iPhone Quarriors! - (by Icarus Studios, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Appletini, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Jakepaz

Jakepaz New Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Out in Australia

2. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I definitely need to play more than 3 games to be certain, but it looks like the AI always summon creatures when possible, even when they are sure to be destroyed in combat, instead of keeping the quiddity to use it in a more efficient manner. Might be an impression...

3. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Seems like a full release is a go, pocket tactics and the iOS section of BGG has confirmed its release, maybe I'll actually dust the darn thing off and play, I've just been so hooked on waterdeep!

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Have you ever seen the AI buy or use a spell?

5. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    LOL, I must suck, because the AI beat me 22-19 in the tutorial game.

On a positive note, for those that don't go to BGG at all, a rep from WizKids has posted on there, and said that they have found the problem causing the buying bug and are submitting a fix to Apple asap.

But on a darker note, advanced culling rules will not be in the game until the Quarmageddon expansion comes out. I asked if that meant we will have to buy the expansion to have access to the advanced rules, so I'll let you know when I get a reply.

6. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Well if any consolation:

1) Now some 5 games under my belt and I have yet to see the weird "Secret Swiss Bank Account" error on my iPad 3, latest iOS.

2) While I wouldn't claim the AI is brilliant, it now has beat me a few times and have seen it use random spells once in a Blue Moon (still not familiar enough with the game to comment if the spells were used intelligently or if they just got applied to the first applicable target).

I hope we get some single player stats in the future but wouldn't hold my breath on it.

I am really enjoying the array of unique monster abilities although I have yet to really recruit units with any clever combos in mind. Usually it's as simple as what is the biggest guy I can afford with interesting stats/abilities. While I'm sure the spells can be handy, I've rarely bothered with them (just like the AI players).

7. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Game is interesting but struggling a bit with the rules; the tutorial isn't very good unfortunately... doesn't even really explain the objectives or the game turn properly.

Will persevere but it's gonna be uphill ;-)

8. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
  9. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    May I ask where I can find the manual/guide for the physical game? The tutorial is not very helpful to noob like me. A teaching game is also welcomed, my GCID is griffin611.

BTW, PT has the review up and Neumann is not very wild about it:
    http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-quarriors/

10. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
  11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #91 LordGek, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    Yeah, I too found it odd that how in a two player game the game shows you every step of a players' move but bump up to 3 or 4 players and the game won't show you ANYTHING going on. :-(

Hey Gang:
    What is this advanced culling rule?

12. thevagrant

Jun 8, 2009
    With this advanced rule, any monster that scores is automatically culled. It means that you won't build a fearsome army of dragons since a scoring dragon is gone for good from your spent pile. And it forces you to balance between summoning and buying a lot more since you won't get a big creature to summon every turn.

13. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Oh, interesting, I could see that as a viable option.

14. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

It's the best option when playing semi-intelligent real-life players.

The expansions add a ton of really great dice and much more replay ability, so I see this game getting MUCH better as the expansions are added.

15. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Never heard of this game before.

If I like (fine, LOVE) Ascension, should I dive in?

16. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

#96 CzarCastic, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    If you like Ascension AND the luck factor that dice add to a strategy game, then yes, you should enjoy this game.

Edit: I posted quickly this morning, but I wanted to expand on my comment. It's basically a double luck game. You not only have to draw the right dice out of your bag (in real-life, it's a bag, anyway), but you also have to roll the right combination of dice to be most effective. Obviously, you can control some of the luck by deciding what dice to buy and what combos to try to create, but you always have the chance of having the perfect combination ruined by a bad dice roll. For this reason, a lot of die-hard strategists don't like the game. I don't mind this luck factor, but I normally play with the advanced culling rules to try to increase the strategy factor. This is not an option in the iOS version of the game, yet, so luck is going to play a big role until/unless they add other options. It's not a bad game, but it's not for everybody. I happen to like it. I even have custom wooden gameplay boards that someone on BGG was selling when the game was first released. :)

17. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    So with advanced culling, you never get to get rid of those weaker starter dice?

And for the record, I'm really loving this. I wish it were universal, so I could play it in places where I don't have my iPad, since my phone is always with me.

18. thevagrant

Jun 8, 2009

19. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Ah, cool. I'll probably switch to those rules when Quarmageddon comes out for iPad.

20. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #100 LordGek, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    That might be a bit odd if not able to ditch the base guys.

Actually then, in the devs defense, I don't think you really could use the advanced culling without the expansion with spells and abilities MADE to take advantage of this system. I mean if using the current dice set with no ways to cull the basic white mana guys, that would be stupid.