Universal QB - a cube's tale (by Stephan Goebel)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Stephan_Goebel, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Stephan_Goebel

Stephan_Goebel Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    I think about adding an undo button in an upcoming update. But I do not want to promise it. First of all I want to add new content. If time permits, I'll look at the undo button.

Hey, thank you! Hope you enjoy it.

Hi, it is portrait on phones and landscape on tablets. Both feel really great.

2. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just did level 55 in 2 under par, 5 more levels and I am finished, glad that you are working on new content, does that mean a new mechanic ha ha not pushing though, take your time.

3. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Oh, cool. Thanks (I prefer landscape on tablet)

4. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    #24 ROGER-NL, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Just finished the game level 60 was brilliant, got on all levels 3 stars this game was great fun specialy when you are a puzzle lover.

Waiting for the new content whenever it’s ready.

5. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Really enjoying this so far (picked it up last night and about a third of the way through. I would recommend this to fans of Quell and other logic puzzlers.

6. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    I always try to read "Out Now" and check comments of physics, or puzzle games that look interesting, and when I see Roger commenting (not to mention many other familiar names), my interest always peaks :D
    Nice game, congratulations Stephan! :cool:

I also wanted to chip in with some comments. Yes, please an undo button as already mentioned. I too had cases of accidental swipe mistakes that forced me to start over the level I was playing. It is a bit annoying.

Also, as I noticed on L26, I made such a mistake (+2 steps) and still got 3 stars. So I wanted to get the step counter to show and replay the level to confirm if I really under-parred it, but there is no way once you 3-star a level. Moreover, goofing around and replaying the level, while deliberately forcing many extra steps on this level I still got 3 stars :confused:
    I can understand that Stephan doesn't want to show the counter on first play of a level as many players don't care, but for those who care, maybe there can be a Setting that forces it to always show?

Game Center would be nice to have, even a straightforward leaderboard on level progress, and star count, as it is nice to see how GC friends are progressing. GC also is a free way for a dev to spread word around about the game as you can see on GC what your friends are playing. And it has analytics value for the dev, but there are other ways for a dev to get analytics of course.

Final note: nobody mentioned the secret share cube? I'm at L27 now and found one secret so far ;)

7. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Glad that you like it Sijs, you were a bit quite lately on the forums but happy to see you stil out there.

About the share cube for me that was the most wow level because you got to get all to the other side of a level, I want more levels like that please ha ha.

8. Stephan_Goebel

Dec 11, 2017
    Thanks, nice to hear that.

Save the best for last ;) Congrats for finishing it.

Hey, thank you for your comment. Yes, i think i will enable the step counter after the player finishes the level once. A lot of people want that. The stars at the end of a level represent your best run. So if you finished a level with 3 stars you will always see 3 stars. Maybe I should change that. Let me think about.
    And of course the undo button... I'm not finally finished with the decision. I think i will implement one, but I still don't know if it becomes an undo-last-step or an infinite-undo.

btw: Does anyone know if and how I can change the thumbnail under "Hot Games". That's so horrible!

9. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Thanks for being so involved here in the forum, Stephan! Not all devs do that and I know everybody here appreciates this a lot.

I think enabling the step counter after the player finishes the level once, independent of 3 star or not, would work yes.

When finishing a level you should show the result for that run. That is what everybody intuitively expects (how every other game that I know implements it). In the menu, of course you will show the best result.
    Maybe add the information why you got 1, 2 or 3 stars by e.g. showing the step values for each in "tiny print" at the bottom?

This kind of game is about the solution, not about dexterity, so if you ask me I say infinite undo ;)

The early levels occupy only a small part of the screen (canvas). It feels the cubes could be drawn larger than they are now. But I guess later levels are much bigger and will occupy more of the available canvas?

I think you need to change your first screenshot, because that's what is showing. Your screenshots are portrait, and the site design doesn't favor that. I see other games suffer from the same.

10. Stephan_Goebel

Dec 11, 2017
    It's update time

Hey people,

QB gets its first update. 10 new level with a fresh new cube. Oh, and the step-counter celebrates its comeback :) I hope you like it.

Spread the word and always have fun!

ST

11. Pantsjo

Pantsjo Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Netherlands
    Thanks. Great update. Great game!

12. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Thanks Stephan, very nice, just played two levels, like it, keep it up, and the best wishes, it’s almost februari but best wishes are always good right ha ha.

13. Stephan_Goebel

Dec 11, 2017
    You are absolutely right :D best wishes for you too!

14. Stephan_Goebel

Dec 11, 2017
    Thank you too :)

15. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just finished the game.

Attached Files:

16. Stephan_Goebel

Dec 11, 2017
    Awesome!!!

Hey people,

I am absolutely speechless and feel very honored! QB is nominated as Best Mobile Game at the German Computer Games Award 2018. How awesome is that?

Party!!!

17. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Congrats!

18. Maslan266

Maslan266 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Omg, Nice! Congrats!

19. DaveMApplegate

DaveMApplegate Well-Known Member

I'm so jealous. Some of these levels are so hard.

Congrats on the nomination! The game deserves it. I love the style.

20. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Nicely done, Roger.

I solved level 28 at par but redid the level to find the underpar solution after finding your post by chance that this level has a shortcut solution. The shortcut solution is brilliant. Very impressed that you are able to find it since this solution requires a sequence of key moves that is not at all intuitive initially.

Has anyone complied a list of all known underpar solutions?