Universal R.TYPE - (by DotEmu)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    The checkpoint system is fine; it allows one to practice difficult sections without replaying from the beginning. My problem is, that after a very short time they are all difficult sections. It would be nice if there was simply an easy mode with its own leaderboard, for those of us who'll never see 80% of this game as it is.

2. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    No thanks booooring!!

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Oh, really now?

4. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    I had no idea this was coming until an hour after I'd played the EA published version & gave my Dad a go for the good old days. He loved it.

Even though this seems basically the same with a few extras thrown in, I'm in. Love what DotEmu do & if I had my way, those guys would have unlimited resources & be porting all my faves from back in the day with modernisation all the way through.

PS. Purchased.

5. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #45 Bytebrain, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
    There's an option to play with unlimited lives, and I believe you can choose any level to play when you've unlocked it by beating the previous level.

I've never completed this game before either, but with these options and the great addition of playing with a smaller "game window" to allow controlling with relative touch without obscuring the action I think I might stand a chance now. :)

Edit:
    Oh wow, reading the beginning of this thread I realized iCade support is included.
    Absolutely awesome!

I'm glad I bought this game again. :)

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    DotEmu, this totally isn't the place for this (heck, I even contemplated PM'ing you >_>), but I would give an arm and a leg...how much begging do I need to do in order to convince you to contact Tecmo, and come to some kind of agreement to port over the Amiga version of Silkworm? My dad absolutely loved that game, and I have the fondest memories of he and I sitting on the carpeted floor in the corner of our guest room playing it. Hell, I don't even remember him playing anything else other than Pong. :p Dudes, please, please, plea....you get the idea. :p

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Really ? So one of the most famous horizontal shooters of all time, which for the last 25 years has been ported to practically every platform is 'boring' ?

I mean in a way its your view, but theres some games i like (My little pony stuff) but i dont bother going in those threads saying 'booooring'.

Cant believe you think its boring, wow

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thats so spooky. I was exactly the same, playing Silkworm on my old Amiga and that game was one of the few my dad played (and was good at). Great times.

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    :) Awesomeness. Yeah, it's funny...to this day, every time I bring up any old game, the first thing my old man says is "That helicopter game?" That's legitimately what I used to know it as up until a couple of years ago. :p

Sorry for the off-topic discussion. Our regularly broadcasted video game discussion will resume immediately.

10. Flynn Taggart

Flynn Taggart Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I'm about to download this right now. But I just wanted to say, if you guys ever ported Phalanx from the snes I would poop myself.

11. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Space Megaforce please. :)

12. Larni

Larni Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    That would be very cool.

13. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    How well does this run on ipod 4?

14. lokiman

lokiman Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Vampire
    Principality of Zeon
    Wow, what a nice surprise! Last time I played this was back then on my ZX Spectrum+ :D

This game is legendary! :D

15. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

Please, DotEmu, please (and I asked this the first time R-Type was on iOS) ... please keep a record of the best score LOCALLY on the device, and update the on-screen high score so that I always know MY best score to beat.

It resets back to the factory high score - 174500 - between every game, even if you recently beat that score.

I'm not whining (ok, a bit) but come one, this has got to be so easy to implement.

Thanks, in advance, because I KNOW you will do this for me. Just for me. Nobody else wants this because it's such a bizarre request, obviously.

16. Flynn Taggart

Flynn Taggart Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Actually i want that too. All leaderboards should be handled like geometry wars 2.

17. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Statement: have I gone rusty or is this version has increased the difficulty? I never get past the 1st level yesterday. OTOH, the first 3 levels of EA version was cakewalk...

18. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Perfectly just like raiden does. I even force installed the ipa file onto an ipad 1 and.... it works fine. Breaks syncing with iTunes though. So apple have stopped any games installing on ipad 1 now by the looks of it

19. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013

Thanks. i shall get it.

What does this mean? Does that mean game center enter does not work?

Does that mean no games will install on ipod 4 in the future?

20. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    No no, don't worry about that, just a side effect of an experiment, it's to do with 1st gen iPads, nothing to do with iPod touch 4