R.I.P. Game Center Bug? (Update to iOS 9.3.2, folks!)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Cccee, Dec 3, 2015.

1. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Mine quit working but a hard reset forced me to re-sign into icloud, been working since. (Message 101 of this thread)

Anyone try signing out of, then back into icloud? Seems like that might work like a game center reset.

2. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    I think they have fired through a small update and it's working now.

3. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    Within mobile data and system services I can see that GameCenter downloaded 13.9mb, maybe that was something to do with the update.

4. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

I'll try that on the iPad. Thanks!

Interesting. That would be great!

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah!? No such update over here for me in the San Jose, CA area. Could they have beamed that to you remotely as a test subject since you have been more than vocal with their engineers or did this really just show up as an Appstore update?

6. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Merry Christmas, all - after a month or so of GC not working at least once a day on my phone - restarted when I re-boot with home and off-switch - it's finally given up today and I can't access GC at all. Looks like it might be time to take a wee iOS gaming break until there's a fix - shame - GC is pretty much what makes me keep playing iOS games - sad as that may seem. I'll try the iCloud thing suggested above but I don't think I use iCloud. Anyway, even though I should be far too long in the tooth to care it reallynis rubbish even though it will probably stop me buying any new games until it's fixed.

7. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

My feelings exactly. Now my iPhone 6 has stopped working again; both my devices are Game Center-less. It worked for a couple hours at least! Ha

I tried signing out of iCloud too, no dice. Seems totally random...

8. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    It's so sad that Apple has done this to its customers.

But if you are going to move on I suggest 3DS and wiiU. I got Xenoblade for both consoles for xmas and I've never played them before and I have to say I have missed out! They are terrific, the battle system it faultless and the world is huge and alive. So good!

9. cerbo

cerbo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2015
    I don't develop games but I am a developer. This is really bad for iOS games developers. There are many good games that use game Center and many of these are not working if someone has the bug. When the customer ask for refund the developers are the ones who suffer first. Apple will suffer in the medium to long term, until somebody who is important enough tells them to put their A-team on this problem, perhaps they are losing millions of dollars every day due to this bug. I think touch arcade is wise not to put it in the news until they have contacted somebody extremely important at Apple.

10. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    Agreed!

It's such a bad business to let this problem persist for so long. Could you see Xbox or Sony doing this with there game networks with no communication?

Can't wait for the new Nintendo Network to start up next year, good buy iOS #

11. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Apple can't ignore everyone who contacts them. I urge everyone who has this problem here to send a report a bug to them. They have a website just for this type of problem. Just send them this data. If it affects 10 percent of their users they will fix it. But if it's to minute to fix then surely they won't make it a priority .
    We have to do this together. No one is going to help us unless it happens to them as well .
    Not sure why these iOS website owners haven't tried to help us either.

12. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    No one seems to care unless it's happening to them.

By the way mine just stopped working again today sometime.

PS: Xenoblade is really really good!

13. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    I already sent a bug report to Apple a couple weeks ago. I got an e-mail reply that my report was closed because the issue had already been reported. I did a search for anything on the Game Center bug and couldn't find anything.

Remember the good old days when Apple was considered excellent in customer support?

14. hvianna

hvianna Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Male
    IT Analyst / Webmaster
    Brazil
    Today I received a friend invite. Tried to accept it and Game Center froze on my iPhone. Then I went to play a game on my iPad mini and Game Center was frozen too! Never had the problem before on my iPhone and had it fixed on my iPad mini a month ago by factory resetting and restoring from iCloud backup, and it had been working fine since then.

So I took my old iPad running iOS7 and checked the invite out. It was from a guy with only 1 game and 400+ friends. Kinda fishy if you ask me. Might be that someone found a string or something that crashes GC (like the SMS thing some time ago?).

Anyway, I deleted the guy from my friend list (on my old iPad), rebooted my iPad mini and GC is working again. Damn, how I regret ever upgrading to iOS9 :mad:

15. SimonMagus

SimonMagus Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2015
    Yesterday I finally received the GC crash on my mini-2 for the first time. Damn it was a helpless feeling; many of my games would not even boot up.. This was my first time to experience the GC crash.. I am not sure if the problem was resolved on its own, or with my help.. But I went ahead and did a full reset on my device and it was working fine after the reset.. Its working as normal today.. My other 2 iOS devices : iPhone 4 and iPad mini, (both with updated software) were not affected..

16. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#136 killercow, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    Don't know if this has been posted yet, but this is what I did to get rid of the White Screen bug on iOS9+:

1) Disconnect from the Internet (wifi..) and restart the device
    2) As soon as possible and without launching anything else go to the settings
    3) Go to the Game Center subcategory
    4) Disconnect from your account
    5) Reconnect from a game or from the app

I didn't have a single white screen/game center bug after that :)

17. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    #### me! It's working!!
    It will still feel like a "for now" type of thing until I see it last a while but it has at least reactivated GC on my phone!!

Thank you so much for this!!!

18. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Killer cow... This did not work for me unfortunately. Hope it keeps working on your end! Appreciate all the ideas.

It's just so frustrating. Now, all of a sudden my device keeps asking for my Apple ID. Doesn't seem to make any difference whether I enter it or hit Cancel. It just keeps popping up. Annoying.

19. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

You can sometimes get Gamecenter to work (in a game) after you reset your device, otherwise, it's broken.

20. WjndWalk3r

WjndWalk3r Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2015
    My Setting app freeze whenever i go to Game Center subsection :(