Question for Beta testing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Dio, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    What should I do if I want to become one?

2. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Well there's a great site called iBetaTest.com. It's in beta atm but things should pick up

3. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Talk to developers. If you see a thread on here about a game in development, you might email the developer and ask them if they need any beta testers. From my limited experience so far, it's a lot bigger of a pain to beta test for iDevices than it is for say Palm or Windows Mobile. There's a special file that needs to be installed on your device that tells iTunes that it's okay for you to have that application even though you didn't get it from the App Store, and I've heard that the file is not easy to update (not sure of the validity of that or not). The biggest thing is going to be in convincing a developer that you'll be of some use to them during the beta testing process.

4. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    #4 Dio, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
    Thanks for the response, but any idea what this file is?

ALSO: what if i just want to review apps, any idea on any sites who'd like that? Or how to get anyone's attention?

5. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

You have to have one made special for each and every app. Its a mobileprovision. You don't. You just write reviews, put it in your sig, make a twitter, and get people to follow you. Do anything you can to get attention to your blog with reviews.

6. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    You can email the administrators of different web sites that publish reviews and see if they need any writers. If you've never written a review, however, chances are they won't be interested. You should probably start a blog, post reviews as blog entries, and put the blog in your signature. Like brewstermax said, getting a twitter account is a good idea as well. A couple of weeks ago I would have thought that ridiculous, but mine has already gotten me noticed by a few people. The biggest obstacle that you're going to run into is that if you want to write reviews for the sake of getting free games, you're probably out of luck. Because Apple is "kind" enough to give developers only 50 promo codes, the developers are pretty stingy with who they pass them out to (unless they use them for contests and such, which is good PR for them). I'm not saying this is your motive, I'm just warning you in case it is.

7. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    oh yeah, thanks for the heads up. But no, i don't want to just for free games, i just love the idea of reviewing the apps, to warn others, or to promote it and help out the devs.

However, i'm a bit hesitant to even bother with reviews cause i fear my writing skills are not good enough for that, that's why i was just wondering about beta testers because i assumed that beta testers didn't write as much, but they did just point out certain things.

8. brewstermax

Beta testing and writing reviews are very different things. I do both, and they are nothing alike. Anyone can write reviews. It takes time and experience to beta test. You need a repertoire of apps that you have tested, and it is hard to get to do. I have tested numerous apps, about 15 actually, and doing that and reviewing are different beasts. For one, beta testing is far more demanding to be a good tester. You have to be keen out for any and all bugs, and have a hot screenshot finger to capture the issue. Then you do have to give a writeup. Not trying to discourage, go out and see if you can test, and write a sample review. I could let you co-write for my blog even. :)

9. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    50 codes is a ton!! devs get 50 with each update so they could just have "bug fixes" or change the icon if they really need fifty more.

10. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Do you have a link to your blog so i can check it out? I'd be glad to join or help in any way.

11. brewstermax

In the sig. I don't mind. obsessedwithapple.blogspot.com

Email or PM me, and I'll get back to you as soon as I get it. If you're interested.

12. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Sounds good, I just PM you.

13. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I didn't realize it was 50 for every update. I thought it was just 50 for an application. I guess that's a lot better, as long as devs keep making revisions to their apps :D

As for writing reviews, it is true that they are not as demanding as beta testing, and it's also true that anyone can write a review. However, just because someone can jot down a few notes in a blog doesn't mean it's good, helpful or useful. You need to be articulate, and hopefully you are able to explain with enough detail what is good and bad about the product so that a potential buyer can make an informed decision.

Where beta testing is concerned, it can be a very intense process. You have to be willing to "think outside the box" so to speak, and try things that you wouldn't normally do in a game if you were playing it just to beat it. There's also the potential that you'll have to restart a game several times, even if you're half way or three quarters of the way through. In addition to screen captures (if possible / applicable), you have to often give detailed descriptions of how you got the crash (again, not always possible, but as best you can). Also, depending on the size of the game, it can be quite a time commitment.

The up side of beta testing or reviewing is that if you do a good job at it, you'll have life long friends with the developers (assuming the developers are worth anything). Of course, if you trash a game in your review the developers might not like you so much, but as long as the review is well worded and very explicit about what the problems are, the best developers will thank you for the criticism and try to learn from it. I've had a couple of developers re-think certain parts of their games due to my reviews in the past, which is actually a very satisfying feeling.

The main thing is to have fun. It's not a job, so if you're not having fun then it's not for you. Good luck, and whether you decide to post on brewstermax's blog or somewhere else, be sure to include it in your sig so we can check it out!

14. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I'm a beta tester and review since 2008, beta testing is where you get the game pre release and hunt bugs gltichs and give feedback.

Writeing reviews is something totaly different, you get that app (by promo code,ad hoc, or buy that app) and writer a user review on your website.

Heres mine:

http://www.ipodtouchapptester.webs.com

15. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Yea, i beta test and write reviews also, but beta testing is a whole another beast then writing reviews. When you write a review you are just stating your opionon on the game, but when you are b eta testing you have to try anything and everything you can think of to try to find a bug. You have to play the game alot more then you would normally because you have to find bugs. So heres a multiple choice, if you like writing and have alot of opionons, then reviewing is for you, but if you can find bugs and are willing to devote alot of time to something, then go with beta testing. Or if you are really bored, do both. oh and dont worry, your reviews and your beta-testing might not be good right away, but with some pratice, a little bit of advertising, and some other stuff(PM me if u want to kno), your site and/or reviews can be super succesfull. So yea there you go.
    but there is ONE MORE THING, its alot easier if you do it with a partner.
    (btw, pablo and my review site is in my sig)