Universal Quest of Dungeons (by David Amador)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    Ha! A bat just flew into a bear trap and it killed him.

It's the little things that make me happy. :)

I adore RLs, and I've been playing this for hours and hours since it was released.

It's very engaging. The movement is quick and smooth, which is important to me. The humor is great--I've been grinning to myself a lot.

I agree that stacking of key types would be a wonderful thing.

I did notice a few grammatical errors in the text, including one on the death screen. I can't remember what it is, but next time I die I'll make sure to note it and post it.

I have 2 wishes besides key stacking.

1.) I'm female and I really like having the option of playing a female character. While I'm cool with being a guy for a few hours, being able to play a female character makes a game even more engaging for me.

2.) I wonder if it might be possible to add a character graveyard as a final screen? You know, a list of your adventurers, what level they died on, maybe how they died. I like the detail that you currently show for the most recent character, I just think it's really fun to see a roster of past heroes.

This is a really, really fun game and I'm glad I purchased it.

And now I must return to the slaughter. :)

2. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    i thought this was endless, but I guess its not , so how long is it? and how is there leaderboards if there is a end?

3. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I agree. But what I do is swipe when I enter rooms so I move slowly until it's cleared.

4. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    I finished the game by beating (heh, barely) a boss and finding the lantern on dungeon level 7. It ends with the stats summary page immediately after you acquire the lantern. I was playing the "easier" setting. Now I'm playing it on "normal" and we shall see how that goes. I'm still having loads of fun.

5. Gage_L

Gage_L New Member

Feb 10, 2014
    What is the purpose of collecting gold? I haven't come across a store or anything to use it on, am I missing something?

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    100% agreed. For the second time in a row I made it to floor 7 only to have a misinterpreted tap make me take half a dozen steps to the Mage boss who fries and kills me as I walk to him. Combine that with the balance issues mentioned by ScotDamn this game is going in my "Wait For Update" folder.

7. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Yeah, look for a fella in a cloak with two torches by his side. Should be one on each level.

8. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Even with the existence of a shopkeeper, there isn't much of a purpose with gold so plentiful. Before long I had enough to buy the entire dungeon, plus the stuff that dropped was better than what the shopkeeper sold 90% of the time.

9. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Fanstastic game !!! I can't even play any other since this one was installed on my device !!! David you're the best !

10. TrencH

TrencH Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Mar 29, 2013
    Keyring please!

Attached Files:

11. dominici

dominici Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Librarian
    Australia
    Agree that the game is fun except for two things (already mentioned in the thread):
    1. The need for stackable keys
    2. Issue: as an archer, when shooting all too often the screen interprets this as a move and suddenly I'm next to a boss! Died too many times in this way!

12. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    #72 Solarclipse, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    Ditto on the archers arrow vs movement. It would be great iif any of the 8 squares surrounding an enemy were interpreted as an attack or something. I appreciate not having a separate movement key but that might be best anyway.

Playing the shaman, the spell selectin drop down is really a setback as you need more of his skills to survive. It is just to cumbersome to access everything you need. Having two skill on hot buttons would help a lot, or a picture only menu where scrolling is not necessary at all, iPhone or iPad.

One bug for the shaman: I picked up two books and, one was a sword skill and the other was a essence steal or something. But I never got the sword skill, and then all the books I found said I already knew all the skills. This was disappointing because the shaman really needs all those skills.

Playing as an assassin on level 7 I got 1hit killed by a knight which surprised me as everything else was doing only 4 or 5 damage. Just a warning for you!

I wonder if the Mage is overpowered. Teleporting away and unleashing magic that. An potentially freeze an enemy is a devastating combo! Comparatively, the shaman seems pretty weak. I hope his summon gets stronger. Which brings me to another annoyance: when you have a summon it is very difficult to move around because it keeps getting in the way.

So all in all, I would say avoid the shaman until these things are remedied.

13. ^DJ_Link^

^DJ_Link^ Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Programmer
    Portugal
    Hi everyone.
    This has been one crazy week. I'm extremely humbled by all the feedback and positive response over Quest of Dungeons. You guys rock.

I've been working on trying to fix bugs/issues as fast as I can (I have a day job too :p), managing the Steam and iOS release has proved quite challenging but I think I've done ok.

I've released several fixes for Steam (many PC/Mac only related issues) but some that are generic to gameplay so they need to be on the iOS version. Unfortunately the patch is still waiting for Apple to approve it, there's nothing I can do to speed it. The patch I sent compiles all fixed I made so far.
    I just hope I didn't introduced any more bugs :p since the Apple approval cycle is very long.

That said I'll keep working on polishing more stuff that still needs that "extra wax", until then :)

14. TrencH

TrencH Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Mar 29, 2013
    #74 TrencH, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    Thank you!

Been enjoying this game. Was using the vendor shops and rooms near him to store all my stuff. Stackable keys are awesome.

It would be nice to see more levels and more monsters. Wanting more of what was created should not come as unsatified but flattery for wanting the dungeon exploring to keep going.

Archer is my favorite so far. I don't use the magic/abilities as much as I should but I love ranged attacks. The tweaks increased the difficulty a little but as much grumbling as I did I will admit it needed it. I thought I was going to play to the end then go on to something else but I admit I am a little addicted to it and the pacing is great.

Thanks again!

15. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    I'm glad and sad in the same time to have finished this wonderful game with the archer !

Need more levels ! It's so sweet ! Hope an update is on the way !

16. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I just started playing this today, it's the second game of this genre I've tried, the other being wayward souls, I'm not that far into this yet and while it kind of reminds me of wayward it's different. I love the graphics, gameplay and control system, I think I'm gonna enjoy this one more and look forward to getting deeper into the game. Because I was lucky enough to get a code I'll be gifting to my nephew to show support. Thank you.

17. ^DJ_Link^

Aug 7, 2010
    Programmer
    Portugal
    Hi everyone. Developer of QoD here.

I've been a bit off lately but that's only because I've been working hard on getting some cool new stuff to the game.

The game was released 4 months ago (March 25th), and in that time I managed to fix a lot of stuff and even some new features in some of the updates.

Now I'm working an a bigger update, let's call it an expansion. It will feature a whole new dungeon, with different tilesets and enemies. Also lots of tweaks anf fixes and even some new features like when you die there's a chance you might encounter yourself as a "ghost" in a future run.

I have no ETA for this, but I just wanted to let you guys know of what I've been working, I've also been porting the game to Android so that takes some time too.

This expansion will be completely FREE for all current customers. No IPA's. I made that promise on launch and I intend to keep it.

However, depending on the amount of features and new content I might bring the prince of the app up a bit. So that way old customers get everything for free and new customers would just have to pay a bit more since it's a game with more content. I'm still unsure on this, so opinions are welcome.

Some of the new mobs: https://twitter.com/DJ_Link/status/480319560286228480

(screenshots from PC version, just to show some of the new stuff, WIP)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. LarryWP

LarryWP Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2013
    I have both the iPad and PC versions, love this game!

What did you use to code this with? Unity, cocos2d, Xamarin?

19. ^DJ_Link^

Aug 7, 2010
    Programmer
    Portugal
    I wonder why I never got a notification for this. Long overdue.
    I used my own engine made in C++ for all versions.

20. ^DJ_Link^

Aug 7, 2010
    Programmer
    Portugal
    Hey everyone. Long time no see. Dev here.
    Next week I'll be updating the iOS version with lots of fixes and a couple new things and also a new DLC (iAP) that a lot of people have been asking for.

This will mostly bring all opttimization from the console/pc port to iOS, so I'll reduce the list to
    Highlights:
    -Fixes some occasional visual artifacts problems with iPhone 6+
    -True support for 64-bit devices
    -Dead heroes can now return from the grave and attack you on a new Game (if you kill them you get all loot and weapons)
    -New neat main screen art, redrawn with a different style (picture in attach)
    -Enemies no longer destroy items automatically when stealing. Will now destroy over-time (turns).
    -Several game performance optimizations
    -Several memory leaks fixed
    ... more

Also because I kept getting questions about a DLC I present you

"Revenge of the Jelly King" ($0.99)
    -Added a whole new Dungeon "Rackan" (new floor sprites and enemies)
    -Added a Custom game Mode, you can choose amount of floors, floors size and difficulty (within some ranges), this will allow for players to custumize a quicker run or a longer, depending on the mood.
    -A new guest class, the NecroDancer from Crypts of the Necrodancer (video: https://vine.co/v/ilO01l3PwZJ)

For anyone who hasn't got the game, I'll let a inside info here, the base game will be on promotion next week, for a limited amount of days, starting the 18 October. So you can get the main game for $0.99 :)

Thank you all for the support and if you have questions feel free to ask

New main menu viewing on iPhone
    [​IMG]

Some screens on the iPad
    Necrodancer on New Rackan Mansion
    [​IMG]

Showing new modes of the DLC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]