iPad Quantum Collapse - Update 1 features

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JavierDavalos, Jun 15, 2009.

1. JavierDavalos

JavierDavalos Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    #1 JavierDavalos, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
    --- EDIT --- this is what made it to the update

Skirmish mode:
    - 11 skirmish maps
    - You can choose the AI personality between Rusher, Turtler, Balanced and random.
    - You can choose what Spell the AI will use or set it to random
    - You can choose the difficulty of the AI
    - On this mode the command centers will attack to prevent unfair rushing

Selection triangle:
    - using 3 fingers on screen

Group Assignment and Recall:
    - through gestures (shown on video)

Others:
    - You can jump through the map by tapping the minimap
    - Performance increase
    - Fixed typos
    - Improved some of the cutscene drawings
    - The UI buttons are now semi-transparent
    - Fixed the text on the Main Menu buttons

It's not all of what's on my todo list so there's more work for me to do :)

--- original post -----

Hey guys.

The number one feature of update 1 will be skirmish mode, but i have been working on several requests from people on the forum, mainly group selection, assignment and recall. Also i'll make it so you can jump on the map by tapping on the minimap.

I've put up a video on what some of these features are, it's much easier to understand it if you see it in action than if i type it so let me know what you guys think.

And thanks a lot for all the support!

EDIT: If anyone is good at math we can try turning the selection triangle into a quadrangle, i'm decent at math i just don't have much time to think of that problem right now since triangle seems good enough. So if anyone wants to solve the problem for me here it is:

Given 3 points that form a triangle, generate a 4th point that will turn the shape into a quadrangle. The solution needs to match where a human would place the new point.

2. kazcat42

kazcat42 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Wow, very glad I bought your game now!

+1 for inovation

3. Mattman

Mattman Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Agreed, I was a little confused when you first explained it here, but now that I see it in practice it looks very creative and cool. Great work, I hope it brings more success to you!

Regarding skirmish mode, how many maps will be available to play when it is first added, and is there plans to continually add more?

Thanks for being so active on the forums, and good luck!

4. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Javier this concept is the coolest I've seen yet. But is there any to give us the option of using 4 fingers for assigning and 3 fingers for recalling? It you really prefer not to then don't sweat it. I'm following this game to the end. Btw, I play games really slow, especially since I have like 9 pages of games, so I won't be finishing QC any time soon.

5. JavierDavalos

Apr 19, 2009
    Matt: I think there's going to be around 11 skirmish missions or so.

Reaganomics: I tried, but the problem with selection with 4 fingers is that you can't see what you are selecting since all your fingers are in the way.

6. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

#6 walsh06, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
    that is really cool. Im going to get your game now. With skirmish mode too i think it looks awesome. Fair Play for doing all the work on your own aswell.

edit: i was just thinking it kind of reminds me of end war but touch instead of voice :D

7. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I have to agree with everyone here...that's a really innovative approach. Beyond the polish issues, I've been enjoying my time with the game. It has many hours of play and the AI is tough on medium, and way too tough on hard.

8. Chapperz :D

Chapperz :D Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    England
    for selecting,why don't you just have a button you press then two fingers to decide where the selection box it.a box it much better that a triangle

9. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Done deal.

10. JavierDavalos

Apr 19, 2009
    If anyone is good at math we can try turning the selection triangle into a quadrangle, i'm decent at math i just don't have much time to think of that problem right now since triangle seems good enough. So if anyone wants to solve the problem for me here it is:

Given 3 points that form a triangle, generate a 4th point that will turn the shape into a quadrangle. The solution needs to match where a human would place the new point.

11. chris1215

chris1215 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    That video sold me. I will be purchasing this game

12. Mattman

Mattman Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Sweet man, I'm so glad to see a committed developer around here, right now I'm loving playing through the varied story missions, skirmish is icing on the cake (very tasty icing I might add ;) )

13. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    Very good, now we're getting somewhere!

The new selection mode is better but a triangle is a little awkward, I find. Why not a rectangle? You'd only need two fingers on the screen, too.

And make the font a little bigger.

14. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    Warfare Inc uses a more simple way to generate a selection rectangle. Watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ktezzyxlmc

15. JavierDavalos

Apr 19, 2009
    Yes but when i played warfare inc i found it was not great for selection since sometimes it would do some unnatural rectangles.

I don't want to give up the zoom feature for a two finger selection. Maybe we can turn the 3 finger selection into a rectangle, just like WI turns two fingers into a rectangle, we'll see what happens.

16. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    #16 Kuratsu, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
    So why not make 3 fingers trigger zoom and 2 fingers trigger selection?

17. florbastang

florbastang Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    I agree. PLEASE do not ever sacrifice the zoom feature. I'm so glad someone has finally put a zoom feature into a RTS game.

Anyway, things are really shaping up for the game. Looks great!

18. kahanejosh

kahanejosh Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Student - Game Developer
    England, UK
    Rather than skirmish missions, can we not have skirmish like on a PC game? So we choose our faction/team and choose the map we want, and game type. E.g I choose to be aliens, on the map mars, in a deathmatch.

Also what would be cool if you did it like this, you could choose to have low or high map resources, and if you really want to stretch it with lots of work, have different ages, like in the Age of Empires games for example so that when you upgrade the age for a certain amount of resources, you can upgrade your units.

You seem like a passionate developer and thats great, you should definetly make this one the top games on the app store, you just have to give it all you got, which Im sure you are. Thanks Javier, and keep the great updates coming.

19. JavierDavalos

Apr 19, 2009
    It's not a bad idea, but it goes against what iPhones users already see as zooming. But i'll think about it. It's not a bad idea it just goes against all other apps.

20. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    3 finger zoom sounds better for me as well . And 2 finger box selection.
    If you really want to use 3 fingers for a rectangle then you can have 2 fingers act as the edge corners, and assign the third finger the midpoint of the opposite side. SO if you have a rectangle, label the bottom side as A and the top side as B. Two fingers can act as the corners of A, while the third finger can be the midpoint of B.

But 3 finger zoom, and 2 finger box sounds better to me