R.I.P. Game Center Bug? (Update to iOS 9.3.2, folks!)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Cccee, Dec 3, 2015.

1. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Question for ANYONE who has had Game Center Problems: Did anyone receive a random pop up on their device to call a 1-800 number that is not related to Apple? There had been a page that popped up on my device and I had trouble "x" ing it out.

2. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    I haven't had any pop-ups like that, but I've heard rumors of something else. Does anyone else with this Game Center problem have Test Flight? A couple of people on various forums have wondered if that is associated with this problem.

The problem seems too widespread for it to be just related to Test Flight, but it's s thought.

3. DonnyDJ76

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    #63 DonnyDJ76, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    Could it have anything to do with receiving a promo code for a game that wasn't released yet? I think the name of the game is Altered World and I installed it on the Air 2. It has GC integration. Not home now so maybe I should delete it. I haven't used TestFlight since last year.

GREAT! GC just stopped working on my 6+. Motherfu**er.

4. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    iPad Pro to date is fine for me but my 6S+ GC drops out once a day. Fixes with a reboot but it is rubbish as I really do like game center. Quite sad, I know but it's what keeps me coming back to games.

5. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    GC just started working for me out of no where. Just a fluke and going to die again soon or anyone else's GC fixed??
    Can it really be??

6. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    My gc slowly went away. At first it would come back from time to time and then completely gone. I think it started when I downloaded games on TestFlight but can't be sure

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Oh shoot, that might be relevant to when my latest system crapped out.

8. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    After reading your post I did delete Testflight and poof, GC is activated again..
    Not sure how long this ride will last but just a coincidence??

9. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Hope it's a permanent fix for you, but deleting Test Flight did not work fo me. Dang!

10. DonnyDJ76

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    I'm wiping out my iPad original from 2011 as well as the iPod touch 4. I have no idea if this will help. I'm sick of this fecal matter.

To the others that have been succeeding in restoring GC, hopefully it will continue to work for you.

11. Dan A

Dan A Member

Aug 27, 2015
    oh I recently installed Testflight! around the time it broke. I'll try remove but might be to late now its broke

12. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    Well that was fast. GC won't load anymore and back to the white screen of death when trying to load GC app.
    Pffft.

13. azurerush

azurerush Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    If Game Center really is to blame for this, I think we need to lobby developers to stop supporting game center with their games. Maybe an update to remove game center integration, or at least make it optional.

14. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    An update on my 13th restore, GameCenter is still working! I only install new games and less than 20 games installed at a time. GameCenter has lasted over 3 days now so it's a record out of all the restores I've done.

One of these could be the answer. My gut feeling is that one of the old versions of GameCenter used by old unupdated games is cause of the problems.

15. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    I'm also wondering if perhaps something to do with icloud/game syncing with GC...

GC seemed to go out after I updated Pac Man 256 which now has icloud (but doesn't work as stupid GC doesn't work!!!)...could again be a complete coincidence but just maybe there is some sort of conflict/bug that keeps icloud/GC in a loop?
    I dunno...just typing out loud

16. DonnyDJ76

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Ramon and Mr. Charley, please keep me updated. I'm wondering if installing several games at once caused my problem.
    When I try to sync or transfer purchases to my computer and my Air 2 is plugged in, nothing at all gets transferred over to the computer. The iPad icon shows up in iTunes so it's connected. The apps don't transfer at all and it's bizarre!

17. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    To DonnyD176:
    The app's not getting transferred to iTunes is not a bug. It's due to something Apple started , I believe with iOS 9, called App Thinning.
    When you download an App directly to your device it's a "thinned" or smaller version of the app that gets downloaded via iTunes on your PC or Mac. The smaller version gives you just enough to run the app. If you want the full version or to save your apps on your computer, you need to redownload them via iTunes.
    It's a pain, but that's what they did.

Anyway, I don't think the fact that your apps are not getting copied has anything to do with the Game Center issue. As far as I know.

18. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Just realize that it's a few frustrated gamers here grasping at straws to explain why it might have stopped or started working again, and correlations we think we've discovered has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Over the last two days or so GC has come back, died, and come back to die again without me doing anything special. Super annoying but gives me a glimmer of hope that MAYBE Apple Imagineers are actually working on this back on the server side.

19. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    Totally hear you and agree completley. Doesn't mean I won't keep grasping/trying to figure out though! ;)
    But also have that hope that it's Apple fixing stuff in the background and we can all have our Christmas miracle with GC fixed by the holidays! :)

20. DonnyDJ76

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Thanks for all of the sharing, positive hope and suggestions. I might wipe out the Air 2 again and redownload apps using the computer. I will also download the apps 1 at a time. Taking a picture of each page with the apps on the Air 2 is probably a wise idea.

I will also install games that are rather new. I'm wondering is I should turn on iCloud when restoring .

Does anyone have any feedback or suggestions?

I feel like at this point I will try again. I believe Apple can provide me with one more new Air 2 under Apple Care if it breaks.

Thanks for reading.