R.I.P. Game Center Bug? (Update to iOS 9.3.2, folks!)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Cccee, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Mince0

Mince0 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I think this method works until you restart the device (always reboot with airplane mode turned on)

some people have found it only works if automatically update time zone is on

2. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Aaaaand *poof*, GC on my iPad Air stopped working last night.
    That's it for you GC. We're done.

As for Apple and the length of time it is taking to fix, I can only assume this is not a high priority at all

3. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I updated from the iphone 5s to the Iphone 6 running ios 9.2.1 and gamecenter just died. Nothing is working. None of the tricks in this thread have worked. Most of my games are dead..

Argh So glad I upgraded my device and OS.

Billy

4. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Game Center just randomly started working for me today. Loaded up Sky Chasers and the GC welcome screen popped up. Played a little bit and achievement banners began to appear as they should. Clicked the GC logo in game and everything loaded as it should showing me achievements and leaderboards, and it loaded quickly too. I'm sure this working like it is now won't last, but maybe it's a sign they are doing something about this bug. Haven't had even a shred of GC in months, so even this little glimpse, temporary or not is refreshing...

5. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Gamecenter randomly worked today after I opened one of the games I have been playing. Weird seeing it hasnt worked in months accept when I did the airplane mode trick.
    It's not working now but did for about an hour

6. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    That happened to me too last week. It suddenly started working normally on my iPad, without my having done anything. After about a day it quit again though, and now GC is dead again.

7. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    I can confirm a few claims here on this thread, with opinions included:

First, condolences to everyone in this thread among others who have had difficulty and frustration with this issue.

Last night, my Ipad Air 2 was connected to charge, and without my permission, iOS 9.2.1 was downloaded and installed.

This killed Game Center for me.

I upgraded my iphone 6+ after 9.2.1 was automatically downloaded but not installed, but I installed it myself. This killed Game Center on that apple device/

I was able to keep 9.2 on my iPad Air 1 and Game Center works very intermittently. (Soft and Hard resets will eventually break the machine.) However, I cam not able to open the GC app on that device. At this point, if I can jailbreak and go back to iOS 8.4.2, I certainly will. There were never any problems I encountered with this version.

I am no longer buying Apple games other than keeping a list of all the great releases that come out each week. If and when this is fixed, I will go back to supporting this scumbag of a company.

The engineers need to go back to Apple School to take brand new courses in being able to fix these issues. After all the time I have spent, I also blame myself. This sadly enough has affected my 8 year relationship with my significant other.

The engineers and so called customer service agents who are referred to as geniuses are actually incompetent morons who could care less.

I will not make a genius bar appointment because I have an extremely short fuse, especially with people who outright lie and say they are not familiar with this issue.

As I no longer waste time with this issue, I will support my PS4, Xbox One and WII U.

For now, Apple, you can go straight to hell.

PS4 ID: DonnyDJ76 XBox 360/Xbox One ID: DonnyDJ76 WII U: I only play local games with myself or friends, not into online multiplayer on WII U.

Good luck to everyone who has encountered these issues. Once again, I would love to find competent lawyers who will take on a class action lawsuit based on emotional distress and financial losses. After all, they lost already when they got sued for not warning parents about in-app-purchases.

For people who haven't encountered these issues, that's wonderful, but do not upgrade to 9.2.1. I actually received an email from one of the genius engineers who told me that 9.2.1 should do the job.

Apple, please buy a vowel for the following Wheel of Fortune puzzle: F_CK YO_!

8. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    I couldn't agree more.

For all that is having the problem, I have to say just try and move on....speaking with people within Apple the problem will not be fixed any time soon.

I'm so glad I have my Nintendo WiiU and 3DS these are much better platforms for gaming and rarely anything goes wrong with them.

RIP Gamecenter
    ###

9. David1886

David1886 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    #329 David1886, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    I had about 800 games and 100000 points on GC and about 100+ new games which I can't normally play with GC achievements because of this bug.
    I spent so much money for games in AppStore and have this issue for so long.
    What a shameless gaming future you have, Apple

10. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    #330 ramon31, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    I've downloaded around 10,000 games on the AppStore since it started according to AppZapp and I have over 250,000 points on GameCenter. It used to be my primary gaming device. Since it broke I play 3DS and WiiU now.

But I have spent $1000's of dollars on games on the AppStore, most of the games I use to buy had to have GameCenter otherwise I wouldn't purchase it. Now on the rare time I purchase something it can't have GameCenter because if it does it may not work.

RIP GameCenter
    ###

11. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    I don't get this problem, luckily, but I'm with you. I should be very, very angry with Apple... More than you, I think.
    But... what are the actual numbers of this bug?

12. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I had the problem and it got corrected. The numbers are hard as Apple has not acknowleged the problem formally. Certainly lots of forums have a lot of people complaining, but what is "a lot?" A few thousand people complaining on forums looks huge due to forum traffic, but there are hundreds of millions, or tens of millions of ios owners.

Until Apple owns up to the issue, it wont really be possible to know. And even then it would be an estimate based more on Apple estimating the problem from looking at their tech side, and complaint side.

13. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Wait, what? how can you drop a statement like that and just walk away? "Yea, that problem you guys are having, I fixed it. Peace out.";)

Seriously though how did you fix it?

14. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Some people are cured from this virus as mysteriously as they got it.

If you read through the posts there are have been many offered fixes, but they clearly haven't worked for everyone and most of us lucky enough to see the problem resolve itself are right back in the dysfunction a few hours to days later. Pluto6 is the only 1 I know have to have cured himself and remained cured for weeks later now, but the steps he gave us, didn't work for most of us.

If I remembered correctly it was just a hard reset that fixed everything for you, Pluto6?

15. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Same here. I go into Settings, and thanks to being in Airplane mode, I can actually bring up the Game Center Control Panel (usually just trying to access this would cause Settings to lockup), but, sadly, when I try to sign out of GC, I just get an endlessly spinning busy signal.

16. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Yeah, a hard reset, and then I got a dialog box telling me that I needed to sign into game center. Somehow I was logged out. I signed back in, and everything has worked since then (although I didnt purposefully try and overload the system as some users have suggested are ways they seem to have been broken - accidentally of course).

I wish I could donate my "antibodies" to the group. I would love to see everyone fixed.

17. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I am sure you have tried, but maybe hard reset during the busy signal? Or even just a force quit (hold power button until power off shows, then press and hold home button until home screen shows)?

18. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Same thing here.

19. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Fix for Game Center
    Go to airplane mode
    Kill all apps
    Reset home+power
    Go to Game Center
    Go to Game Center
    Load your games
    ( no internet error)
    Now turn on your internet
    Go back to Game Center home page
    Load game and wait 30 sec max
    And banned it will work
    Keep in mind that I am using iOS 9.2 on an iPad 4
    Please tell me if it helped- it works for me
    This fix is when you can't log out from Game Center
    I have found the fix in 3 days

20. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Crap Weasels.

This actually got me further than many other proposed fixes, but like a super adaptive virus (maybe it actually is one and thus why Apple hates to admit anything about it), on the first game I then launched (Swapperoo), even though I saw the GC login banner, I couldn't access any scores, just the busy signal as it "loaded" endlessly. :mad: