Universal QuestLord (by Lava Level)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by LavaLevel, Feb 8, 2013.

1. rpgmind

rpgmind Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    For the magic users, I found the 'heal' spell in the walls of the crimson caverns, lvl 1 near the south entrance. Search the cave paintings!!! The detail in the game is fantastic, there's a lot of lore tucked away if you look.

2. Eidaven

Eidaven Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012
    So I'm having a problem with having too much inventory. I think I've picked up a few quest items that I don't have quests for yet so they are just taking up space. In addition to that, I have a bunch of potions and food I've picked up and now my inventory is full. I don't really want to sell the stuff I have because I'll probably need it later. So what can I do with it in the mean time? There are no chests to store items right? If I just drop am item on the ground will it stay there forever? Also, if this is my only option this would be extremely inconvenient. I think there is a teleport spell later but what do I do right now?

I suggest doing something about the inventory. What about chests in towns that are all commonly linked? Or just make more inventory slots for the character.

3. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Thanks for pointing me to Undercroft didn't know it was free and looks sweet. Oh yea this is not some simple game there is a lot of details. The game deserves GOTY/GOTW

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Toss extra items on the floor wherever you see fit and they will stay there until you want to go back to get them. Using the floor by the statue/shrine you link to is a good idea so if you die you can easily restock.
    The Quest is essential. It's wildly detailed and probably more for "hardcore" RPGers but get it as soon as you can.

5. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    In defense of Silver Sword, it isn't supposed to be a light dungeon crawler. We all grew up on different RPG's; I never played Dungeon Master but I did play (finish? Different story) The Bard's Tale 1-3 and Dragon something, a game which used the same engine and might have been developed by the same group.

Silver Sword is an homage to the Bard's Tale series, which, like the Wizardry! games, were not light-rpgs using any definition of the term "light" I can think of. They were brutal. Unplayable (before mini-maps were added in I think the 3rd installment) if you didn't map every inch of every dungeon level with graphing paper, taking copious notes along the way.

My dad bought them along with the strategy guides (wish I still had them!)...must have had to have been the first time I'de seen a strategy guide for a computer game.

I'm not bashing you, just rambling and reminiscing a bit...and to be honest, I doubt I would spend much time on an homage to The Bard's Tale games. There is tough and there is the ridiculous, which the Bard's Tale (at least the 2nd and 3rd) frequently approached.

Now I'm going to have nightmares of Magic Mouths, Spinners, uber monsters hidden in single cell roonms, cursed statues and fountains...and damned riddles.

6. stutz

stutz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    #146 stutz, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
    And I'm not bashing you either by any means. If anything I was a little terse in my proclamation earlier. I agree with you that Silver Sword is by no mean s light CRPG and as a homage to Bard's Tale, I think it succeeds well. I need to play it on the PC, I'm sure I would get into it a lot more. When I started playing on my Iphone, I felt a bit overwhelmed by all the stats and options. QuestLord is clearly a far more simple game but scratches that old school dungeon crawl itch a whole lot faster and I'm more likely to play this type of game on my Iphone. I still have Silver Sword on my iPhone and I plan on giving it another go. It's clear that you put a lot of love into the game and it was probably unfair of me to compare it with QuestLord especially since I haven't given the time necessary to potentially appreciate your game more.

My brother and I sank at least 30 hours into Bard's Tale II and 'maybe' scratched the surface of that game. Those games were insane! ...and awesome!

7. Psiufoxx

Psiufoxx Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    sustainability consulting
    paris (yeah, the one in france)
    Game. Purchased. In my face.

8. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    This needs left hand support, when I go to the armour menu, I cover the screen info with my left hand dragging items to the right side of the screen!! View ingest drop menus. On iPod touch 5

9. ProgPariah77

ProgPariah77 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    I must admit that I'm curious about this game. Can anyone tell me how it is superior to "The Quest"? It looks very much like that one to me ...

10. Bowflexman

Bowflexman Well-Known Member

May 9, 2011
    Just finished the bandit quest as a human for that dude I found in the forest, confused on where to go next! This game is incredible!

11. Eidaven

Sep 16, 2012
    I found that there really isn't a set direction on where to go. The games pretty open as far as what order you do the quests in. Just wander around until you find the next town.

12. punch.rockgroin

punch.rockgroin Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    The lack of strafing really kills the experience for me. I keep opening the map/inventory by accident, and it happens so often that I just can't see myself playing this game again, it's just too frustrating.

13. LavaLevel

LavaLevel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    game developer
    Houston Texas
    Version 1.1 Submitted to Apple - Expedited Review Requested !

Really hope that gets out soon.

I've been so swamped, non stop! Your enthusiasm has made this huge journey so worth it!!! (gotta check out quest, I love the fact that my game always brings up other cool crawlers. Feel like I've joined an exclusive club!)

If you really want to get a handle on where to go
    Play as all the races to find their starter towns. There is a critical junction point where they all meet.

Also if you get the portal spell, you can use that to return super quickly to other places you have set as your shrine. And/or as a handy escape mechanism.

Thank ALL of you for your enthusiasm! more to come soon!

14. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    #154 bramblett05, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    How do I select spells? Ok found out how but with teleport how do I select a place to go?

15. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010

I believe you must first give an offering to a shrine. These shrines look
    like a female warrior. Once the offering, such as food is dropped
    and accepted, you will return to the shrine using the teleport spell.

16. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    I offered to a couple of shrines but only to go to last one is kinda blah

17. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    You do have a good point there. If Eric implements the ability to use a portal to
    appear at areas already explored, that would be pretty cool! I really did not get a chance to play with magic much when I helped with the testing.

18. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #158 undeadcow, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    Initially I thought teleport should be stronger with more destinations but the more I think about it the more I wonder if that would break the game. One man's "kinda blah" is another's strategic. If you could just immediately land anywhere you wanted it would de-emphasize the exploration and open world dynamic that makes QuestLord fun (and perhaps be too powerful). In QuestLord it is less likely that you will be doing a lot of backtracking unless you leave chunks of the game unexplored. Also it's traditional that teleport spells require you mark a destination (speaking of The Quest, that's how they do it).

Also; you can use teleport spell as a barrier to block heavy attack by casting portal as a defensive wall.

19. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Well at least teleport to each shrine would be cool :)

20. Eidaven

Sep 16, 2012
    That's weird. I haven't had that problem. I've been playing for a couple days so far and haven't done that once. What device are you playing on?