Universal Quell Zen (by Fallen Tree Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jul 14, 2016.

1. scott997

scott997 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Do you have any hints about how to obtain these lower scores? I managed the other one in
    Recollection

2. rbates

rbates Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Most of them I found by accident while going for perfects. I would first find a solution and then repeat it, checking every move to see if there is a shorter way to do it. There are likely many other sub-perfect levels out there since I did not bother revisiting the ones I got perfect.

Some levels require timing-specific movements to get sub perfect. In particular
    Jumping the Gun and The Ladies Room

3. fallentreegames

fallentreegames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Mar 14, 2010
    Game Developers!
    UK
    Hi guys,

appreciate the interest in Quell Zen! Great to hear it's striking a chord with people. If anyone has any particular game-play tips or questions, as well as this thread, you are invited to post them over on our Facebook page, as we have a vibrant and helpful tribe of Quell fans eager to help.

4. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #24 y2kmp3, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    Fallen Tree Games,

I am pleased to hear from the developer that the game appears to be doing very well. I was a bit concerned initially about the game's reception given the relative lack of reviews posted on major gaming sites (for example, as of today, there are only two of four review score entries filled on Metacritic).

Indeed, as already described in some of the previous posts, there are levels which can be solved in fewer moves than prescribed by the game as par. Are these underpar solutions known to you before the game was released?

Also, am I correct that getting some of the gems will leave the player in an unrecoverable position so that it is NOT always possible to get the gem and finish the level at the same time? It has been a long time since I played Quell Memento. Unsure if this constraint is same in that game.

Lastly, I forgot the difference the regular and + version for previous Quell games. Will there be a Quell Zen+ version down the road?

5. joemoulding

joemoulding Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Programmer
    Nottingham
    Hey guys

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game!

No, we didn't know about these underpar solutions. We fixed up any that we found before release, but the community always manages to beat us! And that's fine, the "perfect" scores represent the best scores we could find, and we like that the best players can ever more optimal solutions.

Yes, finding the gems is pretty much separate from completing the level, and this was the case in Memento too.

The + means premium (as opposed to ad-supported), but we only have premium on iOS. You're right, it should have a + on for consistency.

I'm afraid not. Quell 1 & 2 use this mechanic, but in Memento we introduced the hidden portals to access secret levels instead. Quell Zen has a lot more of these than Memento (one in every stage, so 48), as well as the black hole levels so we felt there was a lot there already!

Hope this helps, and thanks for all the feedback :)
    Joe
    Fallen Tree Games

6. scott997

Jan 5, 2015
    #26 scott997, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    All the Pearls

So I've completed all the levels perfectly. Ya!! I've got 515 pearls out of 521 pearls. Where are these other 6 pearls hiding? How could I have completed a level without getting all the pearls?

I'm also missing the Nirvana (complete every chapter) and Zen Master (every chapter in perfect moves) achievements. Is there a hidden chapter?

Also, Once I get to Harmony Stage I, all the gems are black and white. It looks like the gems get through all the colors by that stage so B&W seems reasonable.

Thanks.

Love the game!

7. rbates

rbates Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I think the secret portal levels count toward your pearl count. Perhaps you missed one of those?

8. scott997

Jan 5, 2015
    After the update I have all the pearls. The update fixed all the issues.

9. infocynic

infocynic New Member

Jul 30, 2016
    I got a different level, but haven't been able to replicate two of those tricks from the big list yet.
    Tranquility: 327(?)/338
    1-4 Death Row: 12/19
    (I have not verified the trick in Ladies' Room; and no one on the Google leaderboards has either. 331/338 is doable, and if Ladies' Room can be done, that gives 327.)

I'm having trouble getting the Jewel in Tranquility 1-4; I know where it is, but I can't hit it 3 times (2 at most). Likewise, I can't get the Zen stone in Shell (access from Distant Hearts 1-2). Any tips for those?

10. rbates

rbates Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    #30 rbates, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Looks like someone got Tranquility down to 312 so there are quite a few shortcuts in there. Perhaps more are related to the Ladies Room trick:

This trick involves timing. The lower two drops are not required for completing it. You need to setup the gold drop in the vertical loop going up. From there setup the blue drop on the upper horizontal loop but time it so the block the gold one is pushing touches the blue drop. I think the blue drop loop is slower so you can start it early and it will catch it on the next pass.

Not certain about the other questions. I would need to try them again.

11. infocynic

infocynic New Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Got it. 327 for tranquility.

12. BlancChat

BlancChat New Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Update/Question to Better than perfect list

Can
    "Mind Over Matter" (2-4 of Barriers)
    really be done in less than 15 moves, or did you confuse the levels?
    Level 2-1 "Tower of London" (of Barriers) can be done in 21/22

13. scott997

Jan 5, 2015
    #33 scott997, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    I'm referring to the hidden level in "Mind Over Matter." That level is called "Sushi." It's moves goal is 17. I don't remember the number of moves I did it in now.
    Actually, I just re-played it and did it in 15 moves. One better than I had done in the past.

14. BlancChat

BlancChat New Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Update to Better than perfect list

Ah, sorry. I misunderstood that. Thanks for clarifying! I though these were two separate issues - the regular level plus the hidden level.
    Then my post is specifying the level of
    Barriers
    that can be played 'better than perfect' which was labelled unknown in post #15 of rbates. Who can report the one(s) of
    Loneliness
    ?

15. HSuke

HSuke New Member

Oct 19, 2016
    #35 HSuke, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    Current Android scoreboard

My scoreboard as of 10/19/2016 on Google Play Games:

Sunrise: 157/157 moves; tied with global best
    Serenity: 190/191 moves; tied with global best (3 players)
    Mindfulness: 332/332 moves; tied with global best
    Journey: 234/234 moves; tied with global best
    Barriers: 161/162 moves; tied with global best (33 players)
    Loneliness: 302/304 moves; tied with global best (1 player: Mathvs, 9 people have 303)
    Distant Hearts: 389/404 moves; tied with global best (5 players)
    Recollection: 289/292 moves; tied with global best (5 players)
    The Fear: 245/245 moves; tied with global best
    Anxiety: 321/339 moves; tied with global best (7 players)
    Harmony: 363/364 moves; Global best: Preiner has 362
    Tranquility: 313/338 moves total; Global best: TwoKills: 312, Me: 313, Saltbearer: 315 (no one else is even close)

I just beat the game 2 days ago (I bought the game late) and am completing a walkthrough.

One of the 2 Loneliness Better Than Us levels I found is on "Mutual Respect". Everything else is listed in my walkthrough below.

There are at least 4 levels in Tranquility where you can improve by at least 2 moves. I haven't found any where you can only improve by 1.

Edit: I've uploaded my walkthrough at GameFAQs. Apparently, I currently have the top (i.e. lowest) combined total # of moves for the game on Google Play.

Please help contribute by messaging me (or replying here) if you find another BtU level.

16. SavCam

SavCam New Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Hi,
    thank to HSuke guide I'm tied with global best in almost all chapters, including Tranquility 312/338 :)

The solely point I'm still missing is how to get from 363 to 362 in chapter Harmony.
    Any change someone here on which level I should focus?

Thanks,
    Saverio.

FYI: on iOS score board there are 5 people currently that have Harmony 362/364.