition of classic shmups # With their survival assured (at least for another generation of iOS) I can't recommend these highly enough #