R.I.P. Game Center Bug? (Update to iOS 9.3.2, folks!)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Cccee, Dec 3, 2015.

1. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    Done it all mate, can't do any more than I have. If you read through the threads you would know that.

This is not the only forum thread, I started another quite a while before this one started.

2. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Maybe if they get enough people requesting refunds on purchased Game Center games they'll get tired of losing money and fix the stupid problem. At this point it would at least be nice if they would simply acknowledge the problem...

3. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Seems as if iOS 9.3 allows you to connect to Gamecenter when necessary but the app itself is still broken. Ridiculous.

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Neat if true, but I found something like this to only be a cruel tease and after starting another game or two it was clear that GC was still out.

5. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Well that's not true for me. Game Center is still as broken as ever on iOS 9.3.

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    After updating to 9.3 I immediately fired up Zen Pinball. Just like the good ol' days, I saw that it logged me into GC! But, wait for it, when I then went to one of the table's leaderboards all I saw was an endless loading with no GC scores ever showing up. :mad:

7. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    And you have seen me beating all your scores!!! :D:D

Actually , you have my tail whooped pretty good on some of the tables.

8. Cevan

Cevan Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2012
    I just got off a chat with Apple support and she said that after doing some further research on this issue, she would be escalating this issue to a Senior Advisor and submitting more information to Apple. Earlier in the chat she had told me to restore my iPhone from backup, but after this she said the issue was with the software, and that restoring from backup would be unnecessary. Hopefully this means the issue should be fixed before too long.

9. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Haha. Game Center is incompatible with iOS 9. Take that Apple.

10. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Thanks to Cevan and all the other folks who have reported this issue to Apple. Hopefully a fix will be coming soon.

11. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Damn, I just found another game that won't open, STO (Special Tactics online). This has gotten old.

12. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

So, iOS 9.2.1 is out. Anyone can try it out and see if they fixed anything at the last minute? I really doubt it but it sure would be nice.

13. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Opened up the Game Center app. After 15 seconds it took me to the login screen. I put in my info, and hit Sign In. And now it's sitting on the spinning wheel. It's been like 5 minutes.

My gut says no fix.

14. Cccee

Cccee Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Same thing happened here. Settings/Game Center still freezes too.

My gut says the same as yours.

15. David1886

David1886 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    What a shame, Apple! Hard to imagine situation like this with PSN, Xbox Live or Stream

16. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    I reported the situation again to Apple and they gave me 3 free songs credit as a compensation.... this is crazy!

Is there a way I could put the email they sent me on the forum, it's a must read.

17. speedlie

speedlie Member

Aug 26, 2013
    after the update worked GameCenter 10 seconds ?? shame Apple

18. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I only started suffering with this issue from 9.2 -- was fortunate enough to not experience it in 9.0 or 9.1. First off, it was just occasional, so a reboot fixed it. Then I found myself rebooting a couple of times a day. This weekend it got so bad that even reboots didn't fix it -- hang on the setting screen, blank screen in GC app itself.

Anyway I did a full backup to iCloud then did a reset/erase all content. Restarted my device and logged-in to GC just fine. Then, I restored my phone from the iCloud backup and everything is fine again -- GC works, games recognize it. We'll just have to see how long it lasts.

Importantly, all my game/app settings remained from the backup. Really, the only things I had to do were my TouchID fingerprints and add my ApplePay debit/CC cards again.

Of course, this might not work for everyone, and seeing as my GC issue started slowly and occasionally and progressively got worse over time, I'm not holding out much hope this is going to be a permanent fix.

iCloud Backup is way better than it used to be. As someone who's been using iOS devices for a long time, it always used to seem that I would lose something when restoring.

19. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015

Others have also done that same thing. Most reporting that it works for less then a month or so. ramon31 has reported doing this somewhere around 15 times and is still having the issue.

20. stvnorman

stvnorman Member
    Patreon Silver

Jan 19, 2016
    European Marketing Manager, big electronics corpor
    Bedford, UK
    After months of this wrecking a bunch of games - whether leaderboards or just not being able to load - I was over the moon when the GC app loaded after today's iOS update. That lasted ten seconds. Like others, the familiar blank screen then returned, followed by Settings freezing. Apple clearly couldn't care less about this thing they introduced with such fanfare any more, or their customers that bought into it.