Question to the developpers. (about translator's job)

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by SMN, Apr 11, 2009.

1. SMN

SMN Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    #1 SMN, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
    Hello developers,

Let me introduce myself first,
    I am a French 19 years old iPhone gamer, writing some reviews and news for playonTouch.com which is a french blog.

Here is the point, my english is far to be perfect (as you can see trough these lines) but French people (as we all know) suck a lot in english, and I saw lot of comment in the french AppStore which were like "all in english, need french version!!!".

Then a question came up to my mind, why developers don't look for translators?
    I mean I don't think I could handle a 20k words game with a real big story, but there are lot of game which are very easy to translate.
    For exemple I wouldn't translate a game like Galaxy On Fire because it takes lot of time to translate the entire story and would ask some more skills.
    On the other hand, a game like Trism with a tutorial and menus, don't require an insane knowledge.

Well, in two words, would I be useful?
    Thank's for replying,
    Best regards Mr. Dev.

2. Joooe

Joooe Member

Dec 21, 2008
    You say your English isn't perfect...
    But it is very good :)

I'm sure someone could make use of your skills.

3. SMN

SMN Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Thank's a lot Joooe ;) I wish you were a Developer

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

SMN is making a French translation for Realmaze3D, and the App Store description too. My French is minimal at best, but it looks great to me, and he's doing a very thorough job.

Speaking for myself, I didn't have anything other than English at first because the US is easily the biggest market right now, and I wasn't sure if there would be enough interest to warrant any translations. But now that I know there is, it seems worthwhile. The only problem is that my game is 3D and I have to use bitmap fonts, which makes something like Japanese somewhat difficult. But at least I can have languages that use the Latin alphabet without much problem.

--Eric

5. Try This

Try This Member

We had a couple of friends translate our App Store description for Mini Touch Golf into French and Spanish. After 3 months, we haven't really seen a difference, but that could easily be due to several different factors.

For small guys like us, it only makes sense to translate our game if it becomes a medium hit. For now, we spend our time trying to make a game that's a medium hit. :)

6. SMN

SMN Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    #6 SMN, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
    Thank's Eric!

If there are any of you interested, I won't charge at all, so let me know. ;)

7. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    We should be releasing our Sparta: Lords of War game by the end of April and we may be interested in a French translation. Send me a PM if you are interested.

8. DYS_Translations

Nov 4, 2008
    Dear SMN,

actually there are many developers that require a proper translation.
    That's why we had to set up a translation team of professionals focused on the App Store applications' localisations.

The reason why some of them didn't translate their apps into other languages is because it wasn't worth to invest some money on this.
    Well, that's why we are offering our services for a very affordable price.

It's still understandable if some of them are a bit hesitating to invest in a professional service and, in that case, some people like you are providing their help for free, and that's a really positive thing.

It's just sad that some companies keep using automatic translators for some of their great games.

I recently purchased a very polished game and "LAST LAP" has been translated into Italian as "LAST PREGNANT".

I encourage all the devs to translate their apps using SMN's services or DYS's. :)

Have a nice day,
    Danilo.

9. gfather

gfather Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Well i agree with DYS

What are you doing is very good , and maybe you will be able to open your own company

I wish you all the luck :)

10. SMN

SMN Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    #10 SMN, Apr 12, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
    Thank's for replying everyone :)
    I contacted you Mr Jones.

By the way, DYS I checked your website, great work, you did some amazing work on Galaxy On Fire (I tried the french version, couldn't know it has been made by you)

About the charge you ask, could I have an idea for a HUGE work like galaxy's game?
    (just by curiosity, I don't plan to translate so much yet)

Anyway if you are looking for someone motivated and french ;p you can still try me out!

11. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    SMN, your english is better than most Americans.

12. SMN

SMN Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    I am going to feel uneasy with this thread :D

Anyway I wanted to say a big thanks to House (gregory<3) who's been teaching me english for 4years now :D

P.S.:
    I missed some episodes, currently at number 13 (yeah yeah Thirteen of Foreteen XD), still hoping House will flirt with Cuddy..:'(

13. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Since the App Store description for Realmaze3D was translated by SMN into French, the sales in France went up 300% yesterday. Sales overall have been going up anyway (actually got into the top 100 games overall in the US store amazingly enough), but not by 300%, so I would say the translation definitely helped. It might help even more when the update, with French text in the game, is available.

--Eric

14. conrem

conrem Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    developer + student at medicine
    Moldova
    contact me please

15. SMN

SMN Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    #15 SMN, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
    Wow Eric, I'm glad to hear that :D
    I am not sure your 300% is because of me but if I helped congrats ;) now you gotta give me 10% of what you've earned, about 1million $ ;D

Conrem, I contacted you by the way.

16. themendoz

themendoz Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Well, if you need a Spanish translator, let me know. If there isn't too much text, I could be able to help out, at least with the app store descriptions if not more.

17. SMN

SMN Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Hehe we should make a company Themendoz, let's charge 10€ per 1000words :D

18. SMN

SMN Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    #18 SMN, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
    forget it :x