Universal R.TYPE - (by DotEmu)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 17, 2013.

1. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Ok.

So why did apple decide to stop games installing on the iPad 1?

2. Flynn Taggart

Flynn Taggart Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Same reason they make all their products out of extremely shatterable glass - to make you buy a new one.

3. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    R-Type Final or Delta, hopefully. I want to play the big boys.

4. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Haha, WORD. Good game!

5. Mr-Fox

Mr-Fox Active Member

Feb 12, 2012
    I didn't know DotEmu was porting it :eek: now it became an instanbuy :cool:

6. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    DotEmu. Hope you read this.

Is there anything you can do about the scoring recorded in GameCenter. Too many scoreboards are basically useless because of unrealistic scores getting on there, don't let R-Type be another wasted scoreboard.

Top of the list at the moment has a score of over 9 quintillion.

Kind of ruins the challenge.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^ I dont think DotEmu can do something about hackers like that, especially in GC where they dont have much control over.

Other than that, DotEmu did a fantastic job with this port. I didnt have the first version, but this one is damn good.

For side scrolling shmups i prefer a higher sensitivity relative touch control option, but the 1:1 RT controls here works flawlessly.

8. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

This one runs too fast on iPad 4. If you turn video filtering off it runs at a speed that is closer to the original. This does not seem to happen on my 4g Touch. I can't say how it performs on other devices as I don't own any others that will run this.

Note - R-Type running fast is not "extra challenge", it's like listening to a favourite album playing too fast. Amusing at first, then just plain wrong.

9. James Cameron

James Cameron Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Whoever is playing the game in this clip doesn't know how to execute a charge shot

10. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

If you watch at 0:48 for a couple of seconds, they do use charge shot against that first larger enemy. I'd be more inclined to say they don't appear to be too concerned about using charge shot than they don't know how to.

I'm still campaigning for the local (device) high score to be permanently recorded, or even recorded at all.

11. scrotally

scrotally Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Never played this game but it reminds me of the nes game section-z. I loved that game. In that one you could shoot forwards and backwards!

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Really ? Wow. R-Type is an all time classic, first was in the arcades in the 80's and since then its been converted to practically every platform since. Its an all time classic.

13. Had the original rtype, but got this one on the sale, the ipad graphics are way cool now. So much better than the first one which was iphone only.

14. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    How us the difficulty? The original arcade version was known for brutal difficulty. I'm not very good at games like this so would be less interested if I'm not likely to get past the first few levels. I'm not asking for a walk in the park, but...

15. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Very difficult. Same difficulty as the arcade game as far as I can tell in terms of enemies and bullets.

However, there's two saving graces. One, the touchscreen controls allow you to move much faster than you ever could with a joystick, which makes the game easier. Two, the default mode is with unlimited lives, so you can basically just die as much as you want. Each level will have a halfway check point so if you die you'll start from there. Eventually, even if you're not very good at this game (which I am not) you should be able to brute force your way through the whole game using unlimited lives. And the coolest part is that once you beat a level it's unlocked permanently so you don't have to play through the whole game from the beginning again just to get to a certain level.

Anyway, highly recommended. It's an excellent port and on sale for a buck.

16. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Damn... saw an update for this just now, and was hoping that it would include controller support like R-Type 2.

Is there any chance that it will be added in the future?

17. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #77 awp69, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    Interesting. I never got this "newer" version but I used to be able to access the old EA one through my purchase history. Now, it's no longer there.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's there. Just no dash between R and Type.

18. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Hmm... strange, yeah, I don't see the update now either. I did get it... and I still had the AppStore on the RType page, here's a screen (just to show I'm not crazy...) =oP

Attached Files:

19. Samurai

Samurai Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2011
  20. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Unfortunately not in the uk - it's £1.49 here... Does this mean a sale is on the way?