R.I.P. Game Center Bug? (Update to iOS 9.3.2, folks!)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Cccee, Dec 3, 2015.

1. socalledsin

socalledsin Well-Known Member

About to give the factory reset a go. I'm so over this.

2. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    I have to give the PC restore method a go, thought it would of given the same result as a iCloud restore.

3. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Here here! Those of us with mild (and undiagnosed) OCD don't understand how people can have so many apps on their phone that are unused.

I also balance my screens out with colors and app designs. My wife makes so much fun of me when I start moving around Apple TV apps so the screen looks balanced.

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Well Mr. OCD, meet Mr. Hoarder who, even in this day and age that you can redownload the biggest apps in a minute, feels its important to have almost all apps he's ever loved on his machine already.

So I've bit the bullet and done the PC Backup/Restore and GC is working again...but I have to admit I have little faith it will even last the day, I hope I'm wrong.

5. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Just a quick note/warning about doing a restore and back up from your PC. Make sure all the apps on your phone are backed up to your computer. If they're not iTunes will not, can not restore the app or its data to your phone. Unless that's change and it now initiates a download from the App Store, but even in that case anything pulled from your purchase history won't be available to download. I don't know but I'm not taking any chances and have backed up all my apps.

Going in for the restore. Wish me luck.

6. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Guess what. I rebooted my phone today and all of a sudden Game Center is working again. Lol. It's been broken all this time. And it just starts working.

Billy

7. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Immediately brings this classic scene to mind...

8. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I can spend hours just looking at all the games, trying to figure out what game I want to play or re-play, and when I finally decide, its time for bed. :D

9. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Continuing this derail...

I spend a majority of my free time sitting at my "Command Center" (computer desk) with my streaming TV, Steam enabled PC, and my iPad in hand overwhelmed with my gaming choices. While this should be Nirvana, I'm wracked with indecision and have so many games on my PC I "want to want" to play, like Civilization: Beyond Earth, or now my just snagged XCOM 2, but will invariably spend most of my time playing really brainless match 3 games. :(

10. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military

Hmmmm. Why does this make me feel like I am looking into a mirror??

11. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Kind of similar for me except I am sitting on the couch looking at my xbox one and not feeling like playing it so I play a bunch of free to play games on my phone instead lol.

12. socalledsin

I was skeptical, but the restore totally worked. This is the longest I have been able to stay logged in to GC. Previously when opening GC the data indicator would spin for a bit, but now it pops up instantly.

For those interested, I did an encrypted backup in iTunes on my Mac, then put my phone in recovery mode and restored to that backup. Took very little time, and other than having to redo my fingerprint nothing else was affected.

13. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Recovery mode? Please elaborate.

14. socalledsin

Plug in the phone to your mac/pc hold power and home button for 10 seconds, then release power button while still holding home button.

I dont think that is even necessary though. Can probably just hit restore in itunes.

15. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Do a factory restore and then restore from backup. Should fix the problem.

Otherwise, use the wifi off, kill apps, airplane mode, restart phone, settings to Game Center, log out, turn on wifi and relogin.

16. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Gamecenter started working again yesterday and today it's broken again rofl. 3 resets and it's still broken.

This is ridiculous.

Billy

17. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Hey guys I just got my new 6s shipped with iOS9, so it's a jump from iOS7 I've been using. Heard iOS9 screws up GC, how is it now? Should I upgrade to 9.2 or just wait for 9.3?

18. socalledsin

Might as well, i had the same issue in both of the 9.3 betas. Still going strong after the restore tho.

19. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Sounds disappointing for Apple :/

20. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    The resets are a bit like plaque. The more you do it, the harder it is to fix the next time. Seems to build up an immunity (in my experience). Feels like code that corrupts itself.

I did a restore two days ago and things are working okay, for now, but I'm not crossing my fingers it will hold for long. I'm preparing for the worst.