Universal R.TYPE - (by DotEmu)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 17, 2013.

1. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Oh Goody!!! Blast from my past! Dig it! ICade support is gonna be big around here too!

2. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Well..from the quick peek of the video makes it look like it has the same modes as the EA version (which is still by DotEmu). Hope any bugs from that version has been fixed (movement controls sometimes stopped working time time to time and the game crashes sometimes after the boss dies but before reaching the end of level screen from what I experienced).

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yes, there are relative touch controls, and like most DotEmu ports - there are settings for graphics and scanlines - as well as adjustable controls.

If you owned the previous version of R-Type that was pulled from the AppStore a while ago, this is pretty much the same thing with just a little more polish, bringing it up to the standard of DotEmu's current titles. =o)

4. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Query: should I backup the EA copy before purchase?

5. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Crap - not sure - I downloaded it straight to my device. But I would, just in case.

6. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Statement: Renamed and backuped. I happen to have the original installed on my iPad, just to test if it would be overwritten...less than 11 to go...

7. geremy

geremy Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    hmmm. Not sure if I should get this. I have the original dotemu port. It doesn't have the different graphic options, but other than that it looks the same. Sure, it isn't universal but I can't think why that would matter based on the pixelated graphics anyhow.

It says that display is optimized for iphone 5, is this true of the actual playscreen or just the menus? Have the actual graphic assets been updated for retina or just a different filter type? These things might cause me to update, otherwise I see no need.

8. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #28 syntheticvoid, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
    Here's some screens taken on my iPhone 5... You can choose between Fullscreen or Boxed, and Video Filtering On or Off - I did not take a screenshot with scanlines, but I will if you'd like.

There's also Relative Touch controls and Joystick controls - both have the option to move the buttons around, and the Joystick Control Scheme has the option to move the joystick wherever you please. You can also set autofire to on or off...

While I do love that this has been updated for the widescreen, if you're use to playing in boxed mode on your 5th gen device, it might not be too much of a difference - but being able to set the buttons into the area that was once just unresponsive black bars is AWFULLY nice - same with being able to drag your finger all the way to the left side of the screen without the game becoming unresponsive once you hit the dead area.

Attached Files:

9. geremy

geremy Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Thanks for feedback. Still on the fence. I've never actually played on my ipad. I'll have to try with the old version and see if it's ok or not.

10. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Thanks for your answers, tops2 and void.

And from the frontpage article we know that unlimited mode is included as well.
    Bought.

11. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Good choise. Instabuy.

12. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

I'll proudly step up and claim that I was one of those users who provided feedback, by posting on the official forum for R-Type iOS and also trying to start a campaign to get Universal added before the original version was pulled.

This is truly a great day, for me at least. Well, ok, tomorrow - UK app store etc.

13. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Thanks for effort :)

14. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Thanks!

Yeah, maybe this version will inspire me to finally beat the game. ;-)
    I found the old version easier on the ipad than the ipod touch..but just barely easier. I still die like there's no tomorrow. =P

15. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Report: should be out in worldwide now...downloaded...do not overwrite the old version...will try to play it on iCade during lunch and will try to make a comparison if possible. Stay tuned...

16. Onikage725

Onikage725 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Being able to set controls in the extra screen space is exceptional. Fingers obscuring the action is my biggest problem. Loving it.

17. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    #37 somedumbgamer, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
    Disregard this post

18. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    it looks like dying makes you start a bit back, so the unlimited mode doesn't help all that much with bosses. i.e. a boss death will make you do the boss fight again from the beginning. i.e.2 i will never finish this and it will just frustrate me.

too bad, was hoping to buy this and actually finish it.

19. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    R-Type has always been tough as nails. That's part of the awesomesauce.

Another killer release from DotEmu...can't wait to see what's next.

20. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Report: The iCade works like a charm. I am able to compare this with the old one:

New version with video filtering off:
    [​IMG]

Original in 2x mode:
    [​IMG]