Quantum Collapse vs. Warfare Incorporated - What to get now, will get both eventually

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by wikoogle, Jun 21, 2009.

1. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #1 wikoogle, Jun 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
    I'm a huge RTS fan. I hear these are the two definitive iphone RTS games. I'll get both games eventually. But which is the better game to show off my iPhone for now.

I do care about graphics and polish, as well as gameplay. But people seem to be complaining about the graphics of both games. I can't tell from the screenshots or videos which game looks better.

I was going to start with Quantum Collapse, but then I saw that Warfare Inc. has a lot more downloads/reviews and won some awards and what not so I wasn't sure which is the more polished game. Is Warfare the more mainstream game. Is it more polished, if so I'll get that and then get Quantum Collapse when that gets an update.

Also, has Warfare Inc. ever gone on sale before that you know of. It's at $5 right now. If it has gone on sale before, I'll just get it when the next sale for it drops.

Feel free to PM me if you have negative impressions about either game and didn't want to post them here. Thank you so much.

One thing that disappoints me is that game's icon shows the name as... Quan...lapse, which seems very ugly. I hope the devs fix it as promised.

2. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009

Quantum Collapse is the best. The developer is always working hard to fix anything that goes wrong with it. :) I love it, oh, and by the way, the developer is giong to fix that label problem so don't worry! :D Quantum Collapse is the winner for me.

3. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

plus its getting skirmish mode soon which will add a lot of gameplay. There are tonnes of options to vary the game

4. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I personally like Warfare inc. a lot better.

-Graphics are better
    -Controls are better
    -Pretty lengthy campaign mode
    -Has a ton of extra Add-On Mission Packs to download Free!!!

really the only things i would add for Warfare Inc. would be online multi player, Additional Races with Hero's, Skirmish.

I have Quantum Collapse as well and after playing it a while i am going to wait for an update because the game feels incomplete at the moment though it is fun and i don't regret purchasing it at all.

5. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Warfare INC has never been on sale. I really like it, though I've never tried Quantum Collapse.

6. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Command and Conquer Red Alert... when it comes out that is.

7. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Yeah, just another 6 months and 10 days...... :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

8. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    I say go for Quantum Collapse because I have tested it and trust me the dev needs to make some money because if he doesn't he might have to give up on multiplayer so it's you guys that will decide if you want it or not by how much he gets. Also the graphics on Quantum Collapse is more polish and the update will give it a skirmish and multi player(hopefully) and we might see some new units too.

9. NBM05

NBM05 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    I hope people support both games -- both games are very fun -- but of the two at the moment, Warfare Inc is better IMO. I've played many, many hours on WI, and find it to be a very well made, very playable, very enjoyable game. The controls are fantastic and really make great use of the iphone interface.

Quantum Collapse is fun as well, but the unit movement needs to be updated I think. The units run into things, run into each other much too often, and frequently seem to bounce around when they get near where you are trying to send them. Since you have to use gatherers to build with, this can be a problem if you're trying to build quickly but can't get the gatherers where they need to be. You also have to space buildings out far too much, and trying to fine tune the position of a gatherer (which not only bounce around and push each other around but also seem to get tethered to nearby buildings) so the game will allow you to build (when in fact there is plenty of room for the new building) while in a hurry can be far more of a challenge than it should be. One nice thing about WI is you can concentrate on your strategy because the controls will make it easy to do what you want to do. In QC, you can't always do what you want to do because you have to fight the controls a bit. The shooting and lighting affects in QC are brilliant, though, I like the air ships (and their physics,) and really like the spells and abilities.

In truth, I don't regret buying either game and I hope a lot of people buy both. Both developers deserve the support. Some people have complained that WI has gone too long without an update, but that hasn't bothered me at all since WI was a finished, well polished game to begin with. QC needs some updates, but again I have no regrets buying it and have gotten my money's worth as is.

As for the name of QC on the icon -- I'm surprised how many people that seems to bother. It hasn't bothered me in the slightest. It has no affect on gameplay what-so-ever, and I hope people don't allow it to affect their purchasing decision. For the people who do care, the developer has said he will change it, but in the meantime, the game is still very playable and fun.\

So ya, they're only a few bucks apiece. Get both, support both developers.

10. JavierDavalos

JavierDavalos Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    #10 JavierDavalos, Jun 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
    I don't really know what will happen with QC. But the skirmish patch including several improvements people from the forum asked has been submitted to apple.

I will also release a lite version sometime soon, and after that i'm done with the game unless some miracle happens and it starts selling more than a few copies a day. I mean... Stragea kicked my ass in sales, 'nuff said i'm very done with iPhone dev.

But to answer your question, go for QC. The greatest advantage it has over WI is that it has hours of very varied gameplay, every level is different in lots of ways. In contrast with WI where once you play for 30 minutes you've seen everything it has to offer. They are both great RTS games though.

11. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    That's really sad to hear. :(

If it helps, I'm sure that sales of your game is going to pick up.

More importantly, I think that if you do update it/polish it up, the title will continue to sell indefinately as more and more people stumble on to it.

For example, say that you polish up the game some more so that QC becomes THE definitive RTS game on the iPhone.

Every single time that any other RTS game comes out for the iPhone, including hyped titles like Red Alert, the reviewer will make it a point to mention your game as the current cutting edge game on the iPhone.

JD, you clearly already put a ton of effort into the game to deliver an outstanding title. Why not put in that much time into refining it, fixing the small problems and imperfections that others have pointed out, polishing it up to perfection. You'll generate a lot of good will in the community here. More importantly, it'll make tons and tons of people who are on the fence about your game, people just on the verge of getting it to take the plunge. And lastly, if your game becomes that polished, you'll get a mention everytime a site reviews any other RTS game, and this will drive sales to your game as well.

Also, imo, I think you shouldn't raise the price. 3.99 is a good price for the title.

I fully expect that if you don't abandon the game, your sales will increase from where they are, and more importnatly, the game will sell well continously so you'll get a constant revenue stream from it.

12. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Public Relations/Graphic Designer - Spiffcode Inc.
    Seattle, Wa
    Having been on the Warfare Inc. development team AND being a big supporter of Quantum Collapse and talking first hand with Javier about helping him with his project, it's disappointing to think he's considering abandoning QC and iPhone development.

I'm at work and on my iPhone so I'll give a thurough response when I get home.

13. JavierDavalos

JavierDavalos Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    I won't increase the price of the game it will remain at 3.99

14. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Javier, before you give up you might want to try dropping the price to a dollar for three days or so. I'm sure there are a lot of people on toucharcade who are interested in your game but don't want to pay four dollars for a game from an independent dev. If you drop the price you could boost it into the top 100 so regular consumers see it. Then after it gets higher in the charts put it up to 3 bucks. I don't know why but 3 dollars seems like a safer number than four. It worked for peggle they're hanging around ten at the original price after being around fifty before the sale

15. scottlu

scottlu Member

Sep 16, 2008
    #15 scottlu, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
    Hey Javier I'm the developer of Warfare Incorporated. I hope you don't give up on QC. I can appreciate that RTS's are a bunch of work, but we need more of them on the iPhone!

16. sundance kid

sundance kid Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    warfare inc one of my favorite iphone games. its simply amazing, and has tons of downloadable levels you get straight threw the game for free.:)

17. Rocker1

Rocker1 Active Member

Mar 21, 2009
    having bought and played many hours of both, i can safely say that QC is better imo, WI was very good, but there was not enough variety for me, only one faction as playable and enemy, that being said it's still a great game for rts fans. QC on the other hand, has you battling aliens, and a lot of variety in the missions. I cant wait for the patch with skirmish mode in it, and I hope JD doesn't give up on developing ipod/iphone games, because he is clearly a very good dev.

18. florbastang

florbastang Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Here's the thing: Your game will NOT sell well unless you make improvements to it. This is the fatal trap that developers get themselves into. They release a game that lacks polish and is missing (promised) features and the game inevitably does not sell well. But then they refuse to make the changes needed for the game to sell well unless the game sells well.

Moreover, price sells. Stragea is $2 cheaper than your game. In the App Store, the primary motivating factor is price, especially for small, unknown developers.

Bottom line: If you want QC to do well, you need to keep updating it. Specifically, you need to put in online multiplayer. Without it, it's not going to sell, and you're going to alienate every single fan you have of this game. Period.

19. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    +1 florbastang makes some good points, and I would hate for you to abandon QC or iTunes development prematurely. You have to evolve your product and your talent, and consider actively marketing your game. As an indie developer, you have to do all that and simply cannot expect your game to sell itself.

20. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Public Relations/Graphic Designer - Spiffcode Inc.
    Seattle, Wa
    Scott would know a lot about sticking with progression of an RTS. As said, he's been doing WI for years. Despite some followers and fans of his game not being patient (myself included) he stays with it and continues to progress.

All solid feedback and it's obvious, even the competition wants you to continue your development of this game. You and I talked abit, Javier. I know your situation a little bit and I know you need this to work. Follow your priorities, but keep your passion for this going. I promise you'll make something of it.