Puzzle to the Center of the Earth - by Foursaken Media (Spelunky + match 3)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Foursaken_Media, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Thanks for the clarifications....that double energy I saw then is a gameplay related thing, nothing related to the usual freemium trappings.

So...if I understood well...the game will be freemium with 'timers', but a single iap unlock the game making it a 'premium' one?

Seems fine to me.

2. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Agreed! I trust that FM will do it right. I will purchase the iap just to support them even if it's not needed. I'll show them some love for sure because they don't disappoint their customers

3. CatoSicarius

CatoSicarius Active Member

Meh... not really my cup of tea...But I will definetely try it out! But I was hoping for some large Bug Heroes 2/Block Fortress: War style of game...with 3d graphics and stuff. But you still have Phantom Rift and the third yet unannounced title, so I am happy!

4. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I will always try out a freemium from a reputable dev. If the game has long haul play potential, I have no problem paying a permanent IAP such as was described..I love mining games and am looking forward to this!

5. Apricosomoso

Apricosomoso Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Was Bug Heroes 2 a flop money wise?

6. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

This game is 3d :p But yep the next game we announce may be what you're looking for ;)

Not a flop, but probably not where we wanted it to be given the production values and cost. My point was that if we want to keep making games and stay in business, then we have to be flexible enough to try out different things and see what works and what doesn't work. From what we're seeing with some of our games is that the paid charts revenue is dropping month over month (despite staying in relatively the same overall paid chart position).

7. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    #27 aconfusedkender, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    ^^

So I wonder what does "work". Would coming out with it initially at 2.99 and then dropping it to 1.99 in a month work? Or since you'll usually release at 1.99 would a .99 sale for a week like once a month keep the stability of new customers? I think that like we've all seen over the last couple of years new customers are very skeptical about spending a whopping 1.99 or 2.99 on a game that they don't know about or from a dev they don't know, so therefore you aren't "expanding" your audience much(from no fault of your own) Now of course your fans & followers who know you put out great games will always be behind you. I hope that your freemium scheme for your Spelunker works out for you in getting new folks to try it and then subsequently check out your other games. I think that sounds like the gameplan?

8. CatoSicarius

CatoSicarius Active Member

#28 CatoSicarius, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    It's a shame that Bug Heroes 2 was not as succesful as you wanted it to be. It's my favourite game of all time and it was definetely your most expensive, your most complex and your most graphical intense game. The characters, the enemies the stats, the missions, all extremely well thought-out and nice-looking. I love it.

9. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The store sometimes surprises me with what does well it seems easily accessible apps if they get noticed do really well while for the hardcore player that wants something deeper it just doesn't perform well enough for the dev to justify continuation of such apps.

Just how it seems anyway, I do see some full games and deep apps going up the charts for a while but they never seem to stay there long and I have no idea what kind of revenue people make in the store.

As for this game I loved dungeon raid and so far only like Deep Loot as a spelunking kind of game so will have to see how it goes, but generally not my type of thing. Still looking forward to Phantom Rift and have hopes for this as you guys do well with everything you make.

10. GR3NADE

GR3NADE Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    #30 GR3NADE, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
    I have always wanted match3 by you, guys :) BH and BF (+sequels of them) are still the best, tho :p

11. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    TELL US! Tell us what it is!

12. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    a 3D journey game :D

13. Legendary_Slayer

Legendary_Slayer Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Well I don't know what spelunky is, and I'm not a huge fan if match threes, but I'll definately be checking this out!

14. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    ;) JCho, you follow them like I do, chase the rabbit trail, you can piece it together

15. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Ik what Mr. ;) said.... But I'm still skeptical. They undoubtedly have other games in the works than just the current Threesaken Trio... and I just have this gut feeling that that 3rd game isn't H&C2. Maybe I'm completely wrong, and it's just my powerful want for a sci-fi game on the scale of H&C or BH2 giving me this feeling... But there is a chance that, while H&C2 is being made, it isn't the third game of the Trio.

16. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Yeah I kinda hope that the third game is not H&C2... I loved the first one but I'm not sure how much you can improve it. It was so epic and amazing! I realllllly want the next one to be sci-fi!

17. SirHanet

SirHanet Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    This game looks like my cup of tea!

18. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I've never really liked the sci-fi theme I've always been more of a D&D, medievil and fantasy type.

19. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Lame!

:p

20. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    So, looking at the pictures and reading the description, I take it that gameplay is Match-3.. you don't really move your adventurer, but s/he descends as you match up, right?

Video will help when we get to see it in action :)