R.I.P. Game Center Bug? (Update to iOS 9.3.2, folks!)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Cccee, Dec 3, 2015.

1. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    #101 pluto6, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    Iphone 6 +, ios 9.2.

Game Center died on me. I did a hard phone reset - hold power and home until apple comes on and continue holding through the apple disappearing again. Then turn phone on again. I was asked to sign into my icloud account and then i cloud loaded normally.

Not sure if this will help anyone. Its sure a lot faster than a restore if it works consistently.

Edit - later that morning -

I am wondering if the bug is somehow tied into the iCloud? Perhaps signing out of, then signing back into icloud would do a reset of the gamecenter? Just thinking of possible work arounds, as restores are painful, and take several hours due to the 50 Gb of stuff on the phone...

2. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    I can't figure out any logical consistency to how Game Center dies. First it went out on my iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.2. I think it was 9.11 when it died. The phone was a new one, restored as a new device very recently, and had very few apps on it despite 128 GB of space. It was new because Apple sent it to replace another one that had unrelated problems. GC had been working fine, and went out suddenly for no obvious reason. I had not installed any apps since restoring the phone and putting a few games on it at that time.

My iPad Mini went next. It had more games on it than the phone, but I hadn't really changed much on it recently.

Finally, my iPad Air GC wen out just this past week. One minute it was fine. The next, nada. I ha not done any installing or deleting between it working fine and it not.

All devices run iOS 9.2.

Frustrating.

3. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Didnt work for me :(

4. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Didn't work for me either. Sigh....

5. djpookie2000

djpookie2000 Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Me either, still a white screen and lock up in settings. This sucks.

6. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    It does I mean we paid money for some games and now cant even play them.

7. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Damn. i was hoping something might work consistently. Hopefully Apple willhave a fix soon

8. djpookie2000

djpookie2000 Member

Jul 14, 2011
    What irritates me the most is that I just bought Guitar Hero. Now I can't even play the TV mode with the music videos because it requires you to be signed into Game Center. It baffles me that this has been an issue since September and Apple has no fix yet.

9. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    I restored my Air 2 for the last time, and GC has been working for a week. The key I found is to NOT download from the previous purchases section, *Especially if the game is no longer available for purchase or download on the store.
    For example, do not download Powerpuff Girls by Ctn Network. Good game, but only downloadable from the previous purchase section-Avoid*

Also wondering if anyone with the problem has either Decluster game.

Finally, install your apps gradually! You can download them all in the same day but don't have more than 2-3 installs running at once.

As a final precaution if you have another device where GC has always worked, check your GC progress there. All the games sync with GC on both devices.

I hope this helps out at least one person.

I will report back if there is a problem.

I am running IOS 9.2 on both devices.

Donny K76

10. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Just a speculation. Since iOS 9, Apple instituted something called App Thinning. When you download an app directly to your device, it's a smaller, different version than the complete version you get via iTunes. That's why syncing doesn't transfer apps from your device to iTunes on your computer.

Anyway, I was wondering if this has anything to do with the Game Center problem, which began with iOS 9.

This popped into my mind when the previous poster mentioned not downloading apps from your list of prior purchases.

I know this doesn't solve anything for us, but I wonder if these 2 things could be related.

11. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Merry Christmas everybody!
    Just wanted to share the frustration with iOS 9 Game Center bug. At first my iPhone 6 stopped syncing w/ GC, but for some reason my mini 2 kept right on truckin'. Until 2 days ago. Now I've got thousands of games sitting there and no incentive to play them. Especially AirAttack 2. I can't send or receive challenges or upload my new high scores. I've stopped buying iOS games and don't plan on it until the issue is resolved. Anyway, just looking for someplace to vent. Happy Holidays!

12. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I've actually been putting off buying a new phone because of this issue. I want to give Apple $700 and this is preventing from doing that. I don't even use GC for the most part but it's the fact that some games don't load at all that scares me.

13. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Well just to give you a little incentive I just bought a new iPhone 6s plus and GC works fine. The only issue is now trying to sync progress from games on my old phone to my new one because games with GC are not loading at all.

14. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    Miss you buddy! I feel your pain. GC crapped out for me maybe a week ago? Super bummed about it. Will you be posting your noms for GoTY??

15. Anotherkellydown

Hey my good friend! This whole GC thing has left me seriously bummed too. Soured me to anything to do with iOS. I wasn't even going to post my noms. Yes, I'm pouting and feeling sorry for myself ;) I'll post my noms tomorrow if it's not too late. I think tomorrow is the last day. Still have to look through my games and be really OCD about it. Could take a while, lol. Cheers, PK

16. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Oh no! Now I think I only have 1 GC friend left for Air Attack!! :(
    GC still works on my ipad (though every day I load it up I hold my breath) and that's pretty much the only GC game I still play at the moment...

At least I won't have you around to kick my butt in challenges if there's a bright side :)
    Naw, that sucks though. I'm just being sarcastic. I'd much rather get challenges from you and everyone else...I feel your pain and hope we all can have GC working properly sooner rather than later.

All I can say in the end is thank goodness Hearthstone doesn't use GC...

I now cringe when games use GC...kudos Apple, kudos!

17. Anotherkellydown

I was holding my breath with my iPad too. It started taking longer and longer to load GC, then, WHAMMY!... Gone. Hope it holds up for you for the long haul!

It really sucks about AirAttack 2. I was having a lot of fun with the challenges since I had finished the campaign. Now there's not much else to do. Hopefully there's a fix in the near future so we can all be happy again :D

I'm wondering if any of the TA staff have been hit with this. Seems like one of the folks at TouchArcade Towers would have mentioned something by now. They might have for all I know..

18. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    I haven't heard anything on this issue from TouchArcade. I even e-mailed them, but haven't gotten a reply so fR. It was about a week ago I wrote.

19. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    It just started working again I didn't do anything at all and bang it's up and running!

20. Anotherkellydown

I powered down my iPhone for a few minutes then loaded DUET and it's working. I doubt it will last though as this has happened several times now :/