R.I.P. Game Center Bug? (Update to iOS 9.3.2, folks!)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Cccee, Dec 3, 2015.

1. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    So I went in to the Apple Store and got a new iPhone as customer support suggested. They said use the new iPhone and don't restore from an old backup, start fresh.

So for the 14th time I've started again. But this time on a new phone.

GameCenter is working perfectly at the moment. Loads fast. Not going into previous purchased section in the updates section just in case it makes it stuff up.

So I'll keep you updated on the situation. A new iPhone started fresh might be the only answer to the problem we just just to wait and see.

2. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    I'm really glad the new iPhone is working for you, and I hope it keeps on doing that!!

But is Apple really going to give new phones to everyone having the Game Center Bug? I think not. That would be some can of worms!

Also, I resent the fact that I spent hundreds of dollars on a phone....not to mention iPads....and then have to treat it with suck kid gloves!

Restoring as a new device every couple of weeks, losing what I've spent time and money on, and not being able to use apps I also spent time and money on is NOT an acceptable solution.

I don't know what the solution will be....I guess I keep hoping one of these days an iOS update will fix things.

In the meantime I'm not a happy Apple customer.

3. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    #163 ramon31, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    Don't get me wrong I'm not a happy Apple customer either, there customer service on this situation is terrible. The only reason they gave me a new phone is to test it and report back to them on the problem, if it reoccurs or not. They still have no idea about the bug and how to fix it. The problem is going to persist for quite a time yet.

Also I don't really expect gamecenter to work in a few days. It hasn't before the last 13 times I've restored. I can only hope.

4. Zamoofaboo

Zamoofaboo Active Member

Dec 11, 2015
    This is why you never update to the latest iOS under any circumstance. I always wait at least a few months before doing so. There is absolutely no benefit in upgrading, you'll only make some old apps unusable because they haven't updated for iOS9.

5. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    I bought a new phone and iOS 9 came pre installed, didn't have much choice.

6. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Can anyone confirm that this is affecting Implosion? I have it, but have never been able to play it. The game just hangs forever(?) on a loading screen after the intro video. Not sure if I'm too impatient or if it's trying to use GC.

7. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    When I had the problem Implosion didn't work. It needs gamecenter to work.

8. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    I can now rejoin the valid complaints and say that my IPad Air 2 has stopped working with Game Center again after 3 or so weeks!

It still works on the original Air and now it works on my iPhone. I could care less about it on iPhone. I wish I could wipe my iPhone out since it's useless but I'm afraid I would lose my contacts. Any suggestions regarding fixing or keeping my contacts?

9. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Save your contacts to icloud. That is until icloud stops working.... ;)

10. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    #170 DonnyDJ76, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    It's now working again on the Air 2!! I'm wondering if anything has to do with the amount of WiFi that is being used at the same time. For example, if your computer is downloading files, if your significant other is using their iPad, you are using your other pad, etc. I live in a condo and I'm wondering if it has to do with too many people using WiFi at the same time.

EDIT: It stopped working.

11. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    They still haven't fixed mine. Wonder if anyone in the USA has started a class action yet ?
    This is complete bs and I don't understand why anyone that "cares" for the iOS gamers and the mobile gaming movement has tried to help even though it isn't effecting them. It's so frustrating to hear people
    Say they support the gaming community but won't help this type of scenario .
    It's mind boggling.

12. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    As I mentioned before Apple gave me a new phone and I didn't use any backup at start up. That being said gamecenter is still working perfectly. It could be the answer to all the problems.

13. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Enh. I got hit with this GC nonsense in October on my iPad Air. A few weeks to a month later I finally got my current iPad Pro, did not restore from a backup of my old iPad and had a solid couple of weeks of GC access before, BAM, it now hit the new device as well.

Interestingly it has never hit my iPhone 6+. While I use my iPhone daily and have hundreds of games on it, I do most of my gaming on my iPad. They both are running the latest Apple public betas (9.2.1 at this point).

Which kind of leads me to believe it is somehow tied into how often you access GC on your device, with more frequent usage edging you closer to your doom. :mad:

14. choocs

choocs Member

Mar 30, 2012
    I've made similar observations on my iPhone 6 Plus (frequent gaming, no GC) and my iPad 3 (infrequent gaming, has GC). But that would imply that it's not a server issue, but rather an issue (possibly transient) with the devices.

It still doesn't give us any useful answers... I used to be able to restart my iPhone and GC would sign in without a problem, albeit temporarily. Now, restarting doesn't even work. I tried last night to sign out, then restart and signed in. That worked once, and hasn't worked again since.

There has been no practical solution in the Apple Discussion forums either, with the only working solution being the issuance of a new phone. That's seriously stupid.

Developers should probably consider other services as alternatives. Because it really seems to be unclear what the source of the problem, or even who is at fault and how. In the mean time, it looks like I'm gonna lose out on the Ferrari in NFS No Limits... :'(

15. Jerutix

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    #175 Jerutix, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    I tried to log into Game Center on my MacBook Air yesterday, and it also did not work. It let me see the front scree (the one with the bubbles), but it would not let me go to any of the other pages. I have 0 games of any kind on my MacBook, and almost never access Game Center there. I am on the Public Beta of El Capitan, though.

Not on the Public Beta of iOS, though I was when the issue first started popping up. Restored my iPhone (not from backup) and had Game Center again for a couple of days, but that was months ago. So, my iPhone is on the latest non-beta of iOS (broken Game Center), my MacBook is on the latest beta of Mac OS (broken Game Center), and my Apple TV is on the latest tvOS (Game Center works - no app for Game Center on Apple TV, but it visibly logs in when starting games).

16. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    This is driving me bananas. I contact Apple support and of course they are clueless, and the only tip they have is to select Game Center from Settings and log out. But when I tap on Game Center in Settings it locks up Settings and doesn't let me do anything.

The only temporary fix I have found it to reset All Settings under (Settings) but then it only works for like an hour before I am back to my white screen of death.

17. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    You have to request a new phone and start as a new device. I've had the problem since September when ios9 was released. This is the only fix for the problem. They are not going to fix it any time soon, the engineers have no idea and they just gave up on it in the end.

Demand a new phone, say it has been done before with success. Show this tread to the apple staff in store.

Hope you guys get it sorted soon. It is a very annoying issue.

18. choocs

choocs Member

Mar 30, 2012
    It is a major problem when games become unplayable because of this Game Center problem. This is especially so for games that are heavily reliant on multiplayer, e.g. Clash of Clans.

However, there are also some primarily single-player games that have been rendered unplayable because of this Game Center debacle, e.g. Need for Speed No Limits, Implosion, and Soda Dungeon.

This is a concern not only for gamers, but for developers and publishers too. Perhaps developers could consider an alternate to Game Center... :( One that is more reliable.

19. Jerutix

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Scratch that last one. Game Center is now broken on the Apple TV too.

20. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#180 killercow, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    Apple just released the second beta for iOS 9.2.1. I'll update and report if Game Center is still broken or not.

Edit: Nope, still broken.