iPad QuadNoid - best breakout game ever!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by bartekhugo, Aug 27, 2010.

1. bartekhugo

bartekhugo Member

Aug 27, 2010
    #1 bartekhugo, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
    [​IMG]

Quadnoid is a breakout game with addition of couple new features.

iTunes Link: QuadNoid AppStore link

- simple but wonderfull and fresh graphics with particle engine
    - 11 different powerups
    - 20 different bricks (some are special) each brick plays different tone of sound while destroying it (sometimes it might create a very nice melody)
    - 81 interesting levels (looped for infinite score)
    - game state autosave
    - background iPod music allowed
    - possibility to control a paddle by tiling device (+50% points more) and sensitivity settings for it
    - excellent collision accuracy
    - Openfeint integration (best score & best level leaderboards plus achievements)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Developer info:

Twitter: twitter.com/bartekhugo
    Blog: http://student.agh.edu.pl/~thret/blog/
    Mail: corhydron@gmail.com

Opinion:

Everyone who has played this game says the same thing: "Best breakout game in AppStore!".

2. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Why is it best ?

3. bartekhugo

bartekhugo Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Well, i was trying a number of those type of gams from AppStore, and always i was like: ehh that's not i what i'm expecting from those kind of games, something is missing, something is not right.
    With QuadNoid it's different... ball accuracy is very good, you can hit the ball with the paddle precisely where you want + very nice graphics i think, smoothness, some striking visual and sound effects make the gameplay even better.

Here are 3 promo codes for you guys, so you could check it by yourselves:

KTHAHLWXLTXP
    4P477E4KNEJF
    ERFKNX76FW3K

enjoy!
    May the QuadNoid be with you!
    and sorry for my english :)

4. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    I would pick it up if a universal update is coming so I can play it on the ipad.

5. bartekhugo

bartekhugo Member

Aug 27, 2010
    @cranker, game is now in appstore only for 3 days, ill see how seles is going and make and update then, but im seriously starting thinking to create an iPad version anyway, because more and more people are asking me about it :)

6. MissLashes

MissLashes Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2010
    U.S.
    Game Impressions

Couple things I'd suggest are to update to latest version of openfeint. Also, I noticed a couple bugs: crashes when I try to access openfeint, and my settings don't save (I have the music turned off in settings but everytime I open the app, the music plays.)

Besides those points, I find that it's a very nice game. I've tried almost all of em of this type, and with done fixes here and there, this could be one of my top arkanoid games I own. I love the graphics in-game, but the glare on the icon is ugly.

Overall, once the bugs are fixed I'd definitely recommend this. Worth 1.99 for sure.

7. Citsade

Citsade Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Best breakout game ever, on any platform, is Bust Em and Bust Em 2 for pocket PC

8. bartekhugo

bartekhugo Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Has anyone else has a "saving setting" problem ar any other problems? openfeint/craches fixed, but i would like to fix as many bugs as possible, before submitting update...

thanks

9. MissLashes

MissLashes Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2010
    U.S.

The save settings works now. Dunno why but it's not an issue anymore :)

10. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Does this live up to the thread title?

11. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Ball control totally waste some Brick Breaker in app store despite they have a ton of good design but it's far to be the only major point in Brick Breaker design.

For the visual, well they are rather basic and the style is very common for Brick Breaker made by small indie dev. Perhaps effects are better but that would have been a change to not use that very common graphic style. For example another style that could have been a much better choice, still simple and used in many games but not in Brick Breakers is a style like Geometry Wars.

A key of Brick Breakers is the level design, and one major element of their design are the obstacles. For sure power up negative and positive are also important elements, some of the best used some negative power up and identifiable bricks releasing them to be an important part of level design.

I have installed on my iPad 14 Brick Breakers and I don't count those I deleted. That says how much I like the genre. I like the ambitious approach but is really it fulfill the targeted goal, I have some doubt. :)

I'm a little worry about the current state that seems a bit buggy but I'll probably buy it anyway.

Well put a lot of caution if you make the app universal or make an iPad version. Not many tried and those that did failed pathetically. SuperBall 3 HD is awful because of ugly fps, but the iphone version is a very good game even on iPad, thanks it wasn't universal. Paper Breaker is universal and HD version is awfully boring, it seems that for the port to HD levels has been redesigned alas for the worse. But it's possible that it's just mainly the demo is a top quality game and not the full version. But it's not only the reason the gameplay has been totally changed because of Ball size and speed plus bigger HD levels too long to manage.

The only very good Brick Breaker for iPad are HD only, it's firstly Enchanted Forest plus a game not really a Brick Breaker but a game mixing Brick Breaker and Pong, Splash Duel. But thanks many iPhone Brick Breaker plays very well on iPad doubled like the best of all, Block Breaker Deluxe 2.

12. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    I try find some description and reviews and yep it seems quite a worthy one. It has an idea I was thinking that had to be developed a bit, allow move the pad in all directions. In fact Splash Duel has this but it's because it mixes Brick Breaker and Pong.

I'm not sure Bust Em 2 can beat Block Breaker Deluxe 2 that have ton of different bricks, plenty power ups, an amazing level design diversity and even many bosses. Not to mention the great controls, funny mood with a small girl commenting some of your moves, and more.

That said better or not than Block Breaker Deluxe 2, Bust Em 2 would be a great addition to igames. I have seen on developer site that they have started igame developing/port and a blog allowing participate. I'll probably try suggest them a port of Bust Em 2.

13. Tikicobra

Tikicobra Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    The best breakout game ever is Shatter.

14. bartekhugo

bartekhugo Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Im sending update to apple in about 3 hours, so please tell me if anything else is not working correctly..
    openfeint will be fixed,
    there also shouldnt be more problems with save settings, and i tuned sounds in game...

15. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    Too late for this update but here few things I quoted when using ios 3.2.2 and an iPad. I made a hardware shutdown to be sure it's not because of unclean state of the iPad:
    • Plasma Ball and Fireball effects result in a large very pale square constantly dawn with the ball at top left corner. This hide everything covered by the square.
    • I played some games and never saw the extra life bonus when I saw the skip level bonus about 10 times. The faq give them a respective probability of 0.2% and 0.5%. It seems there's something wrong.
    • I haven't quote problems with save, when I quit during a game, at next launch I had the opportunity to continue.
    I'll make a more general feedback in another post later.

16. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    #16 Qordobo, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
    Some feedback about the game, but I couldn't really play the game because the plasma and fire ball bonus bug is a real trouble. So for now I could only play the first 10 levels, anyway:
    • The black background is a real trouble on iPad doubled because the doubled screen doesn't cover all the iPad screen and this background is black too so you don't see the borders of the game. An option to change this background color a little could solve this special problem.
    • Require to always start a new game at first level is tedious. A level selection or a chapter selection would be much better.
    • The level design of first 6 levels is well a bit pale. But when level design start using unbreakable bricks then levels start be a lot more fun. Alas I could not see much, only levels 7 to 10. My feeling is that this start with 6 flat levels isn't a good design. Some relief much sooner through some obstacles design with unbreakable bricks would make it much better. But the impossibility to select a level or chapter at beginning of a new game doesn't help because it constantly force replay the first 6 levels a bit tedious.
    • The pad can be moved out of the screen but only the half of the pad, well allow move it out more is better and allow better control when the ball comes very close to a border.
    • There's no local scores, only through openfeint. Some games use also openfeint but allow use it only for local scores when the user doesn't accept connect to openfeint. So openfeint seems able to manage local scores but your game doesn't use this possibility.

There's potential in this brick breaker and the controls are good. But to really compete with the best brick breakers on idevice, it needs a lot more, like much more different power up, much more different sort of bricks, more different sort of unbreakable bricks, a level or chapter selection, avoid use any level with no relief like the first 6. Such level without unbreakable bricks could be used sometime but then it requires have a deeper bricks design. For example see the bricks that will throw a death bonus can be enough to setup some relief in such sort of levels. The best example of this approach is Enchanted Forest. But the main key is the use of unbreakable bricks.

Well this feedback is a little too direct and sort of brutal. I'm sorry for this but well it's also not a very good idea to claim it the best. :) But also quote that I feel some potential. But I'm not sure that Brick Breaker still sell very well on idevices and even when they have much more features and attracting graphics. So you could not feel much motivated to start improve it deeply through many updates. And I'll understand that, but I hope that at least you'll solve the bugs.

17. bartekhugo

bartekhugo Member

Aug 27, 2010
    @Qordobo

Thanks for your feedback, but... :)

Well to be honest, i wasnt thinking of this version as a one for iPad market (my wrong probably, but i was hoping to create an iPad version of QuadNoid in the future). I also dont have an iPad so i couldnt test it on a real device, i used for that an iPad Simulator and it was working fine on it. Also the particle engine used for plasma-/fire- ball hasnt been made by me, ill try to investigate that anyway, but i cant promise anything now (on my simulator it is working fine),
    The background color settings... maybe its a good idea ill think about it.

i forgot to chage it in the faq section, first it was like this, but there was too much of them falling down so i changed extra life probability to 0.075% and now its fine - it should be a rarely bonus i think :)

Something like this is in a lot of games, and i like it. its mainly for fair competition, but also you have to play wisely, so you could see all of them and get to your favourite one. Adding a feature to allow choosing a level is not hard but i dont want to have it. You are the first person suggesting that actually...

There are some levels with obstacles but i dont remember how much exactly... i had a dilema while designing levels, i wanted them to be not the easiest, but also playable for everyone (not extremly hard).
    The plan is to add couple new levels once on a while... ill see.

Control of a paddle is simple - where your finger is there the paddle is, so its impossible to put it away from screen, and with accelerometer i decided to do it the same way as with the normal control so there would be no confusions

That would be fixed in upcomming update. :) (Openfaint fail in 1.0 version, sorry for that)

I was having a lot of ideas for powerups and different bricks but i think too much is also not good so i choosed simplicity. From the beginning i wanted it to be not to complicated, nice and fun game.
    And i think it is. Honestly i like it very much.

Once again thanks very much for your feedback Qordobo. It is very helpfull. I wont change the game completely, but maybe ill make some small changes thanks to you.

18. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    This point is strange I don't remember have quote an iphone game with a specific bug on iPad. I hope you'll be able fix it, currently it isn't playable on iPad.

That's a very low percentage so a very rare event, you take the risk that sometimes some player will never get any during a long time.

Well it's the first Brick Breaker I see with this choice. There's also arkanoid but that was standard old design that became obsolete for good reason. For the competition there's always the high score. The problem is force the player into gameplay repetition. Roguelike games can offer them such approach because there's a lot of random generation involving a very different play each time you restart.

Instead of level selection a chapter selection is fine too and it mix a challenge approach to finish each chapter with some tool for player to skip replay again and again the same first levels.

But yes you must do it as you think.

Yes obstacles can make a level very difficult, but well levels can't be only some bricks to destroy spread through a level. That sort of level feel very similar. By playing many Brick Breakers I noticed different ways used to build levels with a personality:
    • Obstacles is a great tool but yes this can make some levels very difficult.
    • Visible targets is a good tool, this can be bricks with visible power up positive or negative. In some games there's unbreakable bricks generating a power up each time the brick is hurt. In one some cages can free a faery that could help a little. Some special bricks allowing destroy unbreakable elements to open a path serve as an intermediate target in a level.
    • Attacking elements can help build a distinctive level, in a way negative power up are sort of elements like this, but some brick breakers develop it further, like bricks moving down that destroy the pad is hurt, moving elements throwing bombs, slow brick generation that destroy the pad i one brick reach the bottom and a special brick can be destroyed to stop the spawning, and more
    • Moving bricks and moving obstacles can help build distinctive levels that are often more difficult.
    • Some Brick Breakers developed elements with more interaction with the ball. For example QuadNoid have one brick generating a random bouncing. But I quoted many other like portals with point in and point out, bricks generating a temporary faster bouncing, bricks that block the ball in one way and not the other way, bricks with a sort of gravity effect, and more.
    • A power up special schema can make a level distinctive, for example a level with many power up of one or two types can build a special level.

Yes that was with accelerometer that I was trying that I got this feeling. Well I see your point and anyway for most Brick Breakers I use Touch and not Tilt. About that I think it's a very good idea to give a bonus if Tilt control is used.

19. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    1000% Yes.

20. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    Really? I watch some video and if the approach has originalities I notice some points like:
    • Beat boss seems very long, too long and repetitive.
    • There's very few different power up, only few positive.
    • There's no negative power up but in a way this is replaced by sort of attacking elements that could hit the pad.
    • There are different shapes for levels, square for a vertical play, horizontal for a horizontal play pad is at left, and circle. But there's zero usage of obstacles meaning that levels tend be too similar despite bricks waves design.
    • All in all I didn't felt there was a good diversity from video I saw.
    • It seems more like a space invader where the ball is your weapon, but far to have the same diversity of best space invader games, not too mention that vertical shooter allowing leave the borders allow quite more gameplay depth. It's an interesting approach my worry is it is perhaps too repetitive.
    But it seems an interesting pick anyway, and the graphics tend to be quite cool with some links with the style of Geometry Wars.

Yes that's just a feeling from some video. :)