iPhone Qvadriga (by Slitherine)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jun 13, 2014.

1. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    #41 badmanj, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    Just make some of the text and buttons larger, and add a button that can be clicked during the game to show that controls popup and you're pretty much done... Thanks for helping out btw... Appreciated.

Regarding not getting this feedback during testing, if you tested only with players already used to the title on the PC I'm not surprised you missed feedback such as this. Try testing with IOS gamers entirely unfamiliar with the title and I'm certain you'd get this feedback time and time again.

2. kludger

kludger Member

Oct 5, 2009
    auto center

I've spent a couple of hours playing it an am enjoying it, especially because at this point I've figured out how not to flip the chariot so often.

The main UI things that bug me:
    1. In the manage screen, the buttons between the repair and sell are pretty close and it doesn't confirm if you want to sell, so I've accidentally sold horses and chariots when I fat fingered the sell button by accident when I meant to hit the repair button.

2. In the race, when you scroll the view to look ahead at the track and make sure there's no obstructions it will auto-center the view after a few seconds on it's own which moves the buttons and made me hit the wrong button when the view is recentering unexpectedly a few times.

So bigger buttons and the option to turn off the auto center and confirm sales would be my personal wishes for improved UI.

Overall very fun and addicting game, especially if the UI gets some tweaks, kudos for the price point Slitherine.

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Okay, never mind, you can tap on any driver to see his stats (perks and relative health of each horse, wheel, chariot, etc.).

Basic crap I've learned so far:

1) In the campaign, it would seem your best initial tactic would be to play very cautiously. Just try to make it to the finish in one piece for a few races. The idea is to gain a little cash reserve first before taking big risks so that you'll be able to afford your repairs and medical bills when you really decide to get in the fray.

2) Don't take those turns too fast! If you see your next move rated "brown" or "red", use the Control option on your next move (that one furthest left) or slow down.

4. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Bigger buttons please as I have large fingers and taps don't register easily. When I try and select easy, hard etc on the single race I've taped 20 times to try and register. So bigger buttons there.

Then on the manage screen bigger buttons.

Overall much large text and buttons required but this is a game I know I'll get addicted to once I don't have to struggle with the buttons and menus.

The game itself, the theme and concept and gameplay are AWESOME. I'm confident things will be fixed so I'm giving 5 stars in advance.

5. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    My main problem is the size of the buttons and the text. Enlarging them would greatly assist me as I have large fingers so often taps don't register.never ever bought one of your games before so this is my 1st experience with one of your games and support. The game looks awesome except the tiny UI icons make it a pain to use. Once that's fixed I'll be happy.

I gave you 5 stars in advance because I can see you're looking at making it easier for ios gamers. I'm also looking at buying your other games.

6. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    The type of people needed for beta testing are fussy, critical perfectionists like me. People who will speak up when there's an inconvenience and not just stay quiet. That's counter productive. You want and need criticism iin the beta testing stage rather than now. Your beta testers did you a disservice by not being more critical.

If I was testing it you wouldn't have anything but accolades now. I would never have let you launch on iTunes like it is now.

7. DerDree

DerDree Active Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Oh I am really in love with this game. Its very great and I already played lots of hours.

I agree that there are some adjustments needed for ios. I also tapped a few times a wrong action button in game because of the auto scrolling. Also I would really like one feature: be able to scroll the view while a turn is in progress. So i could follow other players and see how they are performing even if they are not that close to me.

Oh and regarding "too small text": Please dont just scale up the text size because I think it would not be good either. An adjustment is good but I think there is surely another solution for this because otherwise it might look like a upscaled iPhone game.

Overall I really like it and gave it 5 stars. Really addictive.

8. Slitherine Iain

Slitherine Iain Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    We did try to recruit outside of the PC players but the feedback we got from new players was minimal so we had to mostly rely on the existing player base. We are always looking for beta testers and UI design is one of the biggest issues but without feedback its tricky to make progress. We'd love to see more if you guys sign up and be vocal on future beta programs.

9. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    I gave it 5 too but haven't played it like you but hope to. I'm using an ipad and struggling with small text and tiny buttons. Tapping is a problem for me as I have big fingers but the buttons need to be larger to make tapping easier.

10. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    I want to thank everyone here for the tips. At first all I got was a broken chariot with me being dragged ruthlessly around the track! Lol. Boy this game really captures the cruelty of the sport. So now I'll just keep racing to build up some money.

Any more tips are greatly appreciated.

Also, which of the other a Slitherine games should I get as I'm thinking about getting one more. Is that 3D one any good? Is it worth $24?

11. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    528MB installed.

12. Felonious Tub

Felonious Tub Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Finally picked this up last night. Absolutely brilliant. I don't see all the fuss about the confusion with the buttons. The symbols make a lot of sense for what they do and there's really only a few different things to do, just different variations with the lane changing.

I do agree with the button sizes being too small and the auto snap back to centre is a bit annoying. I have made a couple of accidents when I've gone to press a button and the screen auto moves.

13. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    Beautiful game. Worth the $$. Love watching other charioteers get dragged around the track!! Ha! Ha! As long as it's not me. Yes larger buttons would make touch life more easy for my jar ge fingers but this is pure fun.

A must buy. Highly recommended. You get the full game no IAP's.

14. Morphzeus

Morphzeus Active Member

Aug 10, 2013
    € 9 for what? Boring gameplay and poor graphics? Unbelievable! A game that I even if it is free, would not download!

15. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    #55 Gabriel.Voyager, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    I've an iPad mini retina, iOS 7.1.1
    The game costantly crash if i lost my charriot and touch the X in the upper right side of the screen to quit the race.
    And please make the button big in the managment screen, and also bigger font, with the iPad mini is difficult read the text.

16. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    That's because the X in the corner exits the app, try it out in any menu. It will exit the game. The quit race button during a race is only available sometimes and it will be an arrow pointing left, it will appear three icons to the left of the X button.

17. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    My fault!
    I think that is the first iOS app with the close button included in the interface.
    Ok, i will not touch the X again :)

18. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    There are a few things in this game that are not explained, so it's understandable.:)

19. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    @Slitherine Iain,

this is my do-over post. my first one was full of foul language and barbs like 'doesn't anyone tell the truth any more?' but i tossed it in hopes of just a plain honest answer. where is the Da Vinci's Art of War update submitted 2 weeks ago? and don't do what Playdek did with Summoner Wars and play the 'Apple did it' card.

20. Slitherine Iain

Slitherine Iain Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Unfortunately it's still in submission. It got rejected first time round because our certificate expired in the middle of the process. This required our technical director who was out of the office and couldn't build a new certificate until he was back. This happened first thing Monday when he was in. It was very unlucky timing but its been in submission now since Monday so I expect it will be available early next week.

If you know anything about us you'll know we'll give yo an honest answer.

here is the fully history copied from Apple:

June 25, 2014 05:38
    Apple
    Waiting For Review
    June 25, 2014 05:29
    Apple
    Upload Received
    June 25, 2014 05:25
    slitherine
    Waiting For Upload
    June 25, 2014 05:25
    slitherine