Question about Mobile Data usage with online only games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shiatama_0, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Shiatama_0

Shiatama_0 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Hi,

I recently got my first iphone and i have a question about the amount of mobile data these games use.

I played a few games which are online only games, but when i check the data used over the internet (not wifi!) the amount is like really small like 200kb or 1 or 2 MB for a session of 15min play. Is this normal?

Is the data count in ios8 accurate, can i be 99.99% :) sure that is really the amount used? I don't use icloud.

I only got the iphone a fews days ago, so i can't check yet on the bill/statement before next month from my provider.

Thanks in advance for your help,

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Depending on the app, the "online only" requirement only checks that your copy of the game is valid and hasn't been tampered with. Often they don't send or receive much data, so the amount you're seeing could very well be correct.

But as always, to be on the safe side, you should double check with your internet provider when you can.

3. NewDawnSoft

NewDawnSoft Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Developer
    France
    Online games don't send much data. Devs have to care to do so, if they don't their servers would be quickly down... The numbers you give are pretty normal.

You can keep playing without checking your data usage :)

4. Shiatama_0

Shiatama_0 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Thanks Echoseven and NewDawnSoft for your feedback!
    Now i can enjoy playing whitout having to worry :)

5. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    could this small amount be true for all games? action (dead trigger 2, unlimited spiderman) base building (any coc clone) rpgs, card (hearthstone) and others (seabeard)?

if this is true, it could change my opinion about "online only" games, since i could play them even with my meager 120 mb/month limit

6. NewDawnSoft

NewDawnSoft Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Developer
    France
    #6 NewDawnSoft, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    120 mb/month is pretty low. I should say that depends of the game plus the number of hours you spend each month on that game. Why don't you try a game for let's say 1 hour, grab the data usage and extrapolate it to a month of playing it ?

Not sure hearthstone is a data limit breaker, not many orders/packets to send and receive to/from the servers.
    MMORPGs / hack'n slash may use some data (repeated move packets, actions) on the long run but not that much.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah 120 mb is very low, i wouldnt risk playing many online games at all if i'm out. Nowadays theres quite a few 'hot spots' to use for free internet

My old phone had a 3 GB a month limit, now i've gone for unlimited as i tend to do a lot on my phone when i'm away, as its unlimited i obviously dont care how much i use now.