R.I.P. Game Center Bug? (Update to iOS 9.3.2, folks!)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Cccee, Dec 3, 2015.

1. azurerush

azurerush Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Don't anybody realise it's pointless to grasp at straws thinking small little details can cause GC to fail? It's better if we let game developers know that GC has fatal flaws and make them do away with GC altogether. First we gotta let developers of games which require GC to start up know about these problems so that they can update the game to not require GC at all.

2. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    I highly disagree. It is clear that while some people could care less about GC, many people enjoy it immensely. It should not be done away with; it should be fixed.

I do feel that people should have an option whether to delete GC or not, but it certainly should not be discontinued. I have about 215K points and non of my devices have ever been hacked or jailbroken.

3. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Gamecenter worked fine for me in 9.1, now getting full white screen on air 2 with 9.2 installed.

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #84 LordGek, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    I come bearing false hope!

The latest iOS 9.2.1 Public Beta #1 has restored GC to me, but unless it sticks, it could simply be a quick reprieve like one gets from a Settings Reset. I'll keep you posted on WHEN it goes back to crap. :(

UPDATE: NEVER MIND, I could only access the GC app once, now it is back to the white screen, GC is out again.

5. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    Mine is still working after my 13th restore. Just don't have too many apps and only install new and recently updated apps. Also don't install heaps at a time, only download 3 new games at a time.

6. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Odd, two days after my update to 9.2, Game Center app suddenly has started working again, just really slow. But it works!

7. Gluskap

Gluskap Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    I had to quit from 9.1 because of freezing problem while deleting apps. With 9.2 and even 9.2.1 Beta 1, Game Center app doesn't open (blank screen, yeah I did wait long enough), I can't access the settings to log out (it freezes whole device), can't play games that begin with Game Center login. How the hell did Apple reproduce bunch of bugs that solved with last update (9.1) ? Are they even trying?

8. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    9.2 fixed the unable to delete apps bug, but Game Center is still dead. No improvement at all.

9. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    Everybody please refer to my advice in this thread, I have had problems with GameCenter from the start, tried every different which way to fix it. Now I have a fix, it's been working for a week now.

RESTORE IPHONE
    DONT USE BACKUP
    SIGN INTO ICLOUD
    DONT INSTALL OLD GAMES
    ONLY INSTALL NEW GAMES OR RECENTLY UPDATED GAMES
    ONLY HAVE 20 OR LESS GAMES ON DEVICE AT A TIME
    IF A GAME USES AN OLD VERSION OF GAMECENTER IT WILL FREEZE IT, IF THIS HAPPENS IMMEDIATELY RESTART DEVICE.

If you follow these guidelines you will have a working GameCenter again.

Enjoy

10. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Nice job. Bravo

11. Gluskap

Sep 12, 2015
    It's not fix and not even a workaround. You are like "game center doesnt work and i'm ok with it" by doing so.

12. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Your method of fixing the Game Center issue is something to keep in mind, and I thank you. I'm glad it works for you.

But having to treat the device with kid gloves and having to possibly restore it from scratch every time you install some app Game Center doesn't like, is not really a feasible solution. I guess it's better than nothing for now, but Apple , with all the brains who work there, should surely be able to come up with a more permanent solution.

Maybe I'm beating my head on brick walls, but that's how I feel.

13. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    I know how you all feel and my method is a workaround the problem, but I don't care much any more as I play 3DS and WiiU mainly now. I use to love GameCenter and I have around 260,000 points from achievements. Some times you just have to let go.

14. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    It's not so much Game Center for me. I can live without the Achievements and such. What upsets me is some of my favorite games will not even load now. If they would, I'd be okay and just play without Game Center. I'd miss the Leaderboards, but at least I could play.

When this problem brings down some games completely is where I draw the line.

15. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Same here!

To think Apple clearly pushed so hard for devs to utilize their system and now it seems like they've just abandoned any REAL support of it as CLEARLY it is nowhere as important to the powers that be as their stupid iWatch or Music app update.

16. Gluskap

Sep 12, 2015
    See Ramon31? You are ok with it as I said. There is nothing wrong about this but don't tell me "let it go" because that's my business. Again, it's not a workaround. I have 64 GB device, I paid for it and I have the right to use that space (I'm not gonna limit usage of this). I can't even play Implosion. So with that I think you got I don't give a thing about "install only new or recently updated" games.

Don't get me wrong. My problem is not with you. It is just Apple's fault. They reproduced it after solved with last update. Such an amateurish move.

17. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    #97 ramon31, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    I understand your frustration and you have to understand what I have been through to get my phone working properly. I have restored my iPhone 13 times back to factory setting and redownloaded my apps and signed in to everything over and over again. I have also sent over 70 emails back and forth to Apple. I have also spent around 12 hours on the phone to Apple engineering team.

All I'm saying they have no answers at the moment and if you want to play GameCenter at all you have to do as I say and follow the steps I gave.

It's Apple fault this is happened not mine. I've done everything in my power to get it working and I don't even work for Apple. I'm just a consumer who loves games.

This is the 3rd thread about this GameCenter issue, the amount of time I've put into this has burnt me out that's why I have turned to real gaming company which is Nintendo.

Thanks

18. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    I freaking hate my brand new iPhone 6. Piece of crap waste of money. I could delete my phone app for a gamecenter app anyday. This is more of a gaming device for me

19. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    I accidentally downloaded an old game with an old GameCenter version now my GameCenter is broken again.

Damn!

20. djpookie2000

djpookie2000 Member

Jul 14, 2011
    My ipad air 2 game center is not working now. White screen on app, and in settings it freezes up my ipad. My iphone 6 plus game center still works. I did some research online and found this problem has been going on since September. Why in the hell hasn't Apple fixed this yet???

I bought Guitar Hero and now I can't play the TV mode. I am disappointed.

It has to be related to some older game I opened on my ipad air 2. I went through a lot of old games Friday and deleted the ones I don't play or didn't care for.