Universal QuestLord (by Lava Level)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by LavaLevel, Feb 8, 2013.

1. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Just bought the game and can hardly wait to play this release.
    I helped test the game and had a blast playing it!
    This is a real gem of a game !

Congratulations on the launch Eric!

Now I'm off to slay me some deadly dungeon beasties. Don't wait up.
    I have have lots of adventuring to do!

2. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Well, I will ask the obvious. How does it compare to The Quest? Or would a better comparison be a Might and Magic (pre-6) game? Both have plenty of side-quests; The Quest is more like a turn-based Morrowind though.

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Dear App Store,

Can we please have another lockdown?

Sincerely,

MC's wallet, "Wallet"

4. LavaLevel

LavaLevel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    game developer
    Houston Texas
    #45 LavaLevel, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
    Thanks Guys!

Yes

It takes me anywhere from 4-6 hours to win all quests, however I made the game. I move around 10x faster than the AWESOME video above. One of my testers finished it 16 hours, but I had to point him in the right direction at one crucial juncture he couldn't figure out. (I was mainly just concerned with if this build was 'winnable - Quest18'. Plus with QuickGame you can play for a long time. And there will be new updates with new monsters and modifications to that part of the game, further enhancing value for your 1.99 purchase$

I am also working VERY hard to make all updates work with your current game you have going. A patch system.

My sincere apologies for anything I am doing wrong. This is my first release and unfortunately I might let some things slip through the cracks with details after coding, designing, scripting, pixeling, animating, Marketing, etc.Please let me make this a better product for you so you feel you are getting your hard earned $1.99 worth. I can't really do the 'wouldn't it be neat if' ideas at this stage, but anything else I will get onto promptly with updates.

Text noted, I actually have 99.9% of that fixed and ready for current update (.1% for human error, I am very dyslexic especially @4am)

Tap them to view(identify) them. Or use the Talk button (lines representing text next to health bars) to talk to them, OR swipe them. You don't need to swipe far to register a swipe.

IAP is kind of a double edge sword. Personally I would rather provide you with the enjoyment for 1 payout. This is also why I created QuickGame so that you could get the feel of a player with all the spells, or with heavy weapons and armor. But if there is demand, I will investigate it.

I want to thank everyone for your awesome comments and support. That video is really cool! I will do my best to address any issues you have and I am currently in the process of wrapping up my first update v.1.1.

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #46 metalcasket, Feb 9, 2013
    The icon's definitely retina enabled. On that subject, LavaLevel...is there any chance you're gonna update the iPad graphics to retina? While all the text is crystal clear, those pixels are incredibly blurry.

Fantastic game though. :)

Also, dear God...can we please leave a handful of games IAP-free on the App Store?

6. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    2 things:

1. Replay value? Is there like a new game+?

2. Battery drain?

Thanks. :)

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #48 Vovin, Feb 9, 2013
    YES! Instabought and playing. I love it. Perfect old-school graphics and sounds, open world concept, interesting and cool UI. And even a rogue-like endless game built in.

Congrats, Eric, well done!

Hey guys, let's help out Eric and get that grammar right. Just report to him when you find typo's / spelling errors.

8. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Is this an original game or a re-release?

9. LavaLevel

Jul 6, 2012
    game developer
    Houston Texas
    #50 LavaLevel, Feb 9, 2013
    haha,. eeek!!! Can we wait until AFTER the first update? It would be less exhausting for everyone reporting so much that has already been addressed. get it after it has been addressed. And a TON has been addressed. Actually the whole dialogue completely got a complete scrubbing, and somewhere between the translation service and me doing an update, it restored itself to how it was at beta. So I had to get my fiance and a friend to do another pass at correcting the Beta(rough draft which shipped. :/) So please sit tight and ill have it right out. :D

Some things you are just going to have to live with. The spellbook (1 word version) is a thing in the land of the Shattered Realm and it is a lower cased thing. That's the wizard Throzdin's fault, you will have to seek out more explanations about him in the game. QuestLord, UndeadLord, QuadChamber, ValKin anything Capital Camel Cased (code term) is that way because I wanted it that way.

And there is a TON of text in the game.

Each race you start as puts the player in a different starter location. Gives the game 3 unique feelings of playing with each race. Balanced it so that entering another races starter area isn't 'easy' if that wasn't your starter area.

QuickGame. QuickGame is a Rogue-Like that creates a random dungeon for the player to get through. Super fun with GameCenter Leaderboards. You will die. I will be adding more creatures and environs in future updates to satisfy my rogue-like creating urges so that's where a lot of the replay value is if you blast through the 16 hour quest game.

I've drained batteries based on the fact that some people say that they got so into it they played for many hours straight. I didn't do battery tests, but noticed no complaints.

It's original.
    Since I was going for the 'style' of a classic, SUCCESS!

10. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Ok... guess you'll have enough to do right now. Sorry for that. ;)

I'm doing a Twitter / facebook shoutout for the game now.

11. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Eric are u the only one who worked on the game? did you have anyone to help you with music or story or any other thing like That?

http://lavalevel.blogspot.com/

12. kukulcan

kukulcan Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Congrats on the release :)

Bought it but not sure if I will play it, usually I refuse to play games like this without sidestep buttons.

Also, I hate holding my iPad in portrait mode, I would take a landscape mode that just uses the left or right half of the screen for the game - using the other half for always open Map & inventory would of course be great.

13. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Ok what's the point of statues? I was in the forest I ran into it then touched it but died and started back at the town again.

14. LavaLevel

Jul 6, 2012
    game developer
    Houston Texas
  15. roorooroo

roorooroo Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Looks very interesting this one..are there any puzzles in the game? (like Dungeon Master)

Thanks.

16. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    #57 grits, Feb 9, 2013
    I'm playing on the iPad and it is blurry, however I don't mind so much. I am very curious though if you are going to do a high-res version. Any plans for that?

So far this game is very fun. I don't mind not having a sidestep too much. That's because the controls are so fast. You can move incredibly quickly so turning is not that big of a deal.

Couple things I would like to see. Automatically pick up items, high res graphics, sidestep. Also it would be nice to simply Press and hold an item to see its stats and compare them to the equipped weapon or armor that you have on currently. Optimize so that the map opens faster.

Anyway, just nitpicking. Congrats on releasing the game. Hope it does well!

17. LavaLevel

Jul 6, 2012
    game developer
    Houston Texas
    There are some but not many. You're not going to be pulling levers and what not such as Grimrock. I went for more of a travel and explore wide terrain type of game. While I borrowed elements here and there from the classics, I didn't want to copy a direct formula.

18. LavaLevel

Jul 6, 2012
    game developer
    Houston Texas
    Great! Since I am going so low rez on my pixel area view port, ( the main viewing window is 80x68 !) Using bilinear filtering to make it a little more soft is actually best. I felt it was best with my ipad for the environment to be that way after seeing it for long periods of time with hard edges. Static hard edges are a different story. But the background moves a lot. You will notice I do a combination of both though, like when you go to your inventory for the objects. But those objects aren't blazing past you constantly in the viewport.

Cool! I was actually expecting a ton of blow back from that. I wanted to take my Dungeon Crawler to a time before Dungeon Master actually. More like the dungeons of Ultima 1-3, Akalabeth, and Alternate Reality with the controls.

OK! Get at me anytime with feedback! Thanks for that and the support! Means a lot to me and I hope you enjoy QuestLord.

19. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Yesterday finding teddy,today this? Oh boy oh boy! (Dances around like a little kid in a pixelated candy store)