QiK Video Streamer Thoughts?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by jlake02, Oct 21, 2008.

1. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    Anyone see the Kevin Rose video of Qik (pronounced 'quick')? Basically it's an application that streams live video from your phone to the internet. I'm not sure if you can record locally (which would be great).

Rose (who has been right on a few of his specific Apple predictions) claims the app will (somehow) be approved by Apple in the near future.

I really want a video recorder, but a streaming video player is cool too! :)

2. networkman

networkman Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    toronto, canada
    Qikkers as they are called are going to be everywhere.

This app already exists on a jail-broken iphone. I'm using it. And it works like a dream.

Similar to the concept from

www.justin.tv

But this is a walking camera in production, streaming immediately to the net while you walk around live.

It's way cool. It's worth jail-breaking your phone to try it out.
    I expect it will be on the Apple App Store by the end of this month. What Kevin was showing was the app running on an un-jail-broken iphone. I want that now.

Bill.:eek:

btw this is going to be BIG. REALLY BIG.

3. jlake02

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, I do some work with Ustream.tv and I think they will have a similar streaming app as well. Just wish SOMEONE would make a recording app (non-jail) that you could record videos with. :/

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I think a lor of people want a video recording app. Problem is that Apple does not allow devs to access the live cam feed. So unless they change the rules then we have to wait for Apple to make their own video app =/

5. jlake02

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, the lack of a video recorder really angers me.. even more than no copy/paste.. it's insulting that Apple has left the feature out although jailbreaks have proven it works great on the iPhone (so it's not a hardware/firmware issue).

6. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    makes jailbreaking sound more and more appealing all the time.
    hell my UNBROKEN phone already crashed and erased ALL of my contacts.
    I guess I've got nothing to lose now...