iPad Puzzloop by Hudson (now $0.99)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Rocketman919, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    #1 Rocketman919, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2010

Puzzloop

*** IMPORTANT NOTICE ***
    The distribution of "Puzzloop" series will be ended at 3:00pm (JST), April 27th, …
    $6.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    *** IMPORTANT NOTICE ***
    The distribution of "Puzzloop" series will be ended at 3:00pm (JST), April 27th, 2012.
    After that, if you delete the application, you will NOT be able to download it again.
    Please note and we appreciate your understanding.

>>>>GOLD AWARD<<<<
    POCKETGAMER gives GOLD AWARD to Puzzloop for iPhone.

"Simple, addictive, fun. Puzzloop would work on any of format, but on iPhone it fits wonderfully."

Introducing the ORIGINAL loop puzzle, Puzzloop! First released in 1998, this game's success led to a lot of clones; once you play, you'll see why Puzzloop is still the best..

In this addicting and easy-to-pick up puzzle game, you eliminate balls that roll along a rail.
    Tap the touchscreen where you want the ball to go and connect three or more balls of the same color to eliminate them.

As you clear balls, nearby remaining balls will move towards each other to reconnect the chain. If three or more of the same color reconnect, they'll also clear, causing a combo and bonus points!

It's ‘game over' when the balls reach the end and run into your character. Solve Puzzloop before it makes you loopy!
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Action, Puzzle
    Release:Aug 04, 2008
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

one final post before bed. Puzzloop, by Hudson, is a Zuma clone (or maybe Zuma is a clone of it, because it says it was the first ever game of it's kind). I haven't bought it yet because of its steep price point (7.99) because you can only get so much fun out of a game like Zuma. I'm hoping they release a lite version soon, it might inspire me to purchase it. Goodnight everybody.

2. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Bump. Why has nobody looked at this?? This needs an article

3. MattB

MattB Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Web Designer
    Plant City, FL
    I posted a review. It's definitely a fun, polished game. I played Zuma a lot a while back, so it's nice to have something similar on the iPhone. This one's a keeper.

4. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    matt is it worth the price? cuz i would love to buy it but i'm waiting for rolando and a good racing game, like the one talked about here. Rolando is due to come out any day now, and i think it will have a high price point, so i don't know if i should get it. Your thoughts?

5. MattB

MattB Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Web Designer
    Plant City, FL
    I don't think I can help you with the worthiness of the game based on price. Your financial status may be vastly different than mine. I get a passive income from one of my websites, and I use this income to buy these games, play them, and review them.

Only you can make that decision. Personally I enjoy the game, and it'll be staying on my iPhone.

6. ChemicalWeather

ChemicalWeather Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    this game looks like a lot of fun, not ready for $8 though. god, im cheap.

7. ChemicalWeather

Jul 30, 2008
    so i was playing zuma at work today and found out it's a lot of fun, i can see it getting boring after a while so my question is: are there any achievements in the game? or something along those lines to keep it fresh?

8. MattB

MattB Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Web Designer
    Plant City, FL
    No, there's no achievements. There are stages you must complete, though. Achievements, to me, never make a boring game better. It just adds a layer of challenge to it.

9. ChemicalWeather

Jul 30, 2008
    alright sounds good, if there's a lot of different types of stages, that works

10. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    $7.99 > $2.99

This game is now on sale for the first time ever, has been in the appstore for over a year.

11. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I am glad that you posted this. I have been waiting for this to go on sale but starting thinking it would never happen. I would have paid $5 for it but I just couldn't do $7.99.

12. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    price drop: $7.99 → 99c.

13. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    What's so special about this game that it was EVER 7.99? :/

14. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    bizarre to see these old threads resurrected.

I liked the lite and will definitely pick it up for 99c. The aesthetic was a little "funky" but I am a huge puzzloop fan so it's hard to resist.

For those keeping score, puzzloop was "the first of it's kind" back in the day, as far as these marble-poppers go. They obviously took an inspiration from bust-a-move, but the whole spinning/aiming, pieces moving along a rail shtick was their (Mitchell's) invention from the start. They are pretty small and never get any credit - and of course Zuma and Luxor came along and ripped the idea with no recognition, and made lotsa money.

BTW there was a portable version of this game called "Ballistic" released around the time the arcade of Puzzloop appeared. It was super-low-tech (yeah, 8-bit GameBoy) but they gameplay was absolutely perfectly tight. I discovered it several years later and spent many, many hours lost in it. It was a bit simplified from the arcade version, but even then I think it was for the better.

15. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Nobody's done this yet so...

Puzzloop

*** IMPORTANT NOTICE ***
    The distribution of "Puzzloop" series will be ended at 3:00pm (JST), April 27th, …
    $6.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    *** IMPORTANT NOTICE ***
    The distribution of "Puzzloop" series will be ended at 3:00pm (JST), April 27th, 2012.
    After that, if you delete the application, you will NOT be able to download it again.
    Please note and we appreciate your understanding.

>>>>GOLD AWARD<<<<
    POCKETGAMER gives GOLD AWARD to Puzzloop for iPhone.

"Simple, addictive, fun. Puzzloop would work on any of format, but on iPhone it fits wonderfully."

Introducing the ORIGINAL loop puzzle, Puzzloop! First released in 1998, this game's success led to a lot of clones; once you play, you'll see why Puzzloop is still the best..

In this addicting and easy-to-pick up puzzle game, you eliminate balls that roll along a rail.
    Tap the touchscreen where you want the ball to go and connect three or more balls of the same color to eliminate them.

As you clear balls, nearby remaining balls will move towards each other to reconnect the chain. If three or more of the same color reconnect, they'll also clear, causing a combo and bonus points!

It's ‘game over' when the balls reach the end and run into your character. Solve Puzzloop before it makes you loopy!
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Action, Puzzle
    Release:Aug 04, 2008
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

Yeah, I don't get the $8 pricetag for two years when games like Atlantis Sky Patrol are $3 but hey it's only a buck now! Thanks for the sale!

16. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    This is the perfect example of a good game(and I know its good from trying the lite over a year ago) being so overpriced that people almost forgot it existed. 13 posts until today, been released 2 years ago, had this game been priced right or put on sale in 2008-early 2009 it would have likely made the top ten. Bad marketing and bad pricing.

17. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    haha, the game is kind of cursed :(

anyway looking at the design of the port, it didn't seem like they were too concerned with "dominating the charts" anyway. just like they put it out just to have it there and see what would happen, and then they left it out to rot. if they were more concerned then I am sure things would have played out differently, guess someone woke up one day and said "ah heck this isn't getting any sales, so...."

18. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I hadn't thought of that but your right. Had this game been priced at $2 it might have over a million downloads by now. Can you imagine how much money they lost by sticking this game with one of the highest price tags on the market for so long? Wow, it makes you think.

19. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    especially during the early days of the app store when there wasn't really much available, this game would have shot right up the charts and sold a ton if it were $3 or less.