Universal QuestLord (by Lava Level)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by LavaLevel, Feb 8, 2013.

1. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
  2. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Those free games are those the dev gave up on upgrading to 64 buts?

3. LavaLevel

LavaLevel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    game developer
    Houston Texas
    #463 LavaLevel, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    The Free QuestLord iOS

Hey guys/gals,

So I came to a pretty easy but hard choice early summer with QuestLord and QuestLord 2. Two choices, 1)Stop production on QuestLord 2 and do the necessary rewrites to get QuestLord 1 up, while losing time on QuestLord 2. Or 2)just continue focus on QuestLord 2 to get it finished and take the bite on whatever happens with iOS. I chose 2, but I think for good reason.

So in doing so, earlier this month, I decided that it wouldn't be fair to charge for an app that was going to be rendered unconscious for a long period of time.

For every iOS user that purchased the app at 1.99 or .99, I want to extend a sincere THANK YOU for supporting my game.

Now some people in today's 'gotta have it now' culture might wonder "What the heck, this is taking forever!!! Why?!?!"

Well.. yeah. It is. And simply 'life' is the reason why. My case is not a standard development case. I am still solo, but I also hit a period of time in my older life where personal adult issues brought production to an entire halt for months. Whether it was getting married, or my elders having illnesses, losing a parent after being their care giver, financial bumps, huge flooding hurricanes (I live in Houston after all) so many things have been thrown my way...

But I try to be different than most. If my business model is bad, if my sales are bad, if a feature sucks... I try to learn from it, get up and dust the dirt off my pants and continue. I am an old style artist that believes life suffering just makes for more paint and expression on my canvas of work. This is basically the ethos of QuestLord. (Especially when you fight those Bah-Lorns.:D )

I'm not going to stop. I've been making games professionally since 1988 on the Atari ST. I've made arcade Coin-Op games, PC games, Gameboy games, Playstation, XBox One, heck even Dreamcast! blah blah, but it is what I have been doing all my life. So ...

QuestLord 2 continues!!!

Infact, QuestLord 2 has been in beta for months and is really getting close to ready. And that upcoming games post on Touch Arcade should be coming in the next few days as I wrap up my video.

I really want to thank everyone on Touch Arcade Forums for the years of support and fans. Out of all my projects, this has been the most personal to me and most rewarding emotionally. Getting Fan art from Morocco to Japan keeps me going yet, keeps my responsibilities humble. I know I need to be of better service to my fans with upgrades and I plan to.

As far as learning how to be better, I have designed QuestLord 2 to be much more updateable, even to the point where I can do it seasonally for at least up to 8 seasons. I have worked extra hard to have the first update with extra bonus content ready on launch so I can be ahead a bit. But more on QuestLord 2 in its upcoming thread.

If you wish to see sneaky peeks before the TA thread goes up you can at the QuestLord Facebook Page here.

Thanks again!

Onward to QuestLord 2!!!
    ⚔️

Zghying likes this.
  4. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    QL2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm SUPER excited for this one.

5. korossyl

Oct 10, 2013
    On a related note: is there any chance of QL ever seeing a PC release?

6. mdthielen77

mdthielen77 Member

Jul 7, 2013
    This is a great game! I just recently started playing it, and I really enjoy it. One comment is that towards the beginning of the game, money is very scarce, and it's not always possible to grind for some cash (unless I am missing something). I started out as an elf. Am I missing something or can you make it possible to grind for cash in the sequel?

7. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I've been meaning to play QL1 but never got around to it. Maybe I'll get it on Android, then.

8. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Hey great to hear on QuestLord 2 being close to completion I can't wait to play!

I def hear you on the struggles on indie Dev my current project has been delayed a bit too. Most of us are never going to make a real profit from these games it's more about the joy of creating them and seeing people enjoy them.

9. LavaLevel

Jul 6, 2012
    game developer
    Houston Texas
    Thanks Touchmint! I too am super excited! I really hope you like it!
    TVOS is probably next after release! Followed with Amazon and Google TV services. I really think I can get it running with that since I have isolated the UI elements into tables to be redrawn. (but mobile phone will stay portrait mode, it just plays better that way since it was originally designed for phones.) PC will be determined on how well I do with mobile, so let's hope I hit the mark!
    ⚔️

Awesome mdthielen77!!! Yes, the economy of QuestLord was very much in a state of depression since the Shatterer of Realms, Lord Drowsk unleashed his chaos. There is actually ways to grind for cash but not many in QuestLord 1. The Bandits for instance near the human starter area are a good source. There is also a 'cheat' in the elf starter area if you are still there you can DM me and I'll let you know about it.

In QuestLord 2 the economy is much larger and fluid. There are more grinding/farm areas for those that are into that. Also there are ways to craft objects into newer objects of much greater value, not only for the player but also in $ value to the NPCs who buy them. However, sell to much to an NPC and they can go broke for a period of time spending on your goods! But eventually, in time, they regain their finances if you oversell to them. (There is also a system of time in QL2 !)

Also many things that are just much better in QuestLord 2, such as Shrines now are auto-activated. You also can jump to any shrine you previously discovered after dying vs only the last one you left food at! Things like this and Strafe make it so much more of an enjoyable game! Can't wait to show you soooooooooon!
    ⚔️

Thank you so much DaviddesJ !! It still sells rather well on Android at standard price which is currently keeping me running. So your support is so much appreciated! I hope you like it, it is a very very early taste of what to expect from QuestLord 2. QuestLord 1 is rather difficult as you have to seek out your resurrection spot and drop food off at it (the shrines). That was rather brutal on many players. Plus QuestLord2 has strafing and much more!
    ⚔️

Touchmint Fantastic! trust me, I can't wait until you can play it either! # Having a strong Android seller really is helping the iOS fans more than they realize at this point so it's not all bad profit wise. But this time around I will be able to do a much better job upgrading for iOS users than I was able to do previously. And yeah, having a game where I can directly interact with my customers is so much better than making games from an assembly line as just an anonymous cog in the wheel of a greater machine. It really is a joy to run the entire machine! And interacting with the appreciative users is the oil that keeps that running!
    ⚔️

10. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Bought on my Android phone. I need to get a new phone though, probably won't play it until I do.

11. LavaLevel

Jul 6, 2012
    game developer
    Houston Texas
    Awesome! Well get at me if you need any help!

12. mdthielen77

mdthielen77 Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Thanks LavaLevel! I've finally reached a point where I'm not struggling for money any more after finding a spot in the area with the Dwarves and Goblins to grind for some money to improve my gear.

QuestLord 2 sounds like it is going to be great!

13. korossyl

Oct 10, 2013
    The possibility for PC's exciting, because I'm realizing as never before how transitory iOS is -- case in point, QL1.

But either way, getting REALLY pumped for QL2. It's really hard for me to get into new games, and most of what I play on iOS is remakes of games I played 10-20 years ago. QL bucks that trend; there's something really special here, and it deserves this sequal, and many others.

14. korossyl

Oct 10, 2013
    Just started a new game of QL. I know this world backwards and forwards, and the palpable feeling of exploration STILL thrills me. Won't upgrade iOS until this is patched -- or the sequel arrives!

15. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
  16. Truncana

Truncana Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2013
  17. Truncana

Mar 18, 2013
  18. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    Already had it, but once deleted I reinstalled it today after the update!

19. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I have the original saved on my old iPad 3 with iOS 9.
    I just installed this new version on my iPad Pro 12.9” and my iPhone 8 Plus.

Nice to be able to play this on my phone because this is definitely a game where the smaller the screen size, the better the graphics. o_O

20. Truncana

Mar 18, 2013
    Hi! I was playing the game, I was in the Norrab slums fighting some rogues but I was defeated. After died I awoke in Kyre again... how I can reach Norrab? I forgot the way I need to follow. Please help!