Quickoffice Connect Mobile for iPad vs. Documents to Go Premium

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by CzarCastic, Jul 13, 2010.

1. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

We don't really have a forum to discuss iPad apps that aren't games, so I figured this is the best place to put this thread.

Does anybody here have any experience with either Quickoffice Connect Mobile Suite for iPad or Documents to Go Premium Office Suite? I'm trying to decide which of these apps will best fit my needs. And, as you know, it's very hard to judge the quality of the app based on iTunes reviews.

Right now, I'm leaning towards Quickoffice Connect. It's $9.99 compared to $14.99 for Documents to Go. Both apps seem to be compatible with Microsoft Word and Excel, as well as PDF files. Documents to Go adds the ability to create and edit Powerpoint files, but I can't tell you the last time I needed Powerpoint, so that is not really a selling feature for me.

I think the most important feature is useability. Which app is easier to use? From the screenshots in iTunes, I think I like the look of Quickoffice better, but neither of them have very good shots in the app description. Any comments here?

Is there anything else I should consider? I'm looking for an app that allows me to create/edit Office files, mostly Word and Excel, as well as PDF files. It should be able to view these files if they've been sent to me as email attachments.

Thanks!

2. CzarCastic

3. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    I have iWork and QuickOffice. The only advantage of QuickOffice is the better import and export possibilities. But iWork is more like a desktop office suite and QuickOffice is clearly a very restricted mobile office. So my recommendation: Use an app like ReaddleDocs to manage your documents on the iDisk or Dropbox and open from there the files in iWork. Saving back to iDisk is a bit complicated (first send it to yourself, then store the attachment within ReaddleDocs), but possible.

4. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    I have D2G for the iPhone and its rather meh. So take that as you will.

5. CzarCastic

So, you're saying that the Universal app on the iPad will be 2X meh. Got it. Thanks. :p

-1 Documents to Go Premium.

6. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    I paid for D2G and also "aquired" QO when my phone used to be JB to try it and didnt like that either so maybe these mobile suites just arent for me lol.

Visually, QO looks nicer than D2G though.

7. CzarCastic

I'm sure nobody cares, but I decided to go with Quickoffice Connect Mobile for iPad. It has all of the features I'm looking for. It is designed for the iPad, rather than fitted to both iPhone and iPad like Documents to Go. And, according to the developer website, they are working on implementing Powerpoint integration, so that brings it up to par with D2G as far as compatibility is concerned.

I linked the app to my Dropbox account and it worked perfectly. It pulled in all of my folders and docs. Editing them in Quickoffice resulted in an immediate update to the document in Dropbox. I was able to see the changes immediately on another computer. The controls are intuitive. Some of the Excel spreadsheet formatting did not carry over (specifically merged cells), but that's not a huge deal. Overall, I'm satisfied that I made the right choice.

8. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    I may try QO now since it will have PP editing some day. Does it edit Google Docs as well?

9. CzarCastic

Yes. And, Box.net and MobileMe as well.

10. nealrelics

nealrelics Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Those of us who organize our lives around Google Docs now have another option to access and update our important information on the road. Quick Connect Mobile Office Suite for IPAD is a very long name for an application, not long on features as its nearest competitor, Docs To Go Premium, but what it lacks in comparison he made in usability and design overall.

11. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I like better DTG because it synchronizes with my desktop files and Google docs.