Quit Smoking Apps?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Spek, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Spek

Spek Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    These quit smoking apps... Has anyone bought one? Do they work? Are there any that are better than others. It seems odd to me to have a quit smoking app but I am still curious if anyone has had any experiences with these apps.

A quick app store search shows these apps
    Quitter
    Quit smoking - cold turkey (lite and normal)
    Quit smoking now with max kirsten
    ismoke break
    quit smoking helper
    quit smoking with andrew johnson
    i dont smoke
    senso smoke
    iquit
    smokeless
    lung age calculator
    cigarette tracker

WOW... rather than looking through ALL of those i thought i would ask if anyone has even thought about buying one of these?

2. thinkdontpray

thinkdontpray Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    none of these apps will actually help aside from keeping track of how long you've been smoke free and how much money you've saved

i used quitter which is free. i had bought the iphone as a present for myself for quitting and as a reminder to stay smoke free. so i got the quitter app and plugged in the info and checked it every few days to see how much money i had saved. it was useful in that sense for sure

3. apocalypsx

apocalypsx Member

Dec 20, 2008
    just stop smoking...

1) cut down to lowest nic
    2) keep away from smokers
    3) find a alternative habit (distraction)

not that hard...quit after 5 years of that S**T

4. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    There's no better way to quit than just not buying them. You'll smell and taste better, which translates into attractive girls stick around a little lonnger. It's a fact that hot chicks like nonsmokers

5. Spek

Spek Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    All of that is easier said than done, and its not like I don't know about/try the reasons and methods you guys mentioned. Room mates are smokers and Im in college around smokers all the time. Anyway, thats besides the point. I've been looking at the apps and all of em seem to have money tracking kind of things which looks like a useful motivator. I was mostly just wondering if these apps are a load of bull or not. One app was talking about hypnosis and stuff, another had reviews that looked like they were all written by a dev hyping his own game. Maybe a time machine app that lets me go back and not smoke to begin with? :p

6. teagan1000000

teagan1000000 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    E-ciggarette, I don't smoke but it's my favorite app

7. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Haha I would pay for that!
    :D

8. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Barista
    Belfast
    I used the Quit Smoking Now app with Max Kirsten... and found it to be excellent, been just over a month now without smoking, and it really hasn't been that difficult at all. I had been smoking for around 7 years, and my previous best attempt was 7 days, and I'd always found patches or any other NRT stuff stressed me out even more.

The app basically consists of two mp3 hypnotherapy sessions; the main one lasts 45 mins, and a 'top-up' session of about 20 mins. Theres a few other bits and pieces, information e-cards, and a quit counter. Its quite hard to describe the effect of the sessions, but overall the app was a great go-to, particularly in the first few days when I was looking for anything to occupy me other than smoking.

After raving on to my sister about how great the app was, she got it too and has now not smoked for 3 weeks (and she had been smoking for 10 years longer than me). I'd say the app is definitely worth a go, not even the price of a pack of cigarettes.

I apologize if that sounded like a sponsored advertisement by the way, I was certainly sceptical when I read all the app store reviews, but it really did work...

9. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
  10. Kita

Kita Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Boston
    No amount of self help/aid (or todo for that matter) will help you unless YOU are really determined and desire to make it work yourself. But if you aren't then these apps are really just another form of procrastination and a waste of money for you.

11. Apps sometimes really helps..

Hi,
    Yeah, really you have a good list of quit smoking kits.Sometimes I have seen those helpful.Oh God ! though I take quite a few times yet not an addictive to these at all.So really thanks to these apps. as I would have been a mad using all these frequently.

12. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    When you have the urge to smoke go for a jog. Not by your house/apt but at a park or some public place.

Workouts are good too if you have a membership somewhere (doing it at your home won't help, you're too close to the cigs).

13. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

I quit smoking this year after about 13-14 years.
    You just have to decide to stop, and stick to it.
    No cheating, not even once.

It's hard, it's damn hard, but you knew that going in.

14. Terrence

Terrence New Member

Hi,

Once you realize that stopping this bad habit actually lies with you as opposed to the fallacy that big pharmaceutical and multinational companies do, you will find that the fuss about the impossibility of quitting was all a storm in a teacup.

15. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I tried Quitter and Quit Smoking Now with Max Kirsten. Neither of them helped me quit smoking and Max Kirsten made me sleepy. Nicorette was no help either. The Nicoderm patches were the most effective medication I had tried (the downside being hallucinations.) I also ripped the tobacco portion off of a cigarette and kept only the filter so I could go through the motions. That was actually quite effective, assuaging the habitual element of the addiction. No matter what I tried, however, I would frequently make excuses to cheat. Then, in December, I changed jobs and I moved to a new city. I haven't smoked since. I don't feel like smoking, though I dream about it from time to time. Funny that.

16. Mastersoft

Mastersoft Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    #16 Mastersoft, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
    I've created a new thread for 'My Last Cigarette' with some promo codes if you're interested in helping us improve this product. Smoking stinks (literally) :0)

17. PowerThirst

PowerThirst Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    It's just like self-help books, if you use these things you need more than help on quitting.

18. Well,

We all know that a lot of people would treat smoking in many different ways. Some people see smoking as normal as chewing gum. For a concerned individual, smoking is bad and should be stopped. For a businessman, smoking could be a good opportunity to enter business and could give him a lot of money.

The common thought among people when it comes to smoking is that it is harmless, because most of them do not experience any pains or disadvantages of smoking at the moment. Take in comparison the good effects and the negative effects of smoking, very contradicting indeed. The bad effects of smoking are really bad and if you stop smoking, the benefits you will get are equally as good. With what there is, you have a really good reason to stop smoking so start thinking about it now.

19. thomj7

thomj7 New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    #19 thomj7, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
    I've tried quite a few quit smoking apps already including Max Kirsten. The one that I'm still using is "Sick of Smoking".
    It gives you 3 options to help you quit smoking including hypnosis. But the option I'm using is tapering - I now smoke 10 cigs per day instead of 30. Hopefully within a couple of weeks I won't be smoking at all.
    Like a few other apps it has a section for managing withdrawal effects and calculates time and money saved and health benefits.
    The app also has this thing called Smoking IQ - a test to see how much you know about smoking. It's a bit of fun anyway.
    For me at $1.99 it's good value.

20. francesco

francesco New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Now I trying new app - I Stop Smoking. This app is not just simple sigarette counter - it sets limit and control me to quit smoking before the New Year. I think it's good idea!