Puzzle to the Center of the Earth - by Foursaken Media (Spelunky + match 3)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Foursaken_Media, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

No, you definitely move your character just like a regular platformer :p Hoping to get a trailer out in another week or so to make things more clear... but basically imagine a completely regular platformer (you can jump up on ledges, fall down in pits, jump over ditches, etc), except you can carve out the level based on the combos you get. The whole concept of the game is a synergy between the match 3 element and platforming through the path that you create!

It actually has a really cool and unique vibe to it, I think. The levels are really big so a huge part of the game is actually exploring around and planning a good path down. With limited energy you need to make sure you're not digging into a trap or into someplace where you can get stuck!

2. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Limited energy?

So is it all based on the levels or do you plan to add an endless or anything of the sorts?

3. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Rad.

4. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

You start with a certain amount of energy on each level, but you can find energy in the levels and there is a formula combo (for ex: red - green - blue - yellow in that specific order) that can get you energy too. The energy is a fundamental part of the strategy of the game - its what gives it a puzzle element and makes you think about where you need to go, what combos you need to get, etc. Without it it would be kind of like playing a platformer with unlimited lives/health... it would be like "whats the point?" :p

As for an endless mode, very feasible for a future update - we already have some really cool ideas. But I don't really want to talk about new modes until you guys play the standard game - trust me when I say the levels are huge, and i doubt anyone will be getting through all 80+ levels anytime soon! :p

5. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Wait, so you move your character? That's awesome!

6. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    All of that sounds really good to me, although I shouldn't be surprised when it comes to your games really. Getting more excited for it the more I hear and at first I wasn't keen as both types aren't really my favourites.

I still can't believe how fast you pump them all out even when compared to big studios, just imaging you all sat there on a coffee/energy drink drip.

7. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

8. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    HECK YES!!!! Man this looks even better than I thought! love that trailer! This is a great day for foursaken!

9. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Ye, I wasn't so hyped when I saw the screenshots although I love match 3 games but now after watching the trailer I'm really excited for this! This trailer says so much more than the screenshots!
    It's looking great!

10. SonixManix

SonixManix Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Will this be free or paid? I think having this be free would allow more people to enjoy it, and this would be a good example of a free game. It would get more recognition, etc. But then again, it's up to you guys. :) Good luck with your release.

11. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Trailer looks good, I like how the charachter looks at the start of the video. Can't remember if anyone asked before but does it have any kind of rpg mechanics in the game?

12. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Yep, this one will be free... it will have a one time IAP option to basically make it a premium game.

Yeah I guess you could say it has some lite RPG elements. You can upgrade your combo length, formula power, and buy, equip and use different items. For example you can equip a hard hat which protects you from a hit, a "compass" which you can place to help you find hidden secrets, etc.

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Fantastic. :)

14. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Wait, why "basically?"

15. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Bc its still a free game with a purchased IAP :p

16. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Sounds good, I love any rpg thrown into games even if it's lite. I think rpg elements can make games of all genres better.

Definitely looking forward to this and finally tonight I'm off work and can try out Phantom Rift properly. Only had about an hour with it so far.

17. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    You guys still looking early October?

18. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

#58 Foursaken_Media, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    Hey guys, we're going to be doing a small beta and need people to volunteer! Please only volunteer if you know you have the time and are going to give feedback.

If all of that sounds good to you, please email us at [email protected] with the following:

1. make sure the title says: Puzzle to the Center of the Earth BETA signup
    2. your name
    3. your apple id (we use this to invite you to the beta)
    4. your email address
    5. Your device and OS

We'll be picking probably around 15-20 people to test, and we hope to let you know ASAP about the next step :)

19. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    iOS 8 only? :(

20. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

#60 Foursaken_Media, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    Ok, check that... iOS7 is good. Not going to be a testflight beta after all... so anyone can sign up!