Universal Quest of Dungeons (by David Amador)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 24, 2014.

1. NinjaKitteh

NinjaKitteh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2013
    #41 NinjaKitteh, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    I liked Oryx's sprites a few years back when they were new. Now that they're all over the place like a skeezy back-alley ho, I'm tired of them. I mean, even Mario's sprite changed every game. I think it's nice that someone put packs out there for people to use if they suck at art (Cthulhu knows I do) but if you put a little effort into contacting sprite artists, a lot of them are willing to make this stuff. Many times for free. In fact most of the sprite work for my RPGMaker game has been done by three different artists. I don't think a non-artist programmer should wrestle with the art side of things, but at this point the Oryx pack is becoming unoriginal, by definition, as everyone is using them. And no, I'm not saying this game is unoriginal because of the art assets used, just that the Oryx packs themselves are by default at this point.

I would like to say this is an awesome game though. Controls work well, the pacing is great. I'd like to second that suggestion of key stacking as I too have been inundated with keys in my inventory. All in all this game real feels polished and incredibly fun. Keep up the good work!

2. Pickman

Pickman Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2013
    I love rogue-likes in general, this one is great so far. Music is amazing, controls are smooth and i really don't mind the sprite set as rogue-likes are never about graphics and all about mechanics.

3. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Looks very cute and sweet. My only question before push buy button is the following : any IAPs ?

4. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Since Sword of Fargoal 2 is nowhere near, I will get this one for another fix.

5. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Music is stuttering every 4 seconds on my ipad retina display :00000

6. Bowflexman

Bowflexman Well-Known Member

May 9, 2011
    A lot of fun. Very polished. Maybe a little bit too easy so far.

7. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Only played one game so far.
    I pulled myself away for a minute to post.
    Infinitely better than Red Wizard. I only compare the two because they both use the oryx sprite pack and released in the last week. Really, there is no comparison.

8. ^DJ_Link^

^DJ_Link^ Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Programmer
    Portugal
    That's is very weird, but does the game itself run smoothly all the time? Is it just a problem with the music? I had some people with retina ipads playing and they had no issues, even today a friend was playing on a retina one right next to me :S
    Try changing the "High performance" option in Settings to see if it helps (although it should run properly on default) Lastly see if restarting the device helps in any way.

9. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    This game is a real treat....thanks for highlighting it Pete. I love the hybrid real time/turn based gameplay. Well worth the 2 bucks.

10. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I hate to be the guy but there are some serious balance issues. It also seems to be quite messy in some areas like inventory management, and skill selection. I have so many keys, I don't think they all serve a purpose other than taking up space. Also the game seems much too easy. Before too long I had a near infinite amount of cash with nothing to spend it on and couldn't learn any more from books. It never seemed that enemies became more difficult as I went along. Also it seems that you can always just run from the enemy if you need a skill to recharge without consequence.

It feels like it has potential and I'll certainly keep an eye on this developer, but the state the games in now, it needs some balance adjustments for sure.

11. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Please! That would be great. There are so many types of keys, they take up most of my inventory.

I am currently playing a wizard and have all the skills it seems. Got about 400,000 easily. I am on normal difficulty but starting to wish it could be more challenging. It helps that there is a goal to reach....but it is starting to feel repetitive.

One other refinement to the skill menu is a third viewing option with just the symbols...or having a few quick buttons. I find I am changing skills as little as possible because I can power through with a ice in most situations. So there is also a strategy weakness so far.

Maybe the wizard is overpowered though. I haven't tried the others. Overall this is a pretty solid roguelike. I like the humor, the sounds, the controls. If you like this I highly recommend cardinal quest 2 as well, it's excellent.

12. gquiller

gquiller Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Just wanted to add my 2 cents and say that I'm really enjoying this. Thanks to the dev team. $2 well spent.

13. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    I'm having a lot of fun with this as well. I have one request, though: limit movement to 1 square at a time when enemies are on-screen (this could be an option). I've had far too many times where an errant tap sends my character scrambling past multiple enemies getting hit over and over along the way.

14. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Why adjust a perfectly functional mechanic of the game engine, just because you have butter-fingers?! Some of us LIKE to cross an empty room in one tap, instead of 6!!

15. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    So...what about this one makes it worth getting for a roguelike afficianado like myself? :)

16. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    If it was empty you wouldn't slow down at all as no enemies are nearby. Cavern uses that implementation and I think it helps, forcing you to think about what you're doing when enemies are nearby as well as protecting from errant taps. If it was added as an option it wouldn't affect anyone who prefers non-stop fast movement.

17. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Big RL fan here. Read my concerns on the previous page.

18. slothwerks

slothwerks Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

One suggestion (because Oryx pointed the same out to me when I was using his spritesheets); it's not as noticeable on the map/game screen but in the UI, you're using a scaling factor that really distorts the quality of the sprites. Pixel art should only be scaled in certain increments (100%, 200%, 300%, etc... ) to maintain square/equal sized pixels. I can point out screenshots if it would help.

Not a huge deal. Just a thought if you have time to clean up some of the UI stuff. It really would make things a lot more crisp :)

19. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Could you add a way to disable the cut-scenes at the beginning?

20. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Thanks David : I love your game ! And the cut scenes are great powered with humor ! Very a great rogue like !