iPad Quake3!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Finchypoo, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Finchypoo

Finchypoo Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    #1 Finchypoo, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
    Check it out on Shacknews. Its real this time.

Id is working on it so no weird jailbreak port this time. I guess this explains why nothing ever came of those old videos of Q3 on the iPhone.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/57392

Anyways, I'm excited as shit about this one. Can't wait.

w00t w00t

2. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    omg wow good

3. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Omg yea woot woot *parties*

4. Diggity Dan

Diggity Dan Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Ninja (..no really I swear)
    [480] :: AZ
    Nice find! :eek:

I'll be really excited about this if they'll have some form of online play... Although I won't hold my breath.

5. Finchypoo

Oct 10, 2008
    I guess only time will tell, but Quake3 is all about multiplayer, I dont think they would leave it out.

QuakeLive is a total blast, If they could just make QL for iphone that supports the same convenient server selection and skill matching as QL it would be amazing.

iPhone vs iPhone only though, it would be a laugh to take on some of those QL players with an iPhone.

6. rhcpdrummer

rhcpdrummer Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    whoa, it'd be sick if this came out in the appstore
    but the dev would have to get passed that stupid accepting policy or whatever that apple is so uptight about

7. Finchypoo

Oct 10, 2008
    the Dev is Id, they made Quake3 in the first place, so its totally legit.

8. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Excellent news!!! And even better, who more experienced than id to make a FPS work on the iPhone? I guess it seemed inevitable really.

Man, it wasn't long ago we were talking about the lack of FPS on the iPhone, and yet now it seems like the new fart app. Definately tracking this one.

9. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    #9 hkiphone, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
    Wow, Q3 was awesome as multiplayer online. But what will make or break it are the controls. I was thinking something like iDracula for movement and aiming, but then how would you fire??? Can't have it on auto firing... Can you? Then you'd miss out on sniping and stalking the enemy by giving away your position when turning...

EDIT: oh I get it! Imagine holding iPhone facing you horizontally. Tilt forwards and backwards for the obvious. Tilt left/right for sidestepping. Left on-screen wheel for aiming. Right side has button overlays for jumping, crouching, and firing.

(Was all that implemented in "Edge" the FPS game? Can't remember... Gave up on that at v1.0)

10. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    A massive title like Quake, being ported to the iPhone by it's legal owners? Apple will approve without even testing it (pretty much anyway) because they see the money signs on the horizon.

11. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    I really hope that this does end up in the app store...soon! I would love my iPod even that much more!

12. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Quake live would be amazing ipotch im one of the beta testers and maybe if we are lucky they will make iphone version free too

13. touch32g

touch32g Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    love this game

i heard it was going to be free on a website but that might be something to do with a jail break version

14. Finchypoo

Oct 10, 2008
    That's the only really good control scheme I can think of.

In a way you could dedicate a rectangle in the bottom right of the screen as the "mouse pad" and dragging your finger in there is like moving a tiny mouse. That seems more mouse like than an area where the farther your finger is from the center the faster you turn in that direction, like a game pad joystick.

As for the other FPS, that was Cube, and I think that game pad method I mentioned is what they use now. v1.0 used tilt for mouse aim and buttons for movement, their latest patch reversed that. It never ran fast enough to really play and it wasn't tuned right to be anything less than really awkward. I would assume Id would give this the level of polish it needs to really work.

15. hkiphone

Oct 7, 2008
    the free thing is playing Quake Live via your web browser (currently winXP/Vista and IE or Firefox only, for now)
    IPhone may or may not have a cost

16. hkiphone

Oct 7, 2008
    Holy crap... Am trying this at work and saw that I'm now in a queue to play, because they don't want to overload the beta test servers..... Currently in position 14,596!!!!! Oh my god. Well, at least I'm now registered as HKiPhone. Maybe when it's fully operational we can setup a TouchArcade.com clan! Any other Q3 veterans here?

17. Finchypoo

Oct 10, 2008
    Veteran, well I've played it since it was originally released

am I of Veteran skill.......haha, not really.

Playing QuakeLive closed beta has been a very humbling expearience :-D

18. No Hero

No Hero Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    woah, so this is what id software has been secretly doing

19. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I had 2 wait like 3 months but now I can play and I really like TA clan idea

20. Finchypoo

Oct 10, 2008
    the Shack article seems to mention that in addition to this, they have a secret iPhone project underway..but its hard to tell exactly what is implied.