Universal Puzzlewood Quests Premium (by Downcast Systems LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by elmogallen, Jan 9, 2016.

1. elmogallen

elmogallen Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Hey, everyone, I'm super happy that everyone is liking the game, so I posted some more promo codes in the Promo Codes section here.

2. Mattosai

Mattosai Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    used one , thanks, i'll see how far i can go in english :)

3. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Never seen this one either.

Used
    MR7KEJYPTHJ6

Thanks Elmo looking forward to the brain exercises. That's a "muscle" I don't work out often enough nowadays with Google and TV haha (;

4. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
  5. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    I haven't tried these yet so can't comment on them, but 2 of the characters are described as being for children aged 4-7, the puzzles requiring minimal reading and math skills. I think that's very nice!

6. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    I have a 4yo and 8yo and will have them play this over the next week and see how they do with it. I love when games have a "kid mode" of some kind.

7. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    And it turns out that was a good decision. My girlfriend and I spent the last hour playing this. Really enjoying the style, interface, puzzles, humour and well everything. :)

8. elmogallen

Jan 9, 2016
    I added the kid mode because when I started making the game, my daughters were 3 and 7. The 3 year old wanted to play daddy's game, but couldn't do the hard stuff, thus "kid mode" was born.

9. Skuba

Skuba Active Member

Jan 10, 2016
    This is really a little gem!! I was looking for something like this. Even if it is too cartoonish for
    My taste now i'm enjoying it a lot!!
    Thank you people for bringing this up and developer for making it!!
    Respect!

10. Valentia

Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    I am now a level 11 Fishmonger and have just finished the first world. And I am having so much fun! Off to the next world I go. I'm so glad I noticed this thread!

11. gakuka

gakuka Active Member

Feb 19, 2014
    I agree with everyone that likes this game, it's a great idea and I love the decision to go premium, thank you. My 3-year-old loves the kid mode and I'm having fun with the normal game. Great work!

12. elmogallen

Jan 9, 2016
    In the initial, unreleased versions of the game, the stories were much darker. The whole universe was originally based upon a mixture of Scandinavian mythology and demonology. This is because I was originally thinking of the game's story like a storyline from Diablo. The source material was a book of Scandinavian fairy tales and The Lesser Key of Solomon, stuff like that.

Then I saw how my kids and their 4-10 year old friends enjoyed the game (totally ignoring the story), so I thought... hmm... maybe I should make this a bit more kid friendly. ;-)

So there are no more blood spatters running down the screen after an attack, and some of the games were altered to be less "devilish"... In the end, I felt all that seriousness just got in the way of the simple, casual nature of the game. It was too gimmicky and trying too hard to be cool by putting on an evil facade.

That's not to say there aren't still references to demons. Lilian is a demon, and her father is a demon, and all the characters eventually visit the underworld.

The main difference is that now I think of Lilian's father more like this:
    [​IMG]

and less like this:
    [​IMG]

:)

Dave

13. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Sounds like you guys chose to deprive us of what would make this game much more appealing. A 4-10 yr old demographic? Don't know many 4-10 yr olds that would be interested in this regardless.

14. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    My eight year old daughter has become quite addicted, actually. :)

15. elmogallen

Jan 9, 2016
    @H4nd0fG0d, I'd say the demographic is more 4-99 than 4-10. It's just I didn't want to create a 17+ MA rated brain training game. LOL. Maybe there is a market for that too.

There is still plenty for older folks as well. I'm not sure a 10 year old will get the references to retro video games like Ninja Gaiden and Golden Axe. And there are a whole lot of Wheel of Time references...

Dave

16. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    This game is quite fun, thanks for the code.

Graphically it's all a fairly simple cartoonish style but it works quite well for the most part. There's a nice enough variety of games covering word, number, and abstract areas.
    There are only 2 that I really don't like: the maze puzzle and the matching puzzle, and both for the same reason.
    In a game where the time pressure escalates quite quickly without grinding, it's important to have the games to be equal in terms of potential solving time - i.e. very very fast. Consider the fact that nearly every other game can be completed with a quick tap/s or swipe provided that the solver can see the solution very quickly. With the maze puzzle, the correct path is usually obvious within half a second, but it takes a fair amount of time to actually draw the path through the maze, and if you make a mistake with the rather strict detection you can end up with a broken path that will cost you some more time. The matching game not only deprives you of any starting information but also punishes the player even further by causing a very noticeable freeze every time the player guesses incorrectly, which is practically guaranteed. These two games just feel unfair, so I turned these ones off. I can see that they might appeal to some players and might not bother most people, but viewing these in terms of game mechanic design they both feel a little off to me.
    Other minor annoyances would be the sudoku game and the divisor game, again simply because they require more time which may not be reflective of the time needed to actually 'solve' the puzzle.

This is really nitpicking here and the majority of people wouldn't be bothered by this but just wanted to put in my two cents. Other than that, though, the game is quite enjoyable especially since the option to turn off up to four games is given (quick bug notice: I can only turn off three. I can turn off four in the toggle menu, but the fourth one becomes automatically untoggled once I return to the main game. iPad Air 2) which makes the game more accessible to a larger audience.
    It's definitely a nice example of the 'brain' minigame genre, with more of a gaming appeal since there are the rpg elements, so I'd recommend it to anyone who thought the description sounded like something they'd enjoy. Cute and fun and polished. :)

17. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    FYI for the dev: The "rate it" pop up took me to the App Store, but once at the store it just said it was no longer available. I'm assuming that means the button is linked to the previous version, rather than this new one.

18. elmogallen

Jan 9, 2016
    Wizard_Mike, you are unfortunately absolutely correct about the "rate app" dialog. I've got a fix out for Android already. It'll be in the App Store after a review.

TheGreatEscaper, that Orb of Nope bug will be fixed soon too. Also, I'm going to make it so that you can turn off 5 game types instead of 4. I don't want to make it so you can turn off too many though or else people might breeze through too easily by just picking the easy ones. :)

About the maze game type and some of the others that take a little bit longer... I tried to mitigate that by giving more time when those puzzles are in play. I was talking about the maze yesterday with my daughter (who is now 10), and I mentioned that it seems to be the least favorite of the game types. She said, "But it's my favorite one!"

Dave

19. Valentia

Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    I love that there are a variety of puzzles. Someone's least favorite will be someone else's favorite. I love the memory puzzle. I don't love the maze puzzle, so I turn it off. The orb is a great feature!

As far as demographics go, I just turned 58 and am enjoying this so much! So, this nook of the little old lady market gives a resounding"YES!!!" vote. :D

I also appreciate how many worlds you have given us--this will keep the fun going for quite awhile.

I buy a lot of games, and this is really one of the more enjoyable ones. It's keeping me playing.

If you ever did want to release a darker version, I'd snap that up, too! I do love dark fairytale-y things!

20. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    Thanks for The code.

Rpg setting, dungelot 1 graphic style, variety in minigames, many levels and many worlds.

For me it's a 5 stars. ;)