iPhone Quarriors! - (by Icarus Studios, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Appletini, Nov 28, 2013.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks but I want to see the real thing...

Unlike other soft launch titles, this one is too quiet that it seems it did not exist...

2. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Agreed, and I hope they don't think they kept to their "Out in November" statement with a soft launch. Not very professional.

3. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Nor inline with getting it out by year's end either. Since they did a soft launch, those usually take 3-6 weeks min usually and with the soft launch starting mid to end of November, it is highly unlikely they will get it out before the App Store holiday freeze.

Definitely someone in marketing there blew it on saying it be out shortly. Rather have the game prolonged in soft launch to remove issues than early release with bugs and then have to wait a long time for an update due to the App Store shutdown.

4. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I really do not understand the whole soft launch thing. So the game is hyped up. Customers cash in fist ready to go. Then game is released in only a few territories. Interest in the game fades as the next hot thing competes for gamers attention. Game finally released to crickets...

5. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I am told that here on iOS: soft launch == beta test. As I have beta-tested a couple of action games before I am sure this is BS. So why this is soft launched is beyond the understanding of my little fussy brain...

I just want to know if this supports async MP or not (sorry I did not go through the run down of the actual video, which I should have). Not here, PT nor BGG folks can answer this.

This is my last post till this app goes to the world. Ascension, LoW and many others already occupy all my gaming time, online and offline.

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Too true and even more maddening to me, I assume in a case like this, if the app has already been approved somewhere in the world, they can't blame any of these delays on Apple. Whizkids just have to flip a switch on their end to have it instantly show up around the world.

7. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    There's an interview over at indiecardboard that says online multiplayer is available via game center. My guess is that's why they're having a soft launch,to be certain that works flawless. To announce that it's coming out in november and then soft launch it is not the greatest marketing in the world.
    On facebook i saw a post that it will see a "wider release" in december.
    I'm pretty stoked for this and will be an instabuy when it comes out,it's a long wait nevertheless.

8. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY

Yup, in the Maldives and they're not sure but maybe Borneo too. [sarcasm]

Ridiculous. How annoying is this? Very.

9. Felonious Tub

Felonious Tub Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Unfortunately, I agree. I've been waiting for this one for a while, but in the meantime, heaps of other stuff is coming out taking my money.

I understand the theory behind a soft launch but feel it should be kept very short to catch the excitement.

10. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Are they playing weird games trying to time it so they're one of the last things out before the week shutdown?

11. Felonious Tub

Felonious Tub Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    I doubt they'd be playing the App Store like that. It's more likely that they just don't know what they are doing and stuffing it up just in time for Christmas, then they can wonder why sales are so poor.

12. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Releases December 16th (news from BGG).

13. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2011
    What's with all the conspiracy theories? There are lots of practical reasons for soft launches. It's an expanded beta test: for bugs, balancing, UI issues, monetization, and especially multiplayer server load. An ordinary beta test won't get you anywhere near what a soft launch will.

And soft launches in different countries don't really increase buzz, because the national press doesn't generally pick up on international releases unless they're extremely high profile. Just look at this thread; not a single person talking about the game. They're pretty much all like this.

14. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Well, there have been some issues mentioned on BGG, so we will see if they are fixed before the global launch next week. They SHOULD be, since that is the point of a soft launch, right?

The game looks awesome regardless, though, and I'll definitely be getting it at the "actual" launch.

15. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I just wonder if it's going to hit when the AppStore updates Sunday night or if this is going to be a simultaneous world wide release on Monday. I guess we'll see tomorrow if it hits NZ first but I kind of think it's going to be SWW release on Monday. Either way, I'll be picking it up as soon as it's available.

16. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    It's already out in NZ, so there's that.

17. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Right, so we can't use that to judge this one. Maybe we'll know once it hits AU that we have a wide release?

18. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Right, I wasn't thinking/paying attention. Sorry

I kind of hope it is a rolling release instead of a world wide, so it just hits tomorrow night instead of having to wait until an unknown time on Monday.

19. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So, Au, any signs of this yet?