Quick "Vibrate" Question

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Chase, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    How quick can you make a vibrate? I was thinking, if you've ever played Wario Ware Twisted on the GBA, could you achieve that same vibration effect?

If you haven't played it, whenever you would turn it (the game cart has a built-in accelerometer of some sort) it would vibrate and almost kind of click. Think: knob on a dryer or an old microwave. :D

Basically, what I want to know, is could you give super-short vibrations that would be even tenths of a second? This would give some games some great tactile feedback when using motion control.

2. Hippieman

Hippieman Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Senior Producer, Designer
    San Francisco
    When you make the iPhone vibrate in code, it is always the same intensity and duration.

Where as a Wii/Xbox/PS3 (the new one) have variables such as intensity or duration.

In short, the vibration you get when you get an email or a text message is the only kind of vibration you can put into a game.

3. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Ah. I see, thanks.

Could you maybe trick it by interrupting a vibration mid-way? I haven't played around with the SDK really at all, so I wouldn't know.

4. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    It would be cool to have one of those landscape email typing apps have a quick vibrate when you touch a key.. could be kinda cool like haptic feedbackish